Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Thanks. Yeah I always knew there was a chance of that, it's just there were five posts so I thought at least a couple would be honest ones. Oh well. Time to look for more!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It really is much more of a lottery than people think, sometimes. Onwards and upwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Surely, you graduate once you get your certificate (hopefully during the Summer).
    Nah, most PGCE courses don't graduate until the Winter graduation sessions purely because of the fact that exam boards don't happen until now onwards.
    One you receive confirmation of the recommendation for QTS, you can get a letter/PDF to say that you've passed but no official documentation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Nah, most PGCE courses don't graduate until the Winter graduation sessions purely because of the fact that exam boards don't happen until now onwards.
    One you receive confirmation of the recommendation for QTS, you can get a letter/PDF to say that you've passed but no official documentation.
    Makes you wonder why. All they is a bunch of automated papers with your name and stamped with the name of your training provider.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Yeah I always knew there was a chance of that, it's just there were five posts so I thought at least a couple would be honest ones. Oh well. Time to look for more!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm so sorry to hear this but there are often hidden agendas behind these things. That doesn't make it easier but there will be other jobs!

ReputationRep:
    Got my NQT timetable today and oh my goodness. Gonna be a very busy year!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Got my NQT timetable today and oh my goodness. Gonna be a very busy year!
    I hopefully get mine tomorrow. I can't wait! What's yours looking like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I hopefully get mine tomorrow. I can't wait! What's yours looking like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've got a pretty good one! I've got every year apart from 11s. I met my year 12s/year 13s next year and they were so lovely.
    Taught my first lesson today and it was weird being an actual teacher rather than a PGCE. I felt like I owned the classroom haha

ReputationRep:
    Sooo after thinking long and hard I've decided to give Friday's interview my all. I wasn't sure I was going to go because it is a) a teaching job when I was planning on backing away from teaching, and b) hourly paid and will be awful financially for me, but after weighing everything up I think that the experience of being able to teach A-Levels in rare subjects will benefit me in the long run. It will be a tough time though (I am going to be the sole teacher of this subject).

They are extremely desperate now (I originally couldn't make the original interview as I was on holiday but they rang me to say they couldn't appoint so could I come at any time convenient to me) and I think I have a good chance of getting it. However, I may have messed that up recently seeing as I've sent them a million emails over the past week or so basically asking loads of questions about hours, pay, exam boards, NQT year, etc. They are probably thinking they need to get rid of me now! We shall see anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, congratulations to all those who have gain pgce, qts, new jobs etc

I will be starting my journey on a primary pgce in September through Liverpool John Moores and was wondering how people prepared for the beginning of their course.

I have been sent reading material etc but in terms of class activities, worksheets, lessons etc etc... Did everyone begin the course with nothing and slowly but surely be provided with resources to help structure and plan for future lessons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean26!)
    Hi everyone, congratulations to all those who have gain pgce, qts, new jobs etc

I will be starting my journey on a primary pgce in September through Liverpool John Moores and was wondering how people prepared for the beginning of their course.

I have been sent reading material etc but in terms of class activities, worksheets, lessons etc etc... Did everyone begin the course with nothing and slowly but surely be provided with resources to help structure and plan for future lessons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did literally no preparation whatsoever, and looking back none was needed. You get everything you need once you start. That's just my opinion anyway.

There is no point looking for activities/worksheets, etc, until you start placement. You won't know what to be looking for until you go into school and know what your classes are like/what the school's teaching style is.

ReputationRep:
    I did literally no preparation whatsoever, and looking back none was needed. You get everything you need once you start. That's just my opinion anyway.

There is no point looking for activities/worksheets, etc, until you start placement. You won't know what to be looking for until you go into school and know what your classes are like/what the school's teaching style is.
    Thanks for the reply so it's normal to feel clueless at this stage lol I have done classroom assistance and loved it so hopefully I can refer back to my experience also

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean26!)
    Thanks for the reply so it's normal to feel clueless at this stage lol I have done classroom assistance and loved it so hopefully I can refer back to my experience also

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I don't really think there is much you can do to prepare. I think reading this thread (like all the way back to when we started) would be enlightening! If I were you I'd spend the summer relaxing before it all starts - you'll need it!

ReputationRep:
    Sooo after thinking long and hard I've decided to give Friday's interview my all. I wasn't sure I was going to go because it is a) a teaching job when I was planning on backing away from teaching, and b) hourly paid and will be awful financially for me, but after weighing everything up I think that the experience of being able to teach A-Levels in rare subjects will benefit me in the long run. It will be a tough time though (I am going to be the sole teacher of this subject).

They are extremely desperate now (I originally couldn't make the original interview as I was on holiday but they rang me to say they couldn't appoint so could I come at any time convenient to me) and I think I have a good chance of getting it. However, I may have messed that up recently seeing as I've sent them a million emails over the past week or so basically asking loads of questions about hours, pay, exam boards, NQT year, etc. They are probably thinking they need to get rid of me now! We shall see anyway.
    Good luck. It is only a year if you don't like it, and as you say, it will bring opportunities which will enable you to move on to other things more agreeable once you've had the experience. Sometimes you have to just put the time in and accept that it's a lucky person who gets their dream job first time. All the best with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Good luck. It is only a year if you don't like it, and as you say, it will bring opportunities which will enable you to move on to other things more agreeable once you've had the experience. Sometimes you have to just put the time in and accept that it's a lucky person who gets their dream job first time. All the best with it.
    Thank you. I have to teach the interview lesson to two members of staff which I'm going to find quite odd. I don't think I'll be able to act myself but I'll just try to imagine they are 17 :lol: .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I have to teach the interview lesson to two members of staff which I'm going to find quite odd. I don't think I'll be able to act myself but I'll just try to imagine they are 17 :lol: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I bet they could fake the behaviour pretty easily if they have been there a year or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I bet they could fake the behaviour pretty easily if they have been there a year or so.
    I hope they won't do anything like that! I am expecting them to ask a lot of questions like an inquisitive student though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had a panic attack this morning. Don't think I'm gonna cope.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Were any of you TA's before you started the PGCE?
    I am about to begin in sep and am worried that I will fall into my old TA roll whilst the teacher is in the class.
    How can I avoid this?

Thanks in advance x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    Had a panic attack this morning. Don't think I'm gonna cope.
    Aww :hugs: . Related to what? Your NQT year?

ReputationRep:
    What are the seating arrangements like in secondary schools today?

I'm thinking back to my own secondary school experience which was around 9 years ago or so. It was mostly in the form of rows. Has that changed now?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.