Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Those of you that lived in shared houses during uni. How much did your bills come to monthly (with how many people)?
    about 55 ish a month is a safe bet imo, could use less if youre conservative. thats just standard water gas electricity and broadband (4 of us) but you can add sky tv and stuff if you get good deals with the broadband and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    about 55 ish a month is a safe bet imo, could use less if youre conservative. thats just standard water gas electricity and broadband (4 of us) but you can add sky tv and stuff if you get good deals with the broadband and stuff.
    £55 for all of that seems decent tbf. I was meant to ask just gas and electricity tho cause our landlord wants us to pay £80 for the water to cover the year, and she provides Internet too.

(Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    Not that much, far less than it cost in rent. Bills increase a lot over the winter months though.

It's a bit of a **** move, but if people are asking for money that seems a lot for bills ask to see a receipt. A girl in mine who bought all the cleaning stuff etc asked for 10 quid a month, which for 70 quid a month seems a lot to spend on that.

I don't know what you meant by the second part lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Those of you that lived in shared houses during uni. How much did your bills come to monthly (with how many people)?
    Not sure on a figure but make sure whoever is sorting the bills isn't a retard.

In both 2nd and 3rd year we all had to fork out an extra £80-100 each at the end of the year because the idiot doing the bills didn't work things out properly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    £55 for all of that seems decent tbf. I was meant to ask just gas and electricity tho cause our landlord wants us to pay £80 for the water to cover the year, and she provides Internet too.

I don't know what you meant by the second part lmao
    People are dicks and will try and swindle money if they think they can get away with it. She was a nice girl, and don't think she'd do anything cynically - but asking for 60 quid from all of us for cleaning stuff like washing up liquid, wipes, toilet roll etc every 4-6 weeks is a bit much and I wasn't the only one who thought that.

Looking back, one of my housemates last year was a right retard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    It's not worth it, especially when you start finding someone else's pubes in your sandwiches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Paid about £40 for unlimited water, gas, electricity and Internet. House of 4.

ReputationRep:
    People are dicks and will try and swindle money if they think they can get away with it.
    Tell me about it man - every year we had to barter with the landlord about how much of our deposit we were allowed back.
    They'd seriously try to take north of 75% regardless of how you left the house. The amount they'd say cleaners cost was actually ridiculous.

Spoke to one of my friends who works with an estate agents and they say they have to get professional cleaners in between tenants regardless of how the house is, so how can they charge people for it?

ReputationRep:
    Wtf is this bull****.
    Imagine no Rio or Fanta Fruit Twist at almighty. Also who the **** rates Lucozade Original.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Wtf is this bull****.
    Imagine no Rio or Fanta Fruit Twist at almighty. Also who the **** rates Lucozade Original.
    Lucozade Original is the best soft drink after regular Coke IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Lucozade Original is the best soft drink after regular Coke IMO

Do you always have to be that guy Kenan?

ReputationRep:
    Do you always have to be that guy Kenan?
    Coke is the king of kings though, surely we can all agree on that. Can't beat that scarlet red can.

ReputationRep:
    Coke is the king of kings though, surely we can all agree on that. Can't beat that scarlet red can.
    Coke is undisputed GOAT.

Thoughts on Vanilla and Lime flavours?

ReputationRep:
    Coke is undisputed GOAT.

Thoughts on Vanilla and Lime flavours?
    Diet coke > coke
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AR_95)
    **** all tbh. Month to month it was just 30 quid for gas/electric, fiver for internet. I just paid the person in charge of the bills in advance for the year just so it was out of the way.

Water was a one off payment at the end of the year, I can't remember how much but it wasn't anything excessive. We didn't bother with a TV license as everything we watched was downloaded or on catch up. You don't need Sky TV when you're at uni, Freeview or Now TV is more than enough.

If there's one thing I can recommend - get a fixed deal for gas & electric. You pay a bit more over summer but you don't have to fork out extra in winter. I lived in a house with a meter one year and the amount we had to top it up over winter was ****ing ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Cherry Coke > Coke > Diet Coke

ReputationRep:
    Dr Pepper > But cut out soft drinks.Only buy peach ice tea now, don't know how much better for you that is though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Diet coke > coke
    What are you, a 13 stone woman?

ReputationRep:
    Just saw a kid get turned down for a job at my local curry house - dark times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Diet coke > coke
    I knew you'd have a good opinion x

Pepsi Max > Pepsi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    I live in a house with 4 others and occasionally one other too, so between 5-6 people.
    My Bill per month was:
    Water *£4
    Internet £7
    Gas/Electricity *£14-£19 (higher amount was in the winter mainly)
    TV £0

Total was £25 - £30 per month and tbh that was probably lower towards the summer months. Our landlord wanted £65 a month each when we joined for the above and everything was basic, i.e. Lowest speed internet,etc..*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.