anyone know where i can apply with

UKCAT 700
    Birmingham: Biomed 2:1
    University of Oxford: MSc (62%)
    Can i ask why you did two degrees?
    Your stats are really good and plenty of places will accept u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    Completely at devastated at how my ukcat went today. i got 583 average. is there anywhere at all i can apply to? or are my dreams of medicine completely over (I'm a graduate)*
    just do the bmat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThrowawayMike)
    Nice score, along with a 100 point improvement. Would flagging have helped at all in VR? How would you suggest I use my final prep time, with my test being tomorrow?
    Hi,

I really think that flagging would have helped! There were easier questions throughout, but I spent a lot of time on some questions which slowed me down a lot, but I still managed to answer all the questions, even if it meant guessing the last few.

On the day before, I just practiced a lot of QR and AR, but only a little VR because I knew that if I did better in QR and AR and reasonably in VR then I would be fine.

Good luck with your UKCAT!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouHaveProblems)
    Can i ask why you did two degrees?
    Your stats are really good and plenty of places will accept u
    I did one undergrad degree and one MSc...I sort of didn't want the year out to be empty so did a MSc at Oxford ...

are you a grad ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    Congrats on your score! I just wanted to know, how competitive is graduate medicine compared with undergraduate? like what are the UKCAT cut off scores?
    For Warwick and Newcastle, cut-offs significantly above 700 aren't unusual. In fact, I've heard of them going into the mid-700s for Newcastle's GEM course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    Congrats on your score! I just wanted to know, how competitive is graduate medicine compared with undergraduate? like what are the UKCAT cut off scores?
    Newcastle UKCAT Cut off 2016
    GEM - 720
    A100 - 682.5

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone who replied to my earlier post. I not really sure what happened today as in my mocks I was doing well and getting averages above 700. The vr and ar sections today were so strange especially ar where I genuinely thought I was picking the right answers throughout and got 550 in that section, when it's always been my best section. I did ran out of time and had to guess the last 3 shapes which must have cost me by the looks of it.*
    Does anyone know if there are any 5 year med courses that put more weighting on GCSEs or don't have a cut off for the UKCAT? I really want to try my luck and apply this year even though I know my chances are slim. Sorry for the long post guys and all the best to everyone else who still has theres to do, if it's any consolation you're deffo gonna do better than me haha *

ReputationRep:
    There's no point of me doing bmat since i have a relatively bad set of gcse grades(only 3 A*'s). And most bmat unis have strong gcse applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterscientist2)
    Thanks! I honestly have no idea where I am applying yet as it all depended on my UKCAT. I'm going to research today and pick my options. Have you done your UKCAT yet? If so, where are you applying?
    Hi I'm a Scottish candidate and I got 743 avg with Band 2 Situational. Also got a good set of highers.
    I'm applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews. Wondering if band 2 will hold me back at all.

ReputationRep:
    Just did UKCAT today.

510 VR :/
    790 QR
    720 AR
    band 2

shocking VR and disappointing SJT

was thinking about kings with that, any thoughts?

is there any poll where i could put my results and compare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackster556)
    Hi I'm a Scottish candidate and I got 743 avg with Band 2 Situational. Also got a good set of highers.
    I'm applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews. Wondering if band 2 will hold me back at all.
    Hi there,
    Glasgow do not consider SJ in selection (they mentioned it at the open day) so you would have such a great chance there! Edinburgh do, but your average is fantastic (congratulations on such a high score) and it just means making the rest of your application as strong as possible. St Andrews I'm not sure about as I am not applying there (Im a Scottish Candidate also) but I think they use cut offs in the high 600s so again and dont seem to be that fussy over SJ (someone please correct me if I am wrong) so thats another strong application for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    I did one undergrad degree and one MSc...I sort of didn't want the year out to be empty so did a MSc at Oxford ...

are you a grad ?
    Id prefer if you didn't ask me personal questions

ReputationRep:
    I am going to guess Verbal reasoning on the ukcat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    Thank you to everyone who replied to my earlier post. I not really sure what happened today as in my mocks I was doing well and getting averages above 700. The vr and ar sections today were so strange especially ar where I genuinely thought I was picking the right answers throughout and got 550 in that section, when it's always been my best section. I did ran out of time and had to guess the last 3 shapes which must have cost me by the looks of it.*
    Does anyone know if there are any 5 year med courses that put more weighting on GCSEs or don't have a cut off for the UKCAT? I really want to try my luck and apply this year even though I know my chances are slim. Sorry for the long post guys and all the best to everyone else who still has theres to do, if it's any consolation you're deffo gonna do better than me haha *
    Cardiff, Birmingham and Bristol are known to hardly/not weight the ukcat and be GCSE heavy. Bmat universities are also known for not weighing the ukcat that much.

ReputationRep:
    is anyone putting their UKCAT on their UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbman690)
    There's no point of me doing bmat since i have a relatively bad set of gcse grades(only 3 A*'s). And most bmat unis have strong gcse applicants.
    Not all bmat universities care about GCSEs. Imperial,ucl and BSMS don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopeforunderdog)
    is anyone putting their UKCAT on their UCAS?
    Lol wth

ReputationRep:
    I had my exam today.

550 VR, 750 QR and 620 AR giving an overall average of 640 which is literally what I had been getting in my mocks. I genuinely thought I was going to struggle the most in QR which turned out to be the easiest. Unfortunately, this is not good enough for GEM so i'll be sitting it again next year.

VR was harder than medify and practice tests (I agree with everyone who has been saying this in the thread). Chunky texts and chunky answers! My skim reading technique didn't really work as a lot of the questions were actually testing your overall comprehension of the text than just fact check. Even the true/false/can't tell questions were a bit tricky.
    QR was easier with straightforward calculations but I missed out like 6-10 questions due to time! Just try to be super quick and move on the moment you find yourself struggling.
    AR was around the same. Spotted a few patterns here and there. The most difficult questions I found were the set assigning ones as you really have to figure out all the patterns. I spent a little too long on them and had to guess others/sacrifice marks as a result.

Overall, the experience was very beneficial and will hope to smash it next time.

Good luck to you all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouHaveProblems)
    Lol wth
    like there's an option to put it in with your grades but not sure if to put it in if UKCAT are going to send them anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopeforunderdog)
    like there's an option to put it in with your grades but not sure if to put it in if UKCAT are going to send them anyway?
    I've put mine in, there's no harm in doing it. I know UKCAT sends the data over anyway but it's fine for us to put it on UCAS too, obviously it probably won't be looked at but it at least shows you're serious and know you had to sit an admissions test

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2017

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.