Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelc142)
    That in a nutshell is why I hate London
    I walk around looking at all the money there and it actually annoys me haha
    Eg went to a marcus du sautoy lecture last week (AND I met him hell yeah!!!) and saw the shard for the first time (I'm not local to london) and just got really frustrated to see where money goes
    At the same time as food banks being the most popular they've been in 10 years in UK
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    nah, I love it. Diversity's great, and there are cheaper pubs.

having said that, poverty is a problem, but there's nowhere near as many homeless people on the streets as there are in other towns (espesh cambridge).

The main problems in London at the moment are for me, the gender pay gap and, biggest of all, the housing crisis. I'm lucky, because it doesn't affect me, but it does for a lot of people.

people having to use food banks is a national scandal.

but it's a lot better than some other places in the country. Racism is almost non-existent here, and incredibly frowned upon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Went to Switzerland for a trip to CERN, bloody hell the pints there are like £6!

I can't actually give you too detailed an answer, but living costs in London are high, so there's a higher average wage there. Also, it's populated by some very wealthy people. Quite a fair few of them are not price conscious. These basically means people can sell things for a higher price.
    Omg do you go to an amazing school? You went to cern? That's so amazing!!!
    The house prices are just a ****ing joke tbh absolutely laughable
    (Original post by Guills on wheels)
    nah, I love it. Diversity's great, and there are cheaper pubs.

having said that, poverty is a problem, but there's nowhere near as many homeless people on the streets as there are in other towns (espesh cambridge).

The main problems in London at the moment are for me, the gender pay gap and, biggest of all, the housing crisis. I'm lucky, because it doesn't affect me, but it does for a lot of people.

people having to use food banks is a national scandal.

but it's a lot better than some other places in the country. Racism is almost non-existent here, and incredibly frowned upon.
    Yeah, Edinburgh has a lot of homeless actually
    The housing crisis is ridiculous & yh gender pay gap is a problem, I suppose that will always be more prominent in bigger cities
    That's really good! Racism is fairly inherent around me. Lots of working class UKIP voters. I do my best to change that and talk to everybody I meet about voting and what they think is important and basically try to convince them to vote green aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

The housing crisis is ridiculous & yh gender pay gap is a problem, I suppose that will always be more prominent in bigger cities
    That's really good! Racism is fairly inherent around me. Lots of working class UKIP voters. I do my best to change that and talk to everybody I meet about voting and what they think is important and basically try to convince them to vote green aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    fair enough. I could never vote green in a general election (I side closer to Miliband) but I'd vote green for local.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough. I could never vote green in a general election (I side closer to Miliband) but I'd vote green for local.
    My heart often says labour but they're too busy being centre right /trying to pick up lost tory voters since all the working class seem to be going for UKIP and all the young seem to be going for green

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My heart often says labour but they're too busy being centre right /trying to pick up lost tory voters since all the working class seem to be going for UKIP and all the young seem to be going for green

Posted from TSR Mobile
    apart from me.

I'm going for bed.

Sleep well! x

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess you could call it amazing, boarding school eh :rolleyes:

CERN wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be to be honest, since we didn't go underground to see the actual tunnels. We had a few lectures given by people with ridiculously thick accents so we couldn't really understand them. Apart from that, they have toiletry vending machines outside their dining hall which actually has very reasonably priced food for Geneva. Food was very good though!

Geneva has other places to visit like the UN, and there are some bloody incredible views of the Alps. Oh and there are watch stores literally everywhere :lol:

Bought a CERN hard hat which is the best souvenir ever :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    apart from me.

I'm going for bed.

Sleep well! x
    Aw goodnight! x

(Original post by Bude8)
    I guess you could call it amazing, boarding school eh :rolleyes:

CERN wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be to be honest, since we didn't go underground to see the actual tunnels. We had a few lectures given by people with ridiculously thick accents so we couldn't really understand them. Apart from that, they have toiletry vending machines outside their dining hall which actually has very reasonably priced food for Geneva. Food was very good though!

Geneva has other places to visit like the UN, and there are some bloody incredible views of the Alps. Oh and there are watch stores literally everywhere :lol:

Bought a CERN hard hat which is the best souvenir ever :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aw wow, sounds incredible all of it! I've always wanted to go because it's on the French Swiss side
    Omg that's so cool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who has no idea about how politics work? I have a general idea of what UKIP and BNP stand for, but labour, conservative and lib dem? Not really... :indiff:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thankfully that silly idea of a citizen's income costing around £280 billion a year seems to have been scrapped from the manifesto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Am I the only one who has no idea about how politics work? I have a general idea of what UKIP and BNP stand for, but labour, conservative and lib dem? Not really... :indiff:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've only recently gotten into it tbh but I think it's so important to read up on
    Have a look at this voteforpolicies.org.uk

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've only recently gotten into it tbh but I think it's so important to read up on
    Have a look at this voteforpolicies.org.uk

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Will do tomorrow! However some of the dumbest things I've ever heard have all come from a politician's mouth :facepalm: idk if I'll end up being interested :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Will do tomorrow! However some of the dumbest things I've ever heard have all come from a politician's mouth :facepalm: idk if I'll end up being interested :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh yeah don't get me wrong politics is all a big game and more about people with money than people with passion but ain't that just the way of the world anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah don't get me wrong politics is all a big game and more about people with money than people with passion but ain't that just the way of the world anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Money rules the world eh... That's why I don't think I'd like politics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Money rules the world eh... That's why I don't think I'd like politics
    Yeah
    Like for a long time I thought about teaching and then trying to get into government as part of the education department but I'm just not of that prestige

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah
    Like for a long time I thought about teaching and then trying to get into government as part of the education department but I'm just not of that prestige

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think a major flaw is that politicians are mostly from rich backgrounds - they therefore do not really understand what it is like to be poor...

Also, I just tried voteforpolicies and I've just realised I'm not really interested in those policies at all tl;dr'd it and gave up :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I think a major flaw is that politicians are mostly from rich backgrounds - they therefore do not really understand what it is like to be poor...

Also, I just tried voteforpolicies and I've just realised I'm not really interested in those policies at all tl;dr'd it and gave up :lol:
    Oh yh definitely :/
    Hahah oh never mind then just vote greens for me would ya

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh yh definitely :/
    Hahah oh never mind then just vote greens for me would ya

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does anything bad happen to me if I don't vote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I think you can get fined if you don't register to vote but you don't have to actually vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Ahahah nah, register tho anyway just so the option is there. There will be TV debates (hopefully) soon anyway running up to the election

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahahah nah, register tho anyway just so the option is there. There will be TV debates (hopefully) soon anyway running up to the election

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know how naive it is to say this but what difference will my one vote make..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.