(Original post by SirHugo)
    Hi guys,

Took the UKCAT last week, got
    VR: 790
    QR: 890
    AR: 690
    SJ: Band 2

AVG: 790

I was thinking about applying to the 4 years at Newcastle and Warwick, and I know my UKCAT number score is above the usual cutoff, but do you think the SJ score being band 2 will prevent me from interview?
    Definitely not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carbon_)
    Same...I get easily distracted with noise and I am positive it affected my VR score The guy next to me was probably doing QR hence he was typing away. If this happens to you, ask them if you could move. I wish I did lol...it makes you lose track of where you are and it is just simply annoying!

And thank you! Good Luck with yours!!!
    I didn't realise you could ask to move, that's useful.
    Thanks, it's first thing in the morning. Going to treat it as another mock (easier said than done).
    Dreading QR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASupertramp)
    I didn't realise you could ask to move, that's useful.
    Thanks, it's first thing in the morning. Going to treat it as another mock (easier said than done).
    Dreading QR.
    I can't confirm if you are allowed to move or not (because I never asked)..but hopefully they will! It really depends on the person in charge! Just make sure you don't have a computer next to someone lol!

That is what I tried to do..haha!

QR in the real exam is definitely easier than in the mocks!

ReputationRep:
    I can't confirm if you are allowed to move or not (because I never asked)..but hopefully they will! It really depends on the person in charge! Just make sure you don't have a computer next to someone lol!

That is what I tried to do..haha!

QR in the real exam is definitely easier than in the mocks!
    I'll give it a go if I'm near anyone judged to be a noise threat!
    At this point I'd like to get it over and done with. Where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    I'll give it a go if I'm near anyone judged to be a noise threat!
    At this point I'd like to get it over and done with. Where are you applying?
    I totally understand...I kept rescheduling because I was always too nervous to do the real thing! But it will be over in a flash once you start!

Hmm...for the moment: Cambridge, Warwick, King's and Southampton! Wbu? Are you a grad applicant too?

ReputationRep:
    I totally understand...I kept rescheduling because I was always too nervous to do the real thing! But it will be over in a flash once you start!

Hmm...for the moment: Cambridge, Warwick, King's and Southampton! Wbu? Are you a grad applicant too?
    I rescheduled once. Was meant to be last Thursday but something came up at work.
    Grad applicant. Only applying to Warwick/Newcastle due to non-science degree.

GAMSAT prep for March if tomorrow doesn't go well.

ReputationRep:
    I rescheduled once. Was meant to be last Thursday but something came up at work.
    Grad applicant. Only applying to Warwick/Newcastle due to non-science degree.

GAMSAT prep for March if tomorrow doesn't go well.
    Good luck! Try and be positive! If you have any more questions, just send me a PM and I will try and answer it as best as I can

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! Try and be positive! If you have any more questions, just send me a PM and I will try and answer it as best as I can
    Cheers, I'll update tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PointDexter)
    Didnt get a chance to thank you earlier so here it is- THANKS!
    As for how they went, lets just say SJT confirmed I should be in a mad house lol. Got an average of 660 which seemingly on here is pathetic. Also you could consider me a re-sit applicant i got A*AAb first time (b in chemistry hence im doing it again and taking a new A-level, physcology from scratch on a one year course) so things not looking up atm lol, starting to regret turning down my biomed offer last year...
    No worries! Well done though 660 is a good score which still leaves you with plenty of options! Well it's all worth it for the end goal of medicine 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    Completely at devastated at how my ukcat went today. i got 583 average. is there anywhere at all i can apply to? or are my dreams of medicine completely over (I'm a graduate)*
    Sorry to hear about your score. It sounds like you were really hopeful. It's disheartening knowing how high your UKCAT score has to be for GEM. I'm a GEM hopeful too.

If it's of any comfort, my mock scores aren't looking too good (my test is tomorrow). Good luck with the search for options, though.

ReputationRep:
    I too got 583, it seems i underestimated the test. its hard as heck! bye bye 2017 entry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I was wondering if i have any chance at applying for medicine.
    Predicted grades:
    Chemistry: A
    Maths: A
    Biology: B
    UKCAT Score:
    VR: 540
    QR:720
    AR: 580
    SJ:Band 2
    I'm able to apply for foundation medicine as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    No worries! Well done though 660 is a good score which still leaves you with plenty of options! Well it's all worth it for the end goal of medicine 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How was yours? Where are you planning to apply to? Are you a GEM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PointDexter)
    How was yours? Where are you planning to apply to? Are you a GEM?
    I did mine a bit ago and got 667 average band 1. I'm doing A-Levels and applying to Manchester, Liverpool, St George's, and Plymouth!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    Completely at devastated at how my ukcat went today. i got 583 average. is there anywhere at all i can apply to? or are my dreams of medicine completely over (I'm a graduate)*
    Tbh i haven't done my research into graduate unis, but I'm sure you'd find some that you have a chance, make sure you call them over and over again until you get answers.
    If not you have the options of which would be to do gamsat/bmat, try again and do UKCAT next year while you get a job with your degree (this will ensure that you don't waste another year).
    Last resort is go abroad to like Czech, romania, bulgary or even ITALY! I know the thought of it can be dodgy, but you still end up being a doctor in the UK. If money is an issue. some places in romania are like 3 grand a year!

ReputationRep:
    Finally done! Graduate applicant here!

So my average was 753.33 (VR 670, QR 890 and AR 700) and Band 1.

VR: Really gutted with my score. For my mocks I would average >700, and I got 830 in my last mock (Medify)! I really think to do well in VR you need to come in with a stable and calm mind, which I didn’t have lol..I was quite nervous, and the guy next to me, he was banging away on his keyboard and hearing the clicking of the keyboard really annoyed me and made me have to reread things again and again, so I ran out of time for the last 3 sets If this happens to you, please move somewhere else if you can! The texts were easy to read in my opinion!

QR: My best section, although my worst in the Mocks lol. Just be focused and do the calculations quickly! I made a mistake early on, so wasted time having to correct it so I ended up missing last two questions!

AR: HARD HARD HARD! Omg…I either do really good or really bad in AR lol (when it came to the mocks), so I am glad I didn’t do too bad despite finding it HARD…I felt there wasn’t really any easy patterns for me Maybe I was quite unlucky

Overall, I am glad I did well enough for grad medicine! A bit gutted that I didn’t get higher, but ah well!

My advice: Try and be as calm as possible – it can make a huge difference! For VR, I read first and then answer questions (I know most people don’t do that, don’t change your technique now!). For AR, just remember SCANS and try your best (Can’t give much advice because it really depends on what you get)! For QR, make sure you’ve done enough practice questions on percentage change, averages and pie charts!
    Congrats on your score! I just wanted to know, how competitive is graduate medicine compared with undergraduate? like what are the UKCAT cut off scores?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackster556)
    Well Done that's a great score!! Where you thinking of applying?
    Thanks! I honestly have no idea where I am applying yet as it all depended on my UKCAT. I'm going to research today and pick my options. Have you done your UKCAT yet? If so, where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbman690)
    I too got 583, it seems i underestimated the test. its hard as heck! bye bye 2017 entry.
    Not bye bye, just do BMAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCMXCVIII)
    For QR, was there a lot of data to read or was it quite simple (e.g. A graph or table)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry for the late reply! There were mostly tables and one or two graphs and they weren't too wordy either so it was fine. Good luck with your UKCAT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    Congrats on your score! I just wanted to know, how competitive is graduate medicine compared with undergraduate? like what are the UKCAT cut off scores?
    Thank you! Graduate medicine is a lot more competitive unfortunately..due to the lack of places! Warwick is the biggest graduate medical school, with ~ 150 intakes..I think most other places are far far lower..like King's is like 20-30?

For graduate medicine, I think >700 is what you should be aiming for! Not sure about cutoffs because it depends on averages and it changes year to year! I think the averages will be released this Friday!

There have been cases were people have been getting interviews when their scores was lower than cutoff but it really depends on the university and how close they were to the cutoff! Warwick I know puts a lot of emphasis on VR - so that definitely needs to be higher than the average..and I think their cutoff last year was 700.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.