Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    When you scapegoat like that, it says a lot more about you than them.

Labour were ****, their first mistake was declaring the party position as remain rather than staying neutral.
    That's actually possibly true from a party political angle. But given they're not psychopaths who would put the country through this when they don't believe it just for a few votes, their fault lies in not effectively campaign for remain.

Labour had no presence whatsoever in the battle for the airways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

I do agree that the campaign (project fear) was a big reason for the loss and it seems that British politics have been infected by a refusal to risk selling yourself instead of targeting your competitor.

With that being said though i do think Remain can legitimately blame Lasbour in large part for this, almost across the country the working classes who ordinarily vote Labour basically told their middle class liberal left MP's to go f*** themselves. Labour failed to convince those supporters who read the Express rather than Guardian to vote their way.
    So Labour should brainwash their voters?

ReputationRep:
    You go from blaming Corbyn to blaming the voters, who you gonna blame next?
    Labour, stupid uneducated voters, and the leave campaign are the three things i blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banterboy)
    Most of the leave vote were dumb as **** northerners who cant string a sentence together, are addicted to drugs and cannot understand abstract concepts.

this is why democracy should be limited and referendums not used. here we've chosen objectively the wrong answer.
    Now i agree that referenda are horrid but what you've just said is the stupidest thing you have ever said. For one thing the highest regional Leave votes were in the West and East Midlands and Yorkshire, bar South Yorkshire you can't really say that the rest of the areas within are radically northern, radically uneducated or radically crime ridden (Bar Bradford too actually).

The Labour Leave vote in the north west and east abandoned Remain but the overall margin was smaller. This was won by the Tory voting areas, the Labour areas just carried the campaign over the line.

ReputationRep:
    Labour, stupid uneducated voters, and the leave campaign are the three things i blame.
    I.e. Everyone but yourself

ReputationRep:
    So Labour should brainwash their voters?
    Of course not but if 90% of your MP's declare one way then it's their job to convince that half of the electorate of their position and they failed.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Most of the leave vote were dumb as **** northerners who cant string a sentence together, are addicted to drugs and cannot understand abstract concepts.

this is why democracy should be limited and referendums not used. here we've chosen objectively the wrong answer.
    The only regions without a net leave vote are London, NI and Scotland. It's most definitely not just the North that contributes to the Leave win.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    The only regions without a net leave vote are London, NI and Scotland. It's most definitely not just the North that contributes to the Leave win.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    52% of the population are dumb as **** northerners who cant string a sentence together, are addicted to drugs and cannot understand abstract concepts. according to banterboy

ReputationRep:
    Of course not but if 90% of your MP's declare one way then it's their job to convince that half of the electorate of their position and they failed.
    Not denying there are many old-style Labour voters who feel alienated from Labour but that happened long before Corbyn and as such, I think scapegoating him is lazy and wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Not denying there are many old-style Labour voters who feel alienated from Labour but that happened long before Corbyn and as such, I think scapegoating him is lazy and wrong.
    Oh yes, i'm blaiming the Labour establishment in general rather than Corbyn.

Though i had to laugh when McDonnel went on Peston and basically said 'i'm a euro-skeptic but we can't leave with the Tories in power'.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    everyone I'm talking to today (other than here) is very angry and distraught we left. there is a real sentiment that the young go stiched up and betrayed by the old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    everyone I'm talking to today (other than here) is very angry and distraught we left. there is a real sentiment that the young go stiched up and betrayed by the old.
    A lot of those old people are people that voted in the last EU referendum and have had the time to weigh up whether being in the EU was worth it. Also remember that young people won't always retain their views, if they did then the UK would be 70% remain and forever Labour. .

ReputationRep:
    BREXIT! Congratulation! :woo:

Dave! :sad:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    A lot of those old people are people that voted in the last EU referendum and have had the time to weigh up whether being in the EU was worth it. Also remember that young people won't always retain their views, if they did then the UK would be 70% remain and forever Labour. .
    I would suggest that actually people retain their views mostly but the old adage of "yesterdays revolutionaries, once elected, are today's conservatives." definitely rings true.
    I just feel this is a massive step back for global integration and co-operation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I would suggest that actually people retain their views mostly but the old adage of "yesterdays revolutionaries, once elected, are today's conservatives." definitely rings true.
    I just feel this is a massive step back for global integration and co-operation.
    If its any comfort once referendums are out of the way an EU without the UK is one far more likely to go the whole hog for a federation and expand into the Med.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Shame Cameron has resigned , He won't until October and it seems likely a Leadership Contest will start shortly and the new leader and PM announced in October

I think Corbyn should and will resign after 55 Lab MPs support a VoNC , Also Scotland's First Minster should resign

I think

May
    Gove
    BoJo
    Osborne

Will Stand

My preference for Next PM is

- May
    - Gove
    - BoJo
    - Osborne

Rakas21 When do you think the leadership contest will start ?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Shame Cameron has resigned , He won't until October and it seems likely a Leadership Contest will start shortly and the new leader and PM announced in October

I think Corbyn should and will resign after 55 Lab MPs support a VoNC , Also Scotland's First Minster should resign

I think

May
    Gove
    BoJo
    Osborne

Will Stand

My preference for Next PM is

- May
    - Gove
    - BoJo
    - Osborne

Rakas21 When do you think the leadership contest will start ?
    I'm putting BoJo at the top of my preference! I can't stand May, Osborne just doesn't have much of a chance at all I don't think, and I'd prefer BoJo to Gove!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I'm putting BoJo at the top of my preference! I can't stand May, Osborne just doesn't have much of a chance at all I don't think, and I'd prefer BoJo to Gove!
    I'm Backing May 100% for leader , Gove would be a very safe option for leader and i think bojo is just bojo really
    Osborne doesn't stand a chance , He is a deadman walking
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I'm Backing May 100% for leader , Gove would be a very safe option for leader and i think bojo is just bojo really
    Osborne doesn't stand a chance , He is a deadman walking
    Why May? She irritates me to hell and back!!

My granny has a cat called Boris, so we call him BoJo... Probably why I want him to win :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Absolutely. A lot of sentiment that it's one more **** you from the baby boomers generation

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.