Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    Aren't you a Liverpool fan?
    Yes but I have quite a few extended family members who are Arsenal fans so I've bought tickets in the past (I live close to the Emirates).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    Not sure, a smarter person than myself would have a few options lined up but I feel like we've lost some great chances to line up managers this season. I wouldn't mind giving Sampaoli a chance, even Allegri (although near impossible) would be a fantastic choice.

What I do know is what to expect next season if Wenger is in charge, as does the majority of football fans. It's boring and now it's become painful to watch. He doesn't even seem to have the players playing for him anymore, they're just looking to see out this car crash of a season. That's the point where you realise you just have to move on. He's proven over the last three seasons (two if we're being generous) that he can't take his club any further, he always comes up short when it matters most and it's just not good enough for the standards of this club.

It would obviously be a huge gamble bringing in a new manager, no guarantee of top 4 which is usually the case with Wenger but it's gotten to the point now where we need to take new risks and bring in new ideas. We've been dwelling in mediocrity for too long now and in terms of our status in Europe; we're a laughing stock. A new manager with a new approach would help build us up again and give the fans something to look forward to, something which is evidently missing judging by the atmosphere in the ground.
    Allegri is too good for Arsenal (no offense to Arsenal fans) but it is what it is. Sampaoli has obviously done very well at Chile but he has no experience of working in a top 10 League never mind at a club like Arsenal.

Just getting top four all the time might point to a lack of ambition, but many Gunners might wish for those days back should Wenger be replaced. There aren't exactly loads of managers better than Wenger, so I still don't see where his replacement comes from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Yes but I have quite a few extended family members who are Arsenal fans so I've bought tickets in the past (I live close to the Emirates).
    Oh right, I live about 20 mins away from the stadium too. And yeah, maybe fans are finally voting with their feet, although I wouldn't look into it too much seeing as Thursday night games are usually unattractive for various reasons, I myself can't go due to work commitments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)

[/color][/b][/b][/size]
    this is shite arsenal r shite Liverpool r better and giroud couldn't score in a brothel

ReputationRep:
    Well if this season is anything to go by, we can and should have a few seasons out of Europe to sort out our **** then come back stronger. It doesn't matter if we can't get the best players, they don't see any ambition in us regardless of whether we offer CL football and will only come here to feed on scraps (because they've won things already with other clubs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    imagine modern fans being so spoilt that they think a manager joining a club and winning the league, 2 league cups and getting to a CL semi final, in 3 years.. is not a decent return.

Spent a lot of money? so what.. so do most clubs these days. their net spend is only 30m over uniteds..

Brought players? not his choice.. he was outspoken at madrid of his hatred for buying big names, and not the players he needed.. I cant imagine that attitude has changed, yet city's board probably get to primarily decide who they bring in.

Jeeze modern fans are spoiled.. even with cities squad and spend, you cant have guarenteed success every year. 3 trophies in 3 years, and progress in the CL, is absolutely fine.

Excited by:
    - Pellegrini, De boer + bergkamp, low,

Not excited by:
    Martinez, bould, viera, Rodgers (serriously.. has better odds then De boer at the moment..)

Never going to happen, but will be linked:
    Simone.

The one that got away:
    Klopp....
    More like 1 important trophy in the last 3 years.

Also Semi final is great and all that but it's not something to gloat about or hold onto like he's won a trophy. 30m+ net spend over United? That's saying a lot considering just how much UTD have spent in the last 2 windows.

Even if you do exempt him from transfers, you have to look at him tactically and just how poor he's been in certain big games, both this season and last. Injuries are not an excuse for thrashings either, especially considering their squad depth. I know everyone keeps saying "this should have been Arsenal's year" but that's a load of *******s because City had just as much reason to win the league and yet they haven't. Nothing about Pellergrini screams improvement.

This is coming from someone who's been Wenger out for the past 2 years so believe me I'd jump at the chance of a potential replacement, but Pellergrini won't take us further. Anyways I'd bet money that Wenger would have won the league with City's squad in 2014. He managed to get 79 points with ****ing Podolski and Arteta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Well if this season is anything to go by, we can and should have a few seasons out of Europe to sort out our **** then come back stronger. It doesn't matter if we can't get the best players, they don't see any ambition in us regardless of whether we offer CL football and will only come here to feed on scraps (because they've won things already with other clubs)
    So you're saying we should finish 7th? Because that's going to help us in the long term isn't it.

Anyways I'd much rather take CL nights at Bayern and Barca over Moscow or some **** hole even if it meant we were thrashed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    So you're saying we should finish 7th? Because that's going to help us in the long term isn't it.

Anyways I'd much rather take CL nights at Bayern and Barca over Moscow or some **** hole even if it meant we were thrashed.
    Just saying: if it worked down Seven Sisters Road, if it worked for the red half of Mersey, heck if it worked for a club that's never hosted European nights for years - then it's gonna work for us. We spend a few years in the wilderness where we dispose of the idea that we're a club with lots of leeches who don't really bother on the pitch, bring the good times back with a manager that costs much less than £8m a year and has time to prove himself with his style of football, and we'll be back.

ReputationRep:
    Just saying: if it worked down Seven Sisters Road, if it worked for the red half of Mersey, heck if it worked for a club that's never hosted European nights for years - then it's gonna work for us. We spend a few years in the wilderness where we dispose of the idea that we're a club with lots of leeches who don't really bother on the pitch, bring the good times back with a manager that costs much less than £8m a year and has time to prove himself with his style of football, and we'll be back.
    Has it worked yet for Liverpool though? For all we know despite their good run of form atm they could always be typical Liverpool, bottle the europa league after beating the best side in the competition and then go back to being 6th place.

You're probably better off just getting rid of Wenger, getting a new manager who adds the right pieces(ST, Winger, CM, CB)

ReputationRep:
    For every spurs, there's an Everton, Fulham or Astom Villa who it ****ed up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Jeeze modern fans are spoiled.. even with cities squad and spend, you cant have guarenteed success every year. 3 trophies in 3 years, and progress in the CL, is absolutely fine.

Excited by:
    - Pellegrini, De boer + bergkamp, low,

Not excited by:
    Martinez, bould, viera, Rodgers (serriously.. has better odds then De boer at the moment..)

Never going to happen, but will be linked:
    Simone.

The one that got away:
    Klopp....
    Two seasons out of three with less than 80 points is really poor considering the squad that Man City have. It's unacceptable and his sacking is warranted. I don't get why you think he'd be better than Wenger when they're doing the same in the table, despite Pellegrini having a vastly superior side.

I'm also unsure why you think De Boer would be a good manager when Ajax are no good in Europe. This season they were knocked out at home in the qualifiers of the CL by the mighty Rapid Wien and didn't even make it out of the group stage of the Europa.

Any reason for thinking that Bergkamp would be better than Bould? He was a great player and everything, but there's plenty of evidence to suggest that great players don't make great managers.

Does anyone have any proper suggestions for who could do better than Wenger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    Two seasons out of three with less than 80 points is really poor considering the squad that Man City have. It's unacceptable and his sacking is warranted. I don't get why you think he'd be better than Wenger when they're doing the same in the table, despite Pellegrini having a vastly superior side.

I'm also unsure why you think De Boer would be a good manager when Ajax are no good in Europe. This season they were knocked out at home in the qualifiers of the CL by the mighty Rapid Wien and didn't even make it out of the group stage of the Europa.

Any reason for thinking that Bergkamp would be better than Bould? He was a great player and everything, but there's plenty of evidence to suggest that great players don't make great managers.

Does anyone have any proper suggestions for who could do better than Wenger?
    De boer + Berkamp come together, not Bergkamp on his own.. hence the '+'

Pellegrini does have a great squad but that is never a guarentee of success, and defending a title is not exactly common. So his first 2 seasons were pretty much as expected,title win then fail to defend.. standard, good.

As for this season, well, its been a crazy year, and a failure for all top clubs so its hardly something unique to him.. yet he still has come out of it with a trophy, and a run in the CL, and a top4 place.

Lets be honest, arsenal are not currently close to winning a title.. and will never be under wenger.. whilst I dont expect any of the new people Ive listed to give us guarenteed success.. I do think they have a *chance* of pulling off something great.. whereas most of us fans have accepted that with wenger there is no chance.

ReputationRep:
    De Boer's league-winning pedigree is still there though. He took over a languishing Ajax and led them to the Eredivisie on the last day of the 2010-11 season (the season which Suarez sank his teeth and was sold). They then won the next three league titles in a row, selling key players between each season (Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Blind, you can't say they haven't moved on and done better with their new clubs). Yes perhaps failing to qualify for this season's CL is a blot in his copybook but he's made up with another great league campaign. Inb4 Dutch league is ****

ReputationRep:
    It's not gunna happen, but how would you guys feel if we signed Rashford for £40 million in the summer?

ReputationRep:
    ^ Everything's more expensive for us because we're a "big" club with little to no ambition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    It's not gunna happen, but how would you guys feel if we signed Rashford for £40 million in the summer?
    Question why we value him at £1 less than Suarez

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Question why we value him at £1 less than Suarez
    1. Inflation
    2. No reason to sell and buying from a rival
    3. English premium
    4. Will be the GOAT goal scorer of his generation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    4. Will be the GOAT goal scorer of his generation
    Thought that was gping to be Martial? Or have we moved onto the next hype wagon?

ReputationRep:
    Lol the dutch league is utter shite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Thought that was gping to be Martial? Or have we moved onto the next hype wagon?

meant English goal scorer

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.