Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Freaking out a little over induction on tuesday. Not sure what to wear - at my placement school wearing sensible sandals and a summer dress was completely fine (in fact - it was weirder to wear something that wasn't so casual) so my smarter teacher outfits are from my first placement when I was wearing thicker trousers and tighter, thicker tops.

I'm going to melt in my formal outfits but I don't think my newer outfits are suitable without tights and I have awful reactions to tights when it's hot. I could wear suspenders but then I'd spend the day freaking out that somebody would spot them.

I think I'm really freaking out over something really silly but I don't know what to do. I don't handle heat well and I'm weirdly hoping for bad weather for induction.

I don't like not knowing what's going to happen either. I'm such a ball of anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    Wear what is comfortable... A summer dress and saddles sound good as long as it is not too short!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grant2007)
    Wear what is comfortable... A summer dress and saddles sound good as long as it is not too short!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have knee length skater dresses that I've been wearing for placement. I'll have a test run later and see if I can get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Freaking out a little over induction on tuesday. Not sure what to wear - at my placement school wearing sensible sandals and a summer dress was completely fine (in fact - it was weirder to wear something that wasn't so casual) so my smarter teacher outfits are from my first placement when I was wearing thicker trousers and tighter, thicker tops.
    I'm going to melt in my formal outfits but I don't think my newer outfits are suitable without tights and I have awful reactions to tights when it's hot. I could wear suspenders but then I'd spend the day freaking out that somebody would spot them.
    I think I'm really freaking out over something really silly but I don't know what to do. I don't handle heat well and I'm weirdly hoping for bad weather for induction.
    I don't like not knowing what's going to happen either. I'm such a ball of anxiety.
    I've been going in pretty casual and with a nose ring and my school have seemed fine about it! For the induction day, I would probably go a bit more formal though - A summer dress and sandals should be fine!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I've been going in pretty casual and with a nose ring and my school have seemed fine about it! For the induction day, I would probably go a bit more formal though - A summer dress and sandals should be fine!
    I'm already hoping they don't spot the recent septum piercing (the sodding thing doesn't want to flip because I have a super thick septum so I'm already having to bodge a bit of jewellery to get the bloody thing up my nose but there's going to be a bit of showing metal until I can go full keeper for September) so I essentially just want to not stand out too much. I imagine induction doesn't involve too much engagement with pupils though?

ReputationRep:

You're not alone, I'm freaking out too. Good luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:

I agree that a dress with sandals is perfectly fine as long as it's not too short. If you're worried it is you can always use it as an excuse to shop for a longer but cool/floatyish one tomorrow!

Also, I'd say its fine to ring and ask. Just say you wanted to confirm the staff dress code. If they are more 'strict' on what's worn they'll appreciate you asking and if they aren't they won't care, so it's win win.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I think it would be OK to mention it as part of the why you want to work there bit (I.e. you like the college etc which you got to know well as a student). Just make sure it doesn't sound like you're using going there as a plus point on your side. And don't sacrifice a good selling point for the sake of including it. I applied for a job at an old school and didn't mention it, but did when I went for interview as they were doing a tour and asked have you been before.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. I did mention it. I read it to someone and they said it didn't sound gushy and sounded good. I would copy it but I'm not on my laptop and I also wouldn't want to be told it was bad because it's submitted!

The application form was weird. There was no one box for a statement. It was split into essential and desirable criteria boxes and then a box for additional comments. So I don't feel like I could make it flow as much.

Fingers crossed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So my ideal job closed today (at lunch time) and they are interviewing on Wednesday. Should I have heard by now?

A few people have said that it sounds like a stitch up (like they already have internals lined up) because of the short closing-interview time. Do you think that's true?

ReputationRep:
    Today was my first day of my NQT induction week today. The amount of information given today was overwhelming. The difference in responsibility(pgce trainee and NQT) given is overwhelming too.

I have a feeling that the NQT year will be the biggest learning curve of my life. I'm kind of looking forward to, it at the same time, I am slightly nervous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    The difference in responsibility(pgce trainee and NQT) given is overwhelming too.

Can you provide more details about this? I've not looked into it since I don't have an NQT position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Can you provide more details about this? I've not looked into it since I don't have an NQT position.
    Sorry I meant to say expectation. For starters, I knew that NQT taught to a 90% timetable, but I did not know that it amounted to 19/20 hours a week, that is a lot of hours given that my second placement I taught 12 to 13 hours. In terms of responsibility,

ReputationRep:
    So my ideal job closed today (at lunch time) and they are interviewing on Wednesday. Should I have heard by now?

A few people have said that it sounds like a stitch up (like they already have internals lined up) because of the short closing-interview time. Do you think that's true?
    My new job (I'm nqt+1) closed on a Tuesday and the interviews were on Thursday. They rang me Tuesday night. And there's nothing dodgy about my school. They just wanted to appoint before the half term!

I'd say you've still got time for them to ring you - it isn't unheard of to be rung the day before! And also they probably have a quick turnaround because it's so close to the end of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Today was my first day of my NQT induction week today. The amount of information given today was overwhelming. The difference in responsibility(pgce trainee and NQT) given is overwhelming too.

I have a feeling that the NQT year will be the biggest learning curve of my life. I'm kind of looking forward to, it at the same time, I am slightly nervous.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I meant to say expectation. For starters, I knew that NQT taught to a 90% timetable, but I did not know that it amounted to 19/20 hours a week, that is a lot of hours given that my second placement I taught 12 to 13 hours. In terms of responsibility,
    You should get that checked - its 80% for NQTs, 90% for non NQTs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    You should get that checked - its 80% for NQTs, 90% for non NQTs
    I've never heard 80%. 99% sure it's 90%.
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    My new job (I'm nqt+1) closed on a Tuesday and the interviews were on Thursday. They rang me Tuesday night. And there's nothing dodgy about my school. They just wanted to appoint before the half term!

I'd say you've still got time for them to ring you - it isn't unheard of to be rung the day before! And also they probably have a quick turnaround because it's so close to the end of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. Gives me a little hope until tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    It's 90% of a full teacher's timetable.

But a full teacher's timetable is 90% of the total lesson time in a school week (10% PPA time).

So an NQT timetable should be around 80% of a full week. If your school has 30 x 50 minute lessons per week, you would be teaching 24 lessons (27 after the NQT year) and if it has 25 x 60 minute lessons per week you would be teaching 20 lessons (22 after the NQT year).

For me, it built up quite naturally from the PGCE:
    -1st placement - 10 lessons per week
    -2nd placement - 17 lessons per week
    -NQT year - 24 lessons per week
    -NQT+1 - 27 lessons per week

ReputationRep:

Obviously if you haven't heard by the end of the school day then I'd guess you haven't got an interview. But you'll probably get a call in the morning! Fingers crossed for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    It's 90% of a full teacher's timetable.

But a full teacher's timetable is 90% of the total lesson time in a school week (10% PPA time).

So an NQT timetable should be around 80% of a full week. If your school has 30 x 50 minute lessons per week, you would be teaching 24 lessons (27 after the NQT year) and if it has 25 x 60 minute lessons per week you would be teaching 20 lessons (22 after the NQT year).

For me, it built up quite naturally from the PGCE:
    -1st placement - 10 lessons per week
    -2nd placement - 17 lessons per week
    -NQT year - 24 lessons per week
    -NQT+1 - 27 lessons per week
    Oh yeah well it is 80% of a full student's timetable, I've just never heard it said like that before. We have always been told 90% of a full teacher's timetable.

Ugh, having 50 minute lessons sound like extra work! The number of lessons it adds on is insane!
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Obviously if you haven't heard by the end of the school day then I'd guess you haven't got an interview. But you'll probably get a call in the morning! Fingers crossed for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I feel sick waiting, it's the worst part. It's the only job that's come up this year that I've wanted soooo much. Tomorrow I will constantly be staring at the phone in hope!

ReputationRep:

It's 10% less than a fully qualified teachers timetable which is at 90%

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.