Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovecake123)
    ahhh, i dunno how well my school is rated, i got 11A*s 1A but i dunno how they would rate it, my school has a 75% 5 A*-C grades so dunno how that compares?
    not entirely sure but we can take an educated guess lol

11/12 = 91.7%, 75% achievement sounds as if there'll be a lot of people with high A* proportions so we'll probably give you 90% (since you're probably in the 90th percentile)

90%*91.7% = 82.5% for your contextualised GCSEs (probably not right)
    (Original post by FutureOxford3)
    Did you get rejected because of that?
    Not rejected, haven't got anything back yet, but I was just ranting about how in order to reach the same ranking as someone with good GCSEs but (relatively) bad BMAT I have to do a lot better in BMAT, and if someone gets the same score as me in BMAT but has good GCSEs, they'll still get a higher ranking in comparison even though I have straight As which are the highest grades you can get in Scotland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not you)
    No clue, I remember seeing it somewhere on the admin.ox.ac.uk site but can't find the link again, it was some equation relating to your school's relative performance and your number/proportion of A*s.

Not that it's relevant to me, my straight As Scottish N5s don't count at all for Oxford. Instead they double up my BMAT score, which is completely unfair because BMAT is much harder to get full 100% on whereas someone with like 11A*s at GCSE will get an easy 100% and possibly get a better ranking than me despite doing worse in BMAT.

Basically it could be 0.74 * 65% + 0.74 * 65% (me), vs 0.74 * 45% + 0.74 * 100% (some English guy)
    If that's the reality of the situation - and I absolutely believe you that it is - then wow, I can see why you'd be mad.

I mean, I'm not much of a mathematician, nor even up-the-Scots, but that is an incredibly flawed and biased algorithm!

Unfortunately, I guess that's the regrettable but natural result of having such an intensely oversubscribed course, for which I'll also tentatively say Oxford doesn't exactly have a burgeoning department to back-up numbers-wise. They need a quick way to cut vast swathes out of the applicant base fast, but it's still pretty irksome that they barely even seem to look over the personal statement and other work that you've worked your arse off to provide!

They could at least use the algorithm to reduce the number to about 800, then cut down from there based on individual content going beyond the exams as well as considering them alone. It would seem to be the natural thing for Oxford, a university ever-swift to declare its disdain for finding their students based on exam results alone. :\ If it really is just a 'you passed the number this year, here's an interview invitation and a Chupa-Chup', I'm damn disappointed and I'm not even applying on that course.

I guess I'll be hoping for you that you still manage to make it through, but a lot of the other candidates invited are true fiveheads with all the personability and social acuity of a root vegetable; parsnip perhaps. Good luck matey!

ReputationRep:

11/12 = 91.7%, 75% achievement sounds as if there'll be a lot of people with high A* proportions so we'll probably give you 90% (since you're probably in the 90th percentile)

Not rejected, haven't got anything back yet, but I was just ranting about how in order to reach the same ranking as someone with good GCSEs but (relatively) bad BMAT I have to do a lot better in BMAT, and if someone gets the same score as me in BMAT but has good GCSEs, they'll still get a higher ranking in comparison even though I have straight As which are the highest grades you can get in Scotland
    i dunno this is confusing lol, lets just wait until we hear back
    im not gonna even check my bmat results, i cannot cope with getting them back so ill look in my own time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shotte)
    If that's the reality of the situation - and I absolutely believe you that it is - then wow, I can see why you'd be mad.

I mean, I'm not much of a mathematician, nor even up-the-Scots, but that is an incredibly flawed and biased algorithm!

Unfortunately, I guess that's the regrettable but natural result of having such an intensely oversubscribed course, for which I'll also tentatively say Oxford doesn't exactly have a burgeoning department to back-up numbers-wise. They need a quick way to cut vast swathes out of the applicant base fast, but it's still pretty irksome that they barely even seem to look over the personal statement and other work that you've worked your arse off to provide!

They could at least use the algorithm to reduce the number to about 800, then cut down from there based on individual content going beyond the exams as well as considering them alone. It would seem to be the natural thing for Oxford, a university ever-swift to declare its disdain for finding their students based on exam results alone. :\ If it really is just a 'you passed the number this year, here's an interview invitation and a Chupa-Chup', I'm damn disappointed and I'm not even applying on that course.

I guess I'll be hoping for you that you still manage to make it through, but a lot of the other candidates invited are true fiveheads with all the personability and social acuity of a root vegetable; parsnip perhaps. Good luck matey!
    Sorry, but that was super long. Would you mind summing it up for me :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killerdaisies)
    Got rejected by LMH for PPE good luck to the rest!
    Aw, sorry to hear that. Good luck with your other unis.

ReputationRep:

Why did they even ask you to provide your grades if they are not going to look at it. Don't you get your BMAT scores today or something?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but that was super long. Would you mind summing it up for me :P
    The summary was mainly that I was being a total Saltmeister in that half-and-half rant, brother!

But in all seriousness, I first expressed incredulity at the fact that Oxford of all universities selects who they invite to interview for Med by using some hot dog machine of an algorithm, worsened by the fact that as 'not you' has discerned, it appears to be inherently biased against Scots students to boot.

This is pretty hypocritical based on everything Oxford claim so oft ('we're not fooled by exam results!'), though in their defence it does seem to be borne mainly of Med being so intensely oversubscribed. Still annoying considering how arduous the application process can be even before the interview; it's not very nice to be reduced to an x value in an equation.

All I said at the end was that I hoped 'not you' would get in.

:P Any better, sir?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonwithnoname)
    it was 5 o'clock in the morning...and you had RAMBLED ON for 18 pages!

FRONT AND BACK!

Very nearly fell asleep though, it had been a loooong two days (seriously though 5 interviews in two days is just too many)

Went to a different uni last year, didn't like it, reapplying for a different course this time around
    Oh my fellow.... You have impressed me with your friends knowledge. Thank you. And FIVE interviews?! Were you informed of your five interviews beforehand or did they just keep coming once you got there? - Sorry to hear that btw, hope you have a better time this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shotte)
    If that's the reality of the situation - and I absolutely believe you that it is - then wow, I can see why you'd be mad.I mean, I'm not much of a mathematician, nor even up-the-Scots, but that is an incredibly flawed and biased algorithm!Unfortunately, I guess that's the regrettable but natural result of having such an intensely oversubscribed course, for which I'll also tentatively say Oxford doesn't exactly have a burgeoning department to back-up numbers-wise. They need a quick way to cut vast swathes out of the applicant base fast, but it's still pretty irksome that they barely even seem to look over the personal statement and other work that you've worked your arse off to provide!They could at least use the algorithm to reduce the number to about 800, then cut down from there based on individual content going beyond the exams as well as considering them alone. It would seem to be the natural thing for Oxford, a university ever-swift to declare its disdain for finding their students based on exam results alone. :\ If it really is just a 'you passed the number this year, here's an interview invitation and a Chupa-Chup', I'm damn disappointed and I'm not even applying on that course.I guess I'll be hoping for you that you still manage to make it through, but a lot of the other candidates invited are true fiveheads with all the personability and social acuity of a root vegetable; parsnip perhaps. Good luck matey!
    When I was on the phone to the person at medsci admissions, she was saying that the BMAT and GCSEs are usually weighted differently so that they're equal when ranking, but after I asked her for more information and she sent me that email, it was pretty obvious that the 0.74 and 0.74 were the same weighting used for both
    (Original post by ilovecake123)
    i dunno this is confusing lol, lets just wait until we hear backim not gonna even check my bmat results, i cannot cope with getting them back so ill look in my own time
    lol I'm one of those people who needs to know how they did immediately, when it was results day I was away on work experience and I was desperate to get home and check the entire time I was there

Why did they even ask you to provide your grades if they are not going to look at it. Don't you get your BMAT scores today or something?
    They look at your grades twice if you sat GCSEs, otherwise only once at the end (when giving offers), which is a bit of a waste if you ask me. And yeah, tonight midnight so just waiting for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    History results seem to be out today for some colleges. LMH appears to have released its PPE results. I keep saying not long now and every day I'm wrong.
    Thanks, hopefully they will let us know soon!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechanism)
    Oh my fellow.... You have impressed me with your friends knowledge. Thank you. And FIVE interviews?! Were you informed of your five interviews beforehand or did they just keep coming once you got there? - Sorry to hear that btw, hope you have a better time this year!
    Thank you, thank you very much

Yeah, at two colleges (Mansfield and Trinity, respectively)...they just kept scheduling them I think :') The sheer number was also because it was a joint honours subject (Philosophy and Theology), this time should be a little less arduous as it's only the one subject (English)

ReputationRep:
    When I was on the phone to the person at medsci admissions, she was saying that the BMAT and GCSEs are usually weighted differently so that they're equal when ranking, but after I asked her for more information and she sent me that email, it was pretty obvious that the 0.74 and 0.74 were the same weighting used for both lol I'm one of those people who needs to know how they did immediately, when it was results day I was away on work experience and I was desperate to get home and check the entire time I was there

They look at your grades twice if you sat GCSEs, otherwise only once at the end (when giving offers), which is a bit of a waste if you ask me. And yeah, tonight midnight so just waiting for it.
    so like what ten more minutes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trebeccam)
    Ah thanks, good luck. Where else have you applied?
    Durham, bristol, Kcl and sheffield! you?

ReputationRep:
    You star and a half!

ReputationRep:
    so like what ten more minutes?
    Well 8 minutes from now lol

ReputationRep:
    Well 8 minutes from now lol
    Ah,gl, tell me what u get when u find ot

ReputationRep:
    I am expecting a huge wave of bmat scores now

ReputationRep:
    Ah,gl, tell me what u get when u find ot
    well the site went down immediately at 00:00:00 so...

and now it's back: S1 - 6.4, S2 - 4.9, S3 - 3.5A
    disappointed honestly, section 2 especially, was getting like 6s and 7s in past papers

ReputationRep:
    How are people getting emails at 11 in the evening? When was your email time.
    hahaha! got them this afternoon!

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to scream i want the english interview offers to come out so badly
    odds are i'll find out thursday and therefore spend the entirety of thanksgiving on edge & waiting for an email (and then either having to book a really last-minute plane ticket or crying into my turkey)
    thanks oxford!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.