Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    I have a feeling that the NQT year will be the biggest learning curve of my life. I'm kind of looking forward to, it at the same time, I am slightly nervous.
    Yes and no.
    You will get quicker at doing stuff (whipping up lessons out of nowhere and on the other hand making up a scheme of work);
    You will get on with the kids better (probably not everyone but you'll be more in control);
    You will learn how to balance your workload.

I personally felt the NQT year was overall easier but I was on School Direct, so a slightly different experience.

All in all don't be nervous about it - a job, no matter how important, is just a job and once you get a hang of it, you will be alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Oh yeah well it is 80% of a full student's timetable, I've just never heard it said like that before. We have always been told 90% of a full teacher's timetable.

Ugh, having 50 minute lessons sound like extra work! The number of lessons it adds on is insane!

Yeah I feel sick waiting, it's the worst part. It's the only job that's come up this year that I've wanted soooo much. Tomorrow I will constantly be staring at the phone in hope!
    Yet more differences between training providers :') we've always been told it's 80%!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Yet more differences between training providers :') we've always been told it's 80%!
    We were told 81%. 90% of a 90% timetable.

I have no idea why they always included the 1% as though I mattered though.

ReputationRep:
    When are peoples exam boards happening? I just want confirmation that I've actually passed!!

ReputationRep:
    When are peoples exam boards happening? I just want confirmation that I've actually passed!!
    I think ours is in like August. I always struggle to know what to put on job applications because technically we don't have it until August (and we only graduate in November!). I always just put I finished in June 2015 anyway.

When's yours?

ReputationRep:
    I think ours is in like August. I always struggle to know what to put on job applications because technically we don't have it until August (and we only graduate in November!). I always just put I finished in June 2015 anyway.

When's yours?
    I think ours might be this week? I just want my confirmation. I know I've passed unless I massively screwed up my portfolio :')

ReputationRep:
    I think ours might be this week? I just want my confirmation. I know I've passed unless I massively screwed up my portfolio :')
    Yeah, it's only really a big deal if you've got a resit (like me), otherwise it's pretty much a given that everything is done and passed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the same boat, our uni exam board was last week but they still haven't confirmed that I passed yet. I've been recommended for QTS, but I don't know when I can print out the certificate from the NCTL as they have not updated their records yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    Yes and no.
    You will get quicker at doing stuff (whipping up lessons out of nowhere and on the other hand making up a scheme of work);
    You will get on with the kids better (probably not everyone but you'll be more in control);
    You will learn how to balance your workload.

I personally felt the NQT year was overall easier but I was on School Direct, so a slightly different experience.

All in all don't be nervous about it - a job, no matter how important, is just a job and once you get a hang of it, you will be alright.
    Thank you, I will keep that in mind

ReputationRep:

When's yours?
    Surely, you graduate once you get your certificate (hopefully during the Summer).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Surely, you graduate once you get your certificate (hopefully during the Summer).
    Well my course graduates in November. I don't know why. The undergrads at my uni do too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well my course graduates in November. I don't know why. The undergrads at my uni do too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You mean that you don't get your certificate until November? :0 That's harsh. But anyway, if you are given your grades, you will know you have passed, hence you are a graduate and you will be able to apply for grad jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    You mean that you don't get your certificate until November? :0 That's harsh. But anyway, if you are given your grades, you will know you have passed, hence you are a graduate and you will be able to apply for grad jobs.
    I don't know, I guess we don't. It makes no difference for applying to jobs though, I know that much. A lot on my course have started them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah well it is 80% of a full student's timetable, I've just never heard it said like that before. We have always been told 90% of a full teacher's timetable.

Ugh, having 50 minute lessons sound like extra work! The number of lessons it adds on is insane!
    Yeah, it was tough moving from my first PGCE placement (10 x 1 hour lessons per week) to my second one (17 x 50 minute lessons per week). Other coursemates went from 12 x 50 minute lessons per week to 14 x 1 hour lessons per week, so they barely noticed the difference!

From my experience so far, I feel like 50 minute lessons are better at KS3 and 1 hour lessons work better at KS4. But obviously you can't have two different timetables running in the same school...

ReputationRep:
    A university near my boyfriend's town has places left on their FE PGCE programme and I'm thinking about applying. The university is in the top 10 for both teacher training and general uni rankings so I'm confident that they'll be able to provide a better experience than the one I had previously. However I have been slightly put off teaching but I'm not sure whether this is due to the poor experience I had at that college and I'd enjoy teaching more if I was on a PGCE which was properly organised and gave better support? Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Call and speak to them and discuss the course with them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grant2007)
    Call and speak to them and discuss the course with them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your reply I emailed them earlier and someone is meant to be contacting me soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So it looks like I didn't even get an interview for my ideal job. I am honestly devastated. It's the first time I've cried over a job.

I can't understand why. I met every criteria on the spec to a T.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So it looks like I didn't even get an interview for my ideal job. I am honestly devastated. It's the first time I've cried over a job.

I can't understand why. I met every criteria on the spec to a T.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am so sorry. The only comfort I can offer is that there's nearly always a back story you will have no idea of, and sometimes they are only advertising to keep within the law, as there's already a temp doing the job or something like that. But I am really sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I am so sorry. The only comfort I can offer is that there's nearly always a back story you will have no idea of, and sometimes they are only advertising to keep within the law, as there's already a temp doing the job or something like that. But I am really sorry.
    Thanks. Yeah I always knew there was a chance of that, it's just there were five posts so I thought at least a couple would be honest ones. Oh well. Time to look for more!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.