Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Is that what people do?! I've only been on the Bath ones and I've been asking about the nearest kebabs to campus etc. :lol:
    Yeah a lot, I've noticed it mostly on the Edinburgh thread

Lmao yeah I ask stuff like "where's the nearest wetherspoons" "how much for a pint in the student bar"

Not " well how does its average graduate score weigh up with other degrees ??? Where is it in the league tables????" Like omg seriously stop as long as you like it there then go there, especially now that everybody has applied anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy markschemes which are so brilliantly clear and not vague at all and explain everything perfectly
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelc142)
    Yeah a lot, I've noticed it mostly on the Edinburgh thread

Lmao yeah I ask stuff like "where's the nearest wetherspoons" "how much for a pint in the student bar"

Not " well how does its average graduate score weigh up with other degrees ??? Where is it in the league tables????" Like omg seriously stop as long as you like it there then go there, especially now that everybody has applied anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've never been to Spoons, really need to try it at some point :moon:

I enjoy markschemes which are so brilliantly clear and not vague at all and explain everything perfectly
    If you wrote any 7 of those, ad verbatim, would you get 7 marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I've never been to Spoons, really need to try it at some point :moon:

If you wrote any 7 of those, ad verbatim, would you get 7 marks?
    Oh my god I love spoons at my local it's £2.50 for a pint of carling

Sorry to sound so working class but what does ad verbatim mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm all about cider, beer is yuck

Haha no need to apologise, I'm sorry for being a snob it basically means word for word, so if you wrote down just 'vacuum' would you get one mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)

Haha no need to apologise, I'm sorry for being a snob it basically means word for word, so if you wrote down just 'vacuum' would you get one mark?
    Cider is too sweet for me
    Ohhhh I see! Sorry haha
    Hmmmm well this was my point about it being clear as mud, I have no idea, as I understand it the candidate has to briefly explain each point but contain those words to get the mark if that makes sense
    G485 & D1 mock tomorrow :lol: :lol: c3 went good today but fp1 was a weirdly horrendous paper so no doubt college will stop me retaking it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cider is too sweet for me
    Ohhhh I see! Sorry haha
    Hmmmm well this was my point about it being clear as mud, I have no idea, as I understand it the candidate has to briefly explain each point but contain those words to get the mark if that makes sense
    G485 & D1 mock tomorrow :lol: :lol: c3 went good today but fp1 was a weirdly horrendous paper so no doubt college will stop me retaking it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Beer just has this bitter taste that I can't seem to like

Ah, our mark schemes are a bit more specific...

I love the Economics mark schemes we have, they're so liberal For a 15 mark essay (highest mark question)
    Spoiler:
    Show

(b) Evaluate the view that the consequences of deflation are likely to be more harmful to an economy than the consequences of inflation. [15 marks]
    Answers may include:
     a definition of deflation
     a definition of inflation
     costs of deflation such as:
    – reducing AD as consumers wait for lower future prices
    – borrowers losing and lenders gaining
    – reducing business profits and prices fall
    – an indication of recessionary conditions
     the difference between good deflation (shift of AS right) and bad deflation (shift of AD left)
     costs of inflation such as:
    – uncertainty for firms
    – reduced investment
    – menu and shoe leather costs
    – borrowers gain and lenders lose
    – reduced real incomes especially on households with fixed incomes
    – reduced international competitiveness
     the different effects of cost push and demand pull inflation
     the importance relative rates and duration of inflation and deflation
     use of AD/AS diagrams
     evaluation of above arguments.
    Effective evaluation may be to:
     consider short-term versus long-term consequences
     examine the impact on different stakeholders
     discuss advantages and disadvantages
     prioritize the arguments.
    Examiners should be aware that candidates may take a different approach which if appropriate, should be rewarded.

You don't get 15 marks for writing 15 of those points; if you want a high mark you need to be doing effective evaluation. The best bit is 'Examiners should be aware that candidates may take a different approach which if appropriate, should be rewarded.' and this is how education should be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Beer just has this bitter taste that I can't seem to like

Ah, our mark schemes are a bit more specific...

I love the Economics mark schemes we have, they're so liberal For a 15 mark essay (highest mark question)
    Spoiler:
    Show

(b) Evaluate the view that the consequences of deflation are likely to be more harmful to an economy than the consequences of inflation. [15 marks]
    Answers may include:
     a definition of deflation
     a definition of inflation
     costs of deflation such as:
    – reducing AD as consumers wait for lower future prices
    – borrowers losing and lenders gaining
    – reducing business profits and prices fall
    – an indication of recessionary conditions
     the difference between good deflation (shift of AS right) and bad deflation (shift of AD left)
     costs of inflation such as:
    – uncertainty for firms
    – reduced investment
    – menu and shoe leather costs
    – borrowers gain and lenders lose
    – reduced real incomes especially on households with fixed incomes
    – reduced international competitiveness
     the different effects of cost push and demand pull inflation
     the importance relative rates and duration of inflation and deflation
     use of AD/AS diagrams
     evaluation of above arguments.
    Effective evaluation may be to:
     consider short-term versus long-term consequences
     examine the impact on different stakeholders
     discuss advantages and disadvantages
     prioritize the arguments.
    Examiners should be aware that candidates may take a different approach which if appropriate, should be rewarded.

You don't get 15 marks for writing 15 of those points; if you want a high mark you need to be doing effective evaluation. The best bit is 'Examiners should be aware that candidates may take a different approach which if appropriate, should be rewarded.' and this is how education should be
    Yeah exactly!
    That frustrates me a lot, especially with physics - how if the question asks "defines newtons second law" me saying "N.S.L states that 1 Newton of force will accelerate a mass of 1kg at 1m/s^2" will score no marks but instead " n.s.l states that force is proportional to the rate of change of momentum of an object in the direction of that force" scores full, imo both are reasonable definitions and mean the same thing tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly!
    That frustrates me a lot, especially with physics - how if the question asks "defines newtons second law" me saying "N.S.L states that 1 Newton of force will accelerate a mass of 1kg at 1m/s^2" will score no marks but instead " n.s.l states that force is proportional to the rate of change of momentum of an object in the direction of that force" scores full, imo both are reasonable definitions and mean the same thing tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, if it's clear you know/understand a concept you should be credited...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Bude8)

Yes, fellow cider man!

I've always hated the texture/taste of beer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yes, fellow cider man!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When I drink cider I get that feeling in my jaw, you know when you taste a really sour sweet and almost cringe, I feel like that about the sweetness of cider I physically can't drink it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yes, fellow cider man!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When I drink cider I get that feeling in my jaw, you know when you taste a really sour sweet and almost cringe, I feel like that about the sweetness of cider I physically can't drink it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People said my taste for beer would develop. It hasn't :lol: Cider doesn't even taste that sweet to me! It's pretty weird how our taste buds are all so different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    People said my taste for beer would develop. It hasn't :lol: Cider doesn't even taste that sweet to me! It's pretty weird how our taste buds are all so different
    I used to love it but now it's lager all the way, I think I sickened myself of it tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Is that what people do?! I've only been on the Bath ones and I've been asking about the nearest kebabs to campus etc. :lol:
    the SOAS one is full of people asking about when the **** they're going to get a reply from them. NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR APPLICATION THERE. NO ONE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    or normal

2.50? faaaarrk. I once found a 3.50 pint of ale in a pub in cambridge and was happy. This is what zone 2 london does to you. it's actually double that in a pub in shoreditch for a pint.

R.E Beer/Cider... I'm not a fan of mainstream lager, but I do love a bitter. Cider's too sweet unless it's really strong and not strongbow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guills on wheels)
    the SOAS one is full of people asking about when the **** they're going to get a reply from them. NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR APPLICATION THERE. NO ONE.

or normal

2.50? faaaarrk. I once found a 3.50 pint of ale in a pub in cambridge and was happy. This is what zone 2 london does to you. it's actually double that in a pub in shoreditch for a pint.

R.E Beer/Cider... I'm not a fan of mainstream lager, but I do love a bitter. Cider's too sweet unless it's really strong and not strongbow.
    3.50 is disgusting #ThatchersBritain
    Oh yeah I know, my dad works in canary wharf and stays near London bridge and he's shown me some of his drinks bills before.... genuinely nearly passed out at the idea of a £15 shot ffs
    I get really annoyed at the price of everything in london, it's just ridiculous,how can it be so much more expensive than everywhere in the UK (that's a genuine invitation for an economical explanation if you're reading bude)
    The most I've ever paid for a pint was £3.80 and I was so annoyed ahahah
    Ugh I cannot handle bitters unless it's a really pale ale

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    please help out- chance to win £150! surveymonkey.com/s/5NPGQF6

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I know, my dad works in canary wharf and stays near London bridge and he's shown me some of his drinks bills before.... genuinely nearly passed out at the idea of a £15 shot ffs
    I get really annoyed at the price of everything in london, it's just ridiculous,how can it be so much more expensive than everywhere in the UK (that's a genuine invitation for an economical explanation if you're reading bude)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The most I've ever seen is £5.50 in Haggerston, London.

Canary Wharf is Canary Wharf. It's a whole different world there.

Lots of people in a small space with limited numbers of jobs available and an oversubscribed workforce facilitates the generation of capital and thus wages rise as jobs only take the best of the best (because they can, since there's loads of people). Lots of people means little space so actual rents are higher, meaning pubs have to charge more anyway. Since those who work (and thus get bigger wages than the rest of the country) are the ones who spend the most, prices match what they're willing, and are able to, spend, as a rough percentage of their earnings.

I'm no economist but that's my explanation.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I love a bitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guills on wheels)
    The most I've ever seen is £5.50 in Haggerston, London.

Canary Wharf is Canary Wharf. It's a whole different world there.

Lots of people in a small space with limited numbers of jobs available and an oversubscribed workforce facilitates the generation of capital and thus wages rise as jobs only take the best of the best (because they can, since there's loads of people). Lots of people means little space so actual rents are higher, meaning pubs have to charge more anyway. Since those who work (and thus get bigger wages than the rest of the country) are the ones who spend the most, prices match what they're willing, and are able to, spend, as a rough percentage of their earnings.

I'm no economist but that's my explanation.
    That in a nutshell is why I hate London
    I walk around looking at all the money there and it actually annoys me haha
    Eg went to a marcus du sautoy lecture last week (AND I met him hell yeah!!!) and saw the shard for the first time (I'm not local to london) and just got really frustrated to see where money goes
    At the same time as food banks being the most popular they've been in 10 years in UK
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Went to Switzerland for a trip to CERN, bloody hell the pints there are like £6!

I can't actually give you too detailed an answer, but living costs in London are high, so there's a higher average wage there. Also, it's populated by some very wealthy people. Quite a fair few of them are not price conscious. These basically means people can sell things for a higher price.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.