Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    my exam is tomorrow and i've been doing terribly in the medify mocks and the ukcat official exams!!!! what can i do to improve???

how much harder are the real exams to these??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawini)
    I sat my ukcat today, I did pretty decent with an 806 average:

VR: 790
    QR: 830
    AR: 800

But I got a band 3 in sjt 😞 is it all over? Do any schools actually take anyone with below band 2??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got a band 3 aswell. Alot of schools dont give a damn about sjt. Its extremely stupid. How can a 17 year old school student understand the ethics and knowledge required in everyday medical scenarios.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatoneguy123)
    Just did my ukcat got
    590 verbal (very disappointed)
    800 quantitative
    620 abstract
    Band 2 sjt

Quantitative is very easy compared to medify and 1000 ukcat question book
    Verbal was harder- answers were very similar, not as distinct
    Abstract is about equal to medify and the ukcat book
    Sjt is equal to medify (practised least for it and didnt use the book)
    If u have any other questions hit me up
    Well done on your score, QR in particular. Would you advise against doing a few questions to warm up before the test?

Out of interest, what were your QR Medify scores?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThrowawayMike)
    Congrats on your score. Your message on VR seems to match every other post-test report I've seen. I'm not looking forward to it.

Could you please post your mock scores for Medify/Kaplan/UKCAT Official if possible?
    I finished mine 45 mins ago. Vr mock was 700 670 and 850. All medify. Got 590 for Vr...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatoneguy123)
    Just did my ukcat got
    590 verbal (very disappointed)
    800 quantitative
    620 abstract
    Band 2 sjt

Quantitative is very easy compared to medify and 1000 ukcat question book
    Verbal was harder- answers were very similar, not as distinct
    Abstract is about equal to medify and the ukcat book
    Sjt is equal to medify (practised least for it and didnt use the book)
    If u have any other questions hit me up
    I messed up vr as well. 590. But made up for it with 890 in qr. Perhaps not doing the offical mock and relying on medify was a bit daft. I scrolled through the official vr this morning. Thought it would be easy but nope. My advice to any future candidates would be learn from our mistakes and dont screw up vr no matter how simple it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamza_33)
    I finished mine 45 mins ago. Vr mock was 700 670 and 850. All medify. Got 590 for Vr...
    Thanks for that. How many questions did you guess and flag in VR and QR. Did you have time to go back to them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThrowawayMike)
    Thanks for that. How many questions did you guess and flag in VR and QR. Did you have time to go back to them?
    Guessed about 6 in vr. And 4 in qr. Got 890 in qr though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Just finished the UKCAT!

VR:590
    QR:830
    AR:750
    SJT: Band 2
    Average:723

Last year I got 623 average so that was great!

In all honesty, the exam was much simpler than all of the mocks I did.

The VR passages were longer than all the mocks I did on Medify and the UKCAT official mocks, but the questions weren't too bad, but I still only got 590.

The QR was simpler than Medify mocks, but on par with the UKCAT official mocks.

The AR was simpler than the UKCAT official mocks, but there were a few questions that I had to guess and flag and never got back to.

I would like to say thank you to those on the forum giving tips and motivation before the exam and hopefully we all get into med school!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterscientist2)
    Hi guys!

Just finished the UKCAT!

The VR passages were longer than all the mocks I did on Medify and the UKCAT official mocks, but the questions weren't too bad, but I still only got 590.

The AR was simpler than the UKCAT official mocks, but there were a few questions that I had to guess and flag and never got back to.

I would like to say thank you to those on the forum giving tips and motivation before the exam and hopefully we all get into med school!
    Well Done that's a great score!! Where you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    When entering the UCAS PID on the UKCAT site, do you enter the number with dashes or without?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Just finished the UKCAT!

Nice score, along with a 100 point improvement. Would flagging have helped at all in VR? How would you suggest I use my final prep time, with my test being tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Just finished the UKCAT!

For QR, was there a lot of data to read or was it quite simple (e.g. A graph or table)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just finished !!!

700 AVG!

soooooo relieved!

VR: 590
    QR: 690
    AR: 820

Very pleased

ReputationRep:
    Completely at devastated at how my ukcat went today. i got 583 average. is there anywhere at all i can apply to? or are my dreams of medicine completely over (I'm a graduate)*

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Took the UKCAT last week, got
    QR: 890
    AR: 690
    SJ: Band 2

AVG: 790

I was thinking about applying to the 4 years at Newcastle and Warwick, and I know my UKCAT number score is above the usual cutoff, but do you think the SJ score being band 2 will prevent me from interview?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=confusedspecimen;67868814]
    (Original post by Pawini)
    I sat my ukcat today, I did pretty decent with an 806 average:

QR: 830
    AR: 800

But I got a band 3 in sjt 😞 is it all over? Do any schools actually take anyone with below band 2??

Oh my gosh what no way thats A M A Z I N G CONGRATS!!!!! Could I please ask if you have any tips on how to improve? How did you revise? What were the questions like in comparison to Medify?

I know that St George's, UEA and Southampton definitely take in with band 3- in fact most schools do because sjt isn't that seriously looked at!
    I think medify questions are pretty similar but the 1000q book is so much harder, if you can do that comfortably you're well on your way to a 700+ score, shame I missed out the sjt in the book

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    Check your email confirmation to see what to bring for the exam in terms of ID as if it's wrong then you can't sit the exam! So check you have the right ID and don't forget it!! You aren't allowed pens,water, or even a hoodie with you. So make sure you dress warm-ish! Basically just bring you and your ID! Make sure you drink a bit before hand and eat but not too much! Definitely go to the toilet before you start the test as that's one less thing to worry about 😂Any belongings you bring, you can put them into a locker there! Good luck!!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Didnt get a chance to thank you earlier so here it is- THANKS!
    As for how they went, lets just say SJT confirmed I should be in a mad house lol. Got an average of 660 which seemingly on here is pathetic. Also you could consider me a re-sit applicant i got A*AAb first time (b in chemistry hence im doing it again and taking a new A-level, physcology from scratch on a one year course) so things not looking up atm lol, starting to regret turning down my biomed offer last year...

ReputationRep:
    Finally done! Graduate applicant here!

So my average was 753.33 (VR 670, QR 890 and AR 700) and Band 1.

VR: Really gutted with my score. For my mocks I would average >700, and I got 830 in my last mock (Medify)! I really think to do well in VR you need to come in with a stable and calm mind, which I didn’t have lol..I was quite nervous, and the guy next to me, he was banging away on his keyboard and hearing the clicking of the keyboard really annoyed me and made me have to reread things again and again, so I ran out of time for the last 3 sets If this happens to you, please move somewhere else if you can! The texts were easy to read in my opinion!

QR: My best section, although my worst in the Mocks lol. Just be focused and do the calculations quickly! I made a mistake early on, so wasted time having to correct it so I ended up missing last two questions!

AR: HARD HARD HARD! Omg…I either do really good or really bad in AR lol (when it came to the mocks), so I am glad I didn’t do too bad despite finding it HARD…I felt there wasn’t really any easy patterns for me Maybe I was quite unlucky

Overall, I am glad I did well enough for grad medicine! A bit gutted that I didn’t get higher, but ah well!

My advice: Try and be as calm as possible – it can make a huge difference! For VR, I read first and then answer questions (I know most people don’t do that, don’t change your technique now!). For AR, just remember SCANS and try your best (Can’t give much advice because it really depends on what you get)! For QR, make sure you’ve done enough practice questions on percentage change, averages and pie charts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carbon_)
    Finally done! Graduate applicant here!

So my average was 753.33 (VR 670, QR 890 and AR 700) and Band 1.

VR: Really gutted with my score. For my mocks I would average >700, and I got 830 in my last mock (Medify)! I really think to do well in VR you need to come in with a stable and calm mind, which I didn’t have lol..I was quite nervous, and the guy next to me, he was banging away on his keyboard and hearing the clicking of the keyboard really annoyed me and made me have to reread things again and again, so I ran out of time for the last 3 sets If this happens to you, please move somewhere else if you can! The texts were easy to read in my opinion!

QR: My best section, although my worst in the Mocks lol. Just be focused and do the calculations quickly! I made a mistake early on, so wasted time having to correct it so I ended up missing last two questions!

AR: HARD HARD HARD! Omg…I either do really good or really bad in AR lol (when it came to the mocks), so I am glad I didn’t do too bad despite finding it HARD…I felt there wasn’t really any easy patterns for me Maybe I was quite unlucky Overall, I am glad I did well enough for grad medicine! A bit gutted that I didn’t get higher, but ah well!

My advice: Try and be as calm as possible – it can make a huge difference! For VR, I read first and then answer questions (I know most people don’t do that, don’t change your technique now!). For AR, just remember SCANS and try your best (Can’t give much advice because it really depends on what you get)! For QR, make sure you’ve done enough practice questions on percentage change, averages and pie charts!
    Amazing score. Really well done.
    My worst nightmare is noise - it's so off-putting for VR, earplugs at the ready!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASupertramp)
    Amazing score. Really well done.
    My worst nightmare is noise - it's so off-putting for VR, earplugs at the ready!
    Same...I get easily distracted with noise and I am positive it affected my VR score The guy next to me was probably doing QR hence he was typing away. If this happens to you, ask them if you could move. I wish I did lol...it makes you lose track of where you are and it is just simply annoying!

Earplugs didn't help..they have headphones too (the big ones)..but it can be annoying having them on if you aren't used to the feeling (which is why I didn't opt for it).

And thank you! Good Luck with yours!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.