Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elish2chambers)
    I've put mine in, there's no harm in doing it. I know UKCAT sends the data over anyway but it's fine for us to put it on UCAS too, obviously it probably won't be looked at but it at least shows you're serious and know you had to sit an admissions test
    ok thank you, did you put your total score or your average? I might just put it in just in case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalp)
    I had my exam today.

550 VR, 750 QR and 620 AR giving an overall average of 640 which is literally what I had been getting in my mocks. I genuinely thought I was going to struggle the most in QR which turned out to be the easiest. Unfortunately, this is not good enough for GEM so i'll be sitting it again next year.

VR was harder than medify and practice tests (I agree with everyone who has been saying this in the thread). Chunky texts and chunky answers! My skim reading technique didn't really work as a lot of the questions were actually testing your overall comprehension of the text than just fact check. Even the true/false/can't tell questions were a bit tricky.
    QR was easier with straightforward calculations but I missed out like 6-10 questions due to time! Just try to be super quick and move on the moment you find yourself struggling.
    AR was around the same. Spotted a few patterns here and there. The most difficult questions I found were the set assigning ones as you really have to figure out all the patterns. I spent a little too long on them and had to guess others/sacrifice marks as a result.

Overall, the experience was very beneficial and will hope to smash it next time.

Good luck to you all!
    What is GEM?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawini)
    What is GEM?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Graduate-entry medicine

ReputationRep:
    Anyone need a Medify subscription i have one mock remaining also?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which universities are personal statement heavy apart from bristol? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    Congrats on all the brilliant scores! I was wondering, when medical schools consider the UKCAT do they put more weight on VR over QR etc or is it just the total number they look at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayasparkles)
    Does anyone know which universities are personal statement heavy apart from bristol? Thanks!
    Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThrowawayMike)
    For Warwick and Newcastle, cut-offs significantly above 700 aren't unusual. In fact, I've heard of them going into the mid-700s for Newcastle's GEM course.
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    I did one undergrad degree and one MSc...I sort of didn't want the year out to be empty so did a MSc at Oxford ...

are you a grad ?
    (Original post by carbon_)
    Thank you! Graduate medicine is a lot more competitive unfortunately..due to the lack of places! Warwick is the biggest graduate medical school, with ~ 150 intakes..I think most other places are far far lower..like King's is like 20-30?

For graduate medicine, I think >700 is what you should be aiming for! Not sure about cutoffs because it depends on averages and it changes year to year! I think the averages will be released this Friday!

There have been cases were people have been getting interviews when their scores was lower than cutoff but it really depends on the university and how close they were to the cutoff! Warwick I know puts a lot of emphasis on VR - so that definitely needs to be higher than the average..and I think their cutoff last year was 700.
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    Not bye bye, just do BMAT
    What courses have you guys done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirHugo)
    Hi guys,

Took the UKCAT last week, got
    VR: 790
    QR: 890
    AR: 690
    SJ: Band 2

AVG: 790

I was thinking about applying to the 4 years at Newcastle and Warwick, and I know my UKCAT number score is above the usual cutoff, but do you think the SJ score being band 2 will prevent me from interview?
    I doubt it, Band 2 is pretty great. Warwick look at VR score and for it to be high so I think you can relax a bit now!

(Original post by ellen111)
    Completely at devastated at how my ukcat went today. i got 583 average. is there anywhere at all i can apply to? or are my dreams of medicine completely over (I'm a graduate)*
    Trying BMAT/GAMSAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DogTheDoctor)
    Hi Guys,
    Congrats on all the brilliant scores! I was wondering, when medical schools consider the UKCAT do they put more weight on VR over QR etc or is it just the total number they look at?
    Depends on uni. Are you GEM?

ReputationRep:
    I got 580 in VR, 770 in QR (computer froze for a minute and 20 seconds and I couldn't get the time back so I had to call Pearson) and 730 in AR (693 average) and Band 3 in SJT ()

Is it a good idea to apply for Southampton, Nottingham and Exeter? Which other unis will this score be enough for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopeforunderdog)
    ok thank you, did you put your total score or your average? I might just put it in just in case
    (Original post by elish2chambers)
    I've put mine in, there's no harm in doing it. I know UKCAT sends the data over anyway but it's fine for us to put it on UCAS too, obviously it probably won't be looked at but it at least shows you're serious and know you had to sit an admissions test
    There is literally no point. It gets sent to university why on earth would u do that on ucas, no one else does that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenigma)
    Depends on uni. Are you GEM?
    I did

Biomed 2:1 at birmingham
    MSc at Oxford (62%)

you?x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouHaveProblems)
    There is literally no point. It gets sent to university why on earth would u do that on ucas, no one else does that.
    It would look rather strange. I'm no expert on this application process (clearly; I'm putting in an absolutely unimpressive performance on the UKCAT tomorrow) but I think it would demonstrate ignorance of the process rather than show that you "know what you have to do."

ReputationRep:
    QR:890, VR:590, AR:790 SJT:Band 2--- really want to get into dentistry, amazed I got AAA at a level but restricted due to B in english language. Do you guys think I have a realistic chance?

ReputationRep:
    It would look rather strange. I'm no expert on this application process (clearly; I'm putting in an absolutely unimpressive performance on the UKCAT tomorrow) but I think it would demonstrate ignorance of the process rather than show that you "know what you have to do."
    Yeah i agree, there is no benefit which can come from it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    I did

Biomed 2:1 at birmingham
    MSc at Oxford (62%)

you?x
    Ah that's awesome. I'm in second year. Are you doing BMAT also?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to bed. I'll post a report on my UKCAT tomorrow.

My test is at 08:00 so I'll be finished by 10:00 at the latest. Then there'll be an indeterminate amount of time between me getting my results and me actually plucking up the courage to pull the report out of the envelope.

And then look at it.

Thanks for all of the advice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to bed. I'll post a report on my UKCAT tomorrow.

My test is at 08:00 so I'll be finished by 10:00 at the latest. Then there'll be an indeterminate amount of time between me getting my results and me actually plucking up the courage to pull the report out of the envelope.

And then look at it.

Thanks for all of the advice.
    It's not an envelope. It's printed on a paper and handed to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenigma)
    Ah that's awesome. I'm in second year. Are you doing BMAT also?
    i don't know rn..cause i have 700 on the ukcat?
    Im not sure that is even enough to apply... but ill be applying to a mix of 4 and 5 year
    u?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.