Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    What is?
    I believe that the people who will be affected by change should make the decisions. That has nothing to do with the elderly having different veiws.
    Why are the elderly not affected by change?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Hear hear.

I have come to disagree with corbyn on a lot of issues but i hold no doubt in my mind that everything he does, he does with the most pure intent of attampting to make britain and the world a better place.

We can disagree with the how but i dont think its fair to be attacking the man when he's a very decent chap by all accounts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And I have all the time in the world for people who disagree with him politically - as I sometimes find myself doing.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Presumably due to their imminent deaths?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Social justice - a better standard of living for all - general well being. Democracy can help make these things happen but isn't intrinsically more important.

You said it was because they voted for right-wing in parties.

So are people without 2.1 undergrad degrees not affected by political decisions?
    To achieve that you need an authoritarian state I belive.

When?

That was as a result of me being annoyed at all the stupid reasons I had heard my peers using for whey there were voting a certain way in the referendum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I also believe that with people aproaching 70, they were brought up in a different time, there are at least 2 generations between them and the youth of today so they will often have outdated veiws not in line with the realities of life.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I also believe that with people aproaching 70, they were brought up in a different time, there are at least 2 generations between them and the youth of today so they will often have outdated veiws not in line with the realities of life.
    Translation: their experience paints a picture different to my idealism
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Presumably due to their imminent deaths?
    We have plenty people living past 100 nowadays. Unless you can prove someone is going to die shortly then disenfranchising them is abhorrent in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aph)
    To achieve that you need an authoritarian state I belive.

When?

That was as a result of me being annoyed at all the stupid reasons I had heard my peers using for whey there were voting a certain way in the referendum.
    I'm fine with you believing that. I just don't see how you can believe that and call yourself a 'democrat'.

When you first suggested it.

Ok. Still.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm fine with you believing that. I just don't see how you can believe that and call yourself a 'democrat'.

Ok. Still.
    Because I also belive that democracy is important to prevent a dictatorship...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Do you have a 2.1 or higher? If not then you somehow remarkably nanaged to form a judgement based on your own intelligence rather than a degree. But of course, youre special.

Though their views may be outdated they are still their views. Why should their views be silenced and yours not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Translation: their experience paints a picture different to my idealism
    Not at all.
    Do you have a 2.1 or higher? If not then you somehow remarkably nanaged to form a judgement based on your own intelligence rather than a degree. But of course, youre special.

Though their views may be outdated they are still their views. Why should their views be silenced and yours not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There was also an IQ and a job requirement too....

Because it should be up the the people who have another 60-80 years left not another 10-20...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Not at all.

Because it should be up the the people who have another 60-80 years left not another 10-20...
    Statistically that is very nearly the set of people who cannot vote now, the people who should be voting are -1 to 19 for men and 3-23 for women.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Not at all.

It should be up to all people, we cant say for sure how long any of us have left to live.

As for the IQ test, its only one measure of intelligence and disenfranchising people based on it is silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I believe it was when he suggested culling the elderly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Statistically that is very nearly the set of people who cannot vote now, the people who should be voting are -1 to 19 for men and 3-23 for women.
    I'd say 16-55 and very intelligent 10+ year olds.
    It should be up to all people, we cant say for sure how long any of us have left to live.

As for the IQ test, its only one measure of intelligence and disenfranchising people based on it is silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why should it be up to everyone?

Actually it isn't even that... Its intelligence potential and tests logic and reasoning skills.

ReputationRep:
    Quality :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    Hear hear.

I have come to disagree with corbyn on a lot of issues but i hold no doubt in my mind that everything he does, he does with the most pure intent of attampting to make britain and the world a better place.

We can disagree with the how but i dont think its fair to be attacking the man when he's a very decent chap by all accounts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The dirty Lynton Crosby/Rupert Murdoch world of politics.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'd say 16-55 and very intelligent 10+ year olds.

Why should it be up to everyone?

Actually it isn't even that... Its intelligence potential and tests logic and reasoning skills.
    So you mean those with 65-26 years left, which is very different to 60-80. And it should be up to everybody because that's what democracy means...

In case you forgot "Democracy" came via French and Late Latin from the Greek "Demos" meaning 'the people', and "-kratia" meaning 'power, rule'; literally it means power of the people
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    So you mean those with 65-26 years left, which is very different to 60-80. And it should be up to everybody because that's what democracy means...

In case you forgot "Democracy" came via French and Late Latin from the Greek "Demos" meaning 'the people', and "-kratia" meaning 'power, rule'; literally it means power of the people
    A thing is not right because of the way it's defined.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    A thing is not right because of the way it's defined.
    So in which languages are definitions of words are not the same as their definitions?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    So in which languages are definitions of words are not the same as their definitions?
    I'm saying that just because of its origins doesn't mean it can't be applied differently.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.