Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Arsenal Society VIII Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Aresnal Fan: " had enough of wenger, if backed him up for years and now iv had enough, he needs to leave so we can compete realisticly"

HAHAHAHAHAH

ReputationRep:
    Goal.com is full of 606 users and reconstituted bull**** - I never trust a single thing I read on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I don't know about Wenger, I can't remember a game where he was recently beaten a top level side through brilliant tactics. But as for people saying get rid of him, and bring in who? I can't think of another manager that would get you those results on that budget, season after season. He's not the best manager in the world, but he does compete against some of them with far less money, and do pretty well.
    The thing is, he HAS money to spend. He's just too damn stubborn to spend it. I reckon he doesn't want to finish off his career tagged with large expenditures that may not work out, since he's always been fairly prudent, and preferred "value" signings. Why jeopardise that legacy so late.

His reluctance to spend is inconsistent with the state of the modern game, all mangagers will try and squeeze as much funds as possible from the board, it's not the manager's job to ensure the club is run soundly, so why does he think it is. You'll get left behind if that carries on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antonfigo)
    Without Fabregas we are a ****ty team. When he inevitably leaves - what then ?

ReputationRep:
    Not disappointed in the performance, we just didn't finish as well as we should. Whatever... we probably were the better team, but the best team doesn't always win... especially considering it's at OT.

Let's not all crumble now, especially considering the semi-literate and so-called WUMs. No class, no intelligence as usual.

Looking forward to focussing on the league. We've not had a terrible season just because we haven't won a trophy... but obviously winning the Prem would be absolutely lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Don't mean to burst your bubble, but to be fair, nearly every goalkeeper who plays against Arsenal has a 'spectacular' game. I think its something to do with them always shooting directly to or near to the goalkeeper or doing something to make the shot easier to save.

For example, that chance chamakh with the header. If he hadn't headed it to the ground first (god knows why he did this :facepalm:), Van der sar would never have even got his hands on it.
    It's Iker Casillas disease.

At the end of the season I am going to review how many GK MOTM were awarded. I am then going to see how many were awarded vs Arsenal.

(Original post by doggyfizzel)
      I don't know about Wenger, I can't remember a game where he was recently beaten a top level side through brilliant tactics. But as for people saying get rid of him, and bring in who? I can't think of another manager that would get you those results on that budget, season after season. He's not the best manager in the world, but he does compete against some of them with far less money, and do pretty well.
      I don't understand when people say stuff like this. What results? For a club like Arsenal, the only result that matters is trophies.

ReputationRep:
      Arsene needs to go.

Get in Capello (an excellent club, though not international, manager), or Jose from Real Madrid. Both have won the CL, and I don't they'll ever will under Arsene Wenger as manager.

ReputationRep:
      Mourinho or Capello would be booed off after the first game of the season, having chalked up a spirited 1-0 win over mid table fodder.

I saw earlier in the season people mention the Porto coach as a replacement due to his philosophy, I know nothing about him or that league tbh though :dontknow:

Arsenal attracting managers of that calibre? :lolwut:

Apparently Joe Kinnear is doing nothing these days.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Sakapaka)
        Aresnal Fan: " had enough of wenger, if backed him up for years and now iv had enough, he needs to leave so we can compete realisticly"

HAHAHAHAHAH
        Top of the Flops!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by RobbieC)
        It's Iker Casillas disease.

At the end of the season I am going to review how many GK MOTM were awarded. I am then going to see how many were awarded vs Arsenal.
        By not being clinical in front of goal, we allow GK's to gain confidence by making easy saves from tame Rosicky-like shots.

If we want to avoid being a victim of 'acute Buffonitis' we must become ruthless in front of goal from the first ten minutes of a match. The more we flaff about, the more confidence the GK will have, and hence the better he'll play.

Today was a perfect example.

ReputationRep:
        Arsenal were unlucky today, they had the better of a lot of the game and the chances, Van Der Sar being man of the match proves it. Man United just took their chances and there's more backbone to them with Vidic and Ferdinand and figthers such as Scholes and Giggs. Arsenal have a fantastic team, play fantastic football but the Wenger philosopy doesn't win them trophies. Chins up, the Prem is still there for the taking.

ReputationRep:
        I'm obviously disappointed with today's result but we did outplay united for practically the whole game but, as usual, we let ourselves down when it came to finishing. It's so frustrating. We've been dumped out of three competitions in two weeks and now Djourou has been added to the injured list :mad:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by T.Adams VI)
        By not being clinical in front of goal, we allow GK's to gain confidence by making easy saves from tame Rosicky-like shots.

If we want to avoid being a victim of 'acute Buffonitis' we must become ruthless in front of goal from the first ten minutes of a match. The more we flaff about, the more confidence the GK will have, and hence the better he'll play.

wtf is all this 'confidence' nonsense people talk about. it's a damn football match, when you get the ball you do your ting. confidence has nothing to do with it, stop being so technical.

the goalkeeper wasn't making great saves because he was confident, he was making great saves because of great goalkeeping - from the first arsenal shot to the last. stop criticising arsenals strike force (they threw plenty of good shots at goal, the shooting was good) and congratulate van de saar.

having said that, somebody should injure this keeper

ReputationRep:
        and stop blaming it on the manager, he doesn't even do anything. just jams in his little box and watches the match, leave the poor guy alone rofl

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by T.Adams VI)

I think the very substance of this post is ridiculous.

Honestly, there is no vast difference between our shots and other teams. None.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by RobbieC)
        I think the very substance of this post is ridiculous.

Honestly, there is no vast difference between our shots and other teams. None.
        VDS made a lot of routine saves today, the only stop of note was the Rosicky shot and he bundled it right to Chamakh's feet. He was not spectacular by any stretch, just did the simple things correctly because you didn't give him anything substantial to do.

ReputationRep:
        I'm kicking myself for the optimism I had about our season a month ago. Unfortunately there are serious, serious problems with Arsenal that need to be addressed...

Wenger's tactics are so damn predictable, more and more teams are able to disrupt our game far too easily. Manchester United have mastered it and todays game was a carbon copy of the one earlier in the season... Have always thought Wenger could improve his substitutions, he only seems to react when we concede, rather than when we are clearly playing like ****.

Obviously the players aren't motivated... too many lazy performances with no urgency even after we concede... obviously we aren't lacking in ability but I have to wonder if anyone is cracking heads back in training as a lot of players just aren't improving and seem to consistently make the same mistakes each game...

It's been a bad fortnight and I'm depressed. With Djourou out our title hopes just took a huge blow... but we are still in it, for now I suppose.

If there are any positives to take forward, Ramsey looked sharp today, Almunia has performed well in the last two games and Van Persie is fit. We have only the league to worry about now and with 3 relatively easy fixtures ahead we can gather momentum. There is no margin for error now however.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Colbert)
        VDS made a lot of routine saves today, the only stop of note was the Rosicky shot and he bundled it right to Chamakh's feet. He was not spectacular by any stretch, just did the simple things correctly because you didn't give him anything substantial to do.
        I'd say Nasri's shot that bounced awkwardly, Chamakh's header, Nasri's shot through Brown's legs and RVPs that got tipped round the post (think it would've hit the post anyway) were all very decent saves.

Almunia in contrast flapped and chased the ball leading to the second goal.

It can't be a coincidence that Arsenal conceded 3 goals, all pretty scrabbly in 2 games vs United this year.

One criticism of our general team is that our players go static when someone shoots... the movement is not continuous enough meaning no-one gets onto rebounds which we used to in the days of Pires/Ljungberg/Wright/Henry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.