The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6880
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your response. Will I become a zombie? Are there any lasting side effects / changes to your personality? How did it help you exactly? Ty :smile:

Psych meds have a really bad reputation on the side effects front, like with zombifying and personality changes, but SSRIs don't really do that. Some side effects like anorgasmia and loss of sex drive, (very common) insomnia, nausea and constipation are pretty common but normally mild and only last a week or so for most people. A lot of people imagine that ADs are going to have extremely bad side effects, but actually for the most part that is a bit of a myth, carried over from the older style ADs and anti-psychotics, both of which have far less tolerable side effect profiles.

Citalopram is a really regularly used first AD because it has a generally tolerable side effect profile and is pretty inexpensive. If it doesn't work for you there are other SSRIs (which have similar side effect profiles but work differently for different people) or other medication classes, such as SNRIs (similar to SSRIs but target two different neurotransmitters rather than one) or tetracyclics, such as mirtazapine (generally tolerable and without sexual side effects but sometimes associated with excessive sleeping and weight gain), so don't give up hope if the first thing you try isn't that effective. :smile:

Personally, I was initially given citalopram for severe depression and anxiety. It had no side effects but didn't help, so I was moved to sertraline (another SSRI). That affected my sleeping a little once I got up to the maximum dose and I lost my ability to orgasm, and didn't alleviate any depression, so my psychiatrist switched to venlafaxine (an SNRI). I got up to the max dose of that for my size and it had had a slightly stimulating effect (I had more energy) but I was classified as a serious risk to myself and hospital was being discussed. At that point they added mirtazapine to my treatment and the combination of meds worked really well. I'm moderately depressed now which is miles better than how I was before, when I was completely non-functional and had psychotic features. It took a while but I'm glad I was willing to try meds because they have ultimately kept me out of hospital and alive.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PonchoKid
No i wasnt a zombie anyway
On the lower dose of 20mg i lost my sex drive but that wasnt long term

Made life more bareable i guess but i have deeper issues such as ED behaviour aswell as depression and anxiety so im now on meds for that instead of just depression and anxiety

I've been put on 20mg too. Sorry to hear about the ED. I'm a guy and I've read worrying stuff about erections permanent post-withdrawal dysfunction. Pretty terrifying. As I say, the GP brushed all of that off as totally anecdotal from those people who didn't really need meds, but that begs the question of why they were put on them in the first place.

Original post by asdfgah
Psych meds have a really bad reputation on the side effects front, like with zombifying and personality changes, but SSRIs don't really do that. Some side effects like anorgasmia and loss of sex drive, (very common) insomnia, nausea and constipation are pretty common but normally mild and only last a week or so for most people. A lot of people imagine that ADs are going to have extremely bad side effects, but actually for the most part that is a bit of a myth, carried over from the older style ADs and anti-psychotics, both of which have far less tolerable side effect profiles.

Citalopram is a really regularly used first AD because it has a generally tolerable side effect profile and is pretty inexpensive. If it doesn't work for you there are other SSRIs (which have similar side effect profiles but work differently for different people) or other medication classes, such as SNRIs (similar to SSRIs but target two different neurotransmitters rather than one) or tetracyclics, such as mirtazapine (generally tolerable and without sexual side effects but sometimes associated with excessive sleeping and weight gain), so don't give up hope if the first thing you try isn't that effective. :smile:

Personally, I was initially given citalopram for severe depression and anxiety. It had no side effects but didn't help, so I was moved to sertraline (another SSRI). That affected my sleeping a little once I got up to the maximum dose and I lost my ability to orgasm, and didn't alleviate any depression, so my psychiatrist switched to venlafaxine (an SNRI). I got up to the max dose of that for my size and it had had a slightly stimulating effect (I had more energy) but I was classified as a serious risk to myself and hospital was being discussed. At that point they added mirtazapine to my treatment and the combination of meds worked really well. I'm moderately depressed now which is miles better than how I was before, when I was completely non-functional and had psychotic features. It took a while but I'm glad I was willing to try meds because they have ultimately kept me out of hospital and alive.

Thanks for this detail! I'm really not liking the whole sex drive loss thing, especially if it turns out to be permanent.

Part of me wants to try it but the possibility of permanent damage and changes is scary. I'm also hopeful in counselling and CBT since the source of most of my stuff is past trauma and social anxiety which might, if tackled head-on through that, loosen all the other stuff.
Original post by 05autyt
Surely they can't open your letters?? I would say don't say no because it could really help. Your health should come first :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Their house, their rules. :frown:. it's quite sad really. They open everything, from results to birthday cards or bank statements.
Reply 6883
I've been put on 20mg too. Sorry to hear about the ED. I'm a guy and I've read worrying stuff about erections permanent post-withdrawal dysfunction. Pretty terrifying. As I say, the GP brushed all of that off as totally anecdotal from those people who didn't really need meds, but that begs the question of why they were put on them in the first place.

Thanks for this detail! I'm really not liking the whole sex drive loss thing, especially if it turns out to be permanent.

Part of me wants to try it but the possibility of permanent damage and changes is scary. I'm also hopeful in counselling and CBT since the source of most of my stuff is past trauma and social anxiety which might, if tackled head-on through that, loosen all the other stuff.

Gonna be cautious and spoiler this because it is all about sexual dysfunction and having PTSD myself I probably wouldn't want to read it at a vulnerable point.

Spoiler

Not sure quite how you're using the word trauma, since there is the medical use and the slightly more casual one, but if you have PTSD there are people here with experience in trauma-therapy if that is what you are having. If you meant something slightly looser like experiences of bullying, there are people in the thread who have experienced that as well who might be able to tell you about their use of therapy and medication. I have PTSD and attribute my still being alive today to a combination of medication and therapy - sometimes in more refractory cases of depression and more complex psych illness they can really need to be used together to see good results.
Haven't posted in a while, how are people?
Their house, their rules. :frown:. it's quite sad really. They open everything, from results to birthday cards or bank statements.

I doubt knowing this will be much/any use to you, but it is illegal to open someone else's post without permission. :hugs: I'm really sorry they invade your privacy so much. Is there any way that you could talk to your doctor about this and see if communication from therapy etc. could be done by phone, or even by having the stuff posted to your surgery? They should get copied in on everything anyway...
I doubt knowing this will be much/any use to you, but it is illegal to open someone else's post without permission. :hugs: I'm really sorry they invade your privacy so much. Is there any way that you could talk to your doctor about this and see if communication from therapy etc. could be done by phone, or even by having the stuff posted to your surgery? They should get copied in on everything anyway...

Thanks for your reply, and yeah my parents would tell me I can move out if I don't like it so much lol. There's really nothing I can do. The cbt service basically said they send out documentation and they have to send it out. they did say they could send it to another address so a C/O address etc but I didn't know anyone, and I don't think it would work with the practice. I honestly don't know it's just too complicated.
is anyone good at maths and percentages? :ninja:
is anyone good at maths and percentages? :ninja:

What you need?
Original post by rmhumphries
What you need?

i think google has been my friend.
trying to work out what i need in a module to blag a 2.2 from uni, and i think i need to get like 64% somehow
IF my degree is weighted 70% for 3rd year and only 30% for 2nd year
:s-smilie:
i think google has been my friend.
trying to work out what i need in a module to blag a 2.2 from uni, and i think i need to get like 64% somehow
IF my degree is weighted 70% for 3rd year and only 30% for 2nd year
:s-smilie:

If you want to get a second opinion, feel free to post / PM me your marks so far, and I can work it out.
If you want to get a second opinion, feel free to post / PM me your marks so far, and I can work it out.

Spoiler

so if im right i think i need 64% from my final module??

Spoiler

so if im right i think i need 64% from my final module??

Hmm, assuming all modules weighted equally (dissertation module having 2 marks), then to get 50% overall, you need 73% I think. However, if you have the same borderline rules as I do (49%+ and 6 modules over 50% = 2:2), then you only need 64%. If your dissertation is capped at 40% due to it being a resit, can you not claim for it to be counted as a first-sit due to EC, allowing it to be over 40%?
Hmm, assuming all modules weighted equally (dissertation module having 2 marks), then to get 50% overall, you need 73% I think. However, if you have the same borderline rules as I do (49%+ and 6 modules over 50% = 2:2), then you only need 64%. If your dissertation is capped at 40% due to it being a resit, can you not claim for it to be counted as a first-sit due to EC, allowing it to be over 40%?

thats all forign to me :tongue:
there all worth 20 credits

i didnt claim extenuating first time round though :s-smilie: because i was being a stubborn mare and was adamant id get it done.
i claimed EC on my placement module, and another essay, but as i passed that module without doing this other essay my lecturer said its pointless risking messing it all up for a 1000 word essay.
basically im getting a 3rd really.
woooo, least i get a professional qualification aswell :smile:
thats all forign to me :tongue:
there all worth 20 credits

i didnt claim extenuating first time round though :s-smilie: because i was being a stubborn mare and was adamant id get it done.
i claimed EC on my placement module, and another essay, but as i passed that module without doing this other essay my lecturer said its pointless risking messing it all up for a 1000 word essay.
basically im getting a 3rd really.
woooo, least i get a professional qualification aswell :smile:

I have claimed EC for a module I did the year before, I was advised I could do so if I could get a letter saying my depression prevented me from seeking help at the time (which it did). May be worth looking into.
Reply 6895

But that's against the law.. And even so your health should come first.. Neither of my parents have a clue about anything.. So it is possible. But then again they don't open my post :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have claimed EC for a module I did the year before, I was advised I could do so if I could get a letter saying my depression prevented me from seeking help at the time (which it did). May be worth looking into.

i dunno, its all confusing, and i just dont know.
beggining to think if its all even worth it, itll be just easier to give up surely
my step dads "tinkering" in his garage tonight, and has been home an hour, and hes already knocked the power of god knows how many times. gonna be a fun night, might aswell get comfy in bed with candles already :s-smilie:
I'm depressed, I'm finding it difficult to be motivated and I'm about to flunk out of university, failing the first year for the second time.

Please feel free to ask me about it but I really just needed to get this off my chest. I find it hard to really talk about the latter with anyone and I don't see what there is for me in the future any more. It was my one and only plan.
Got to the point where i cant even face being awake anymore. Just gonna hide from the world :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest