The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

They have won the last three because of goalkeeping errors. That's 6 points from goalie mistakes, which would have put them 1 point ahead of us with 1 game in hand, but far worse form, and a harder run-in.

Original post by Lúcio
there are two types of fans :rolleyes:

Three types, let's not forget the Liverpool fans. "We're gonna win the league, now you gotta believe us".
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Arsenal been robbed by injuries! And a gruelling CL campaign!

Not saying we were robbed, because I didn't think we were going to win the league, but there is no way any sane fan can say that Chelsea would be this far ahead without fluking wins due to goalkeeping errors.
If szczersny Wants out he can leave but we much replace him with Cech's Quality
Otherwise he can prove himself and fight for his place.

I must say Szczersny joint golden golve was assisted my an Immense Kos-BFG partnership!
But then again Chelsea played with 2 Cdm's as well as their back four to protect Cech.
Original post by Jgco2chem
If szczersny Wants out he can leave but we much replace him with Cech's Quality
Otherwise he can prove himself and fight for his place.

I must say Szczersny joint golden golve was assisted my an Immense Kos-BFG partnership!
But then again Chelsea played with 2 Cdm's as well as their back four to protect Cech.

Honestly think it's impossible that Mourinho would sell to Wenger, let alone for £15 million. If he was to go it'd be at least £25-30 as we're so good at getting loads for our players. Reckon Sirigu would be a good fit for you guys if Cech was to join PSG, he'll be Italy's no.1 within a year or two and has plenty of Champions League experience too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by leinad2012
What? He had nothing to do against City, and was arguably at fault for the first goal against Tottenham. Like I say, can you think of 1 world class save he has made?

His positioning is awful at times, like yesterday vs. Burnley when he nearly got caught from the free kick on his side of the goal and was left scrambling. He isn't a commanding keeper, I mean the guy isn't exactly confident at corners is he?

There's been a fair few examples of where he's not been tall enough, it's why he's weak with crosses, even Hendo's penalty last week a taller keeper would have saved with ease.

The clean sheets I'd put down more to the defenders in front of him than on his keeping, but I'll give him credit where it's due, he isn't stupid when the ball is passed back to him like Szs, he just gets rid which I like. All of those stats can be deceiving, most of the shots he faces are your bread and butter so it's not surprising that he has a good record.

Just looked at all the stats, his avg. saves per game is 0.01 more than De Gea ffs, you can't quote that as him being better. Plus his distribution success is worse than Courtois (but only by 2% so hardly relevant). His average saves per goal is impressive, but again if all the saves are bread and butter that's hardly important. What I dislike is his Avg. punches, it shows a clear lack of confidence from crosses. Ospina has an avg. punch of 50% compared to 16% for De Gea and 31% for Courtois.

I agree, he is a decent 2nd choice, but he's our starting keeper. He isn't really a good enough cup keeper because he will never be a good penalty saver, the only place in the team where he could be used is in the cl. When I look at the team compared to the rest of the top 4, hell even top 7 the clear weak link is at GK. I'll be honest the rest of the top 7 have a better starting keeper than we do

Sorry must have been a different game instead of the city one, but he saved our skin on more than one occassion during the Tottenham game (don't think the goal was all his fault, he did the best he could in that position, it was a very awkward angle and didnt look like he could have pushed it away anywhere else). There was also a double save during that game which was WC.

His positioning isn't awful, its why despite his height he can still leap and parry the shots that come his way. Agree that his weakness is in the air but thats because of his height (which is why he has to punch the ball as oppose to catching it sometimes I assume) but he is still more calm than Scz which results in the defence around him being less nervous. Don't think its a coincidence that since Ospina has come in our back four have coped well under pressure and thats due to his calmness.

But his height also has its advantages over taller keepers, it means he can get down quicker to save shots in bottom corners due to his lower centre of gravity which is shown by his agile performances, there is no saying that taller keepers would have necessarily saved some of the shots in the Tottenham game for example esp. that double save or Hendersons pen. In fact the height of a goalkeeper isn't as relevant as many think, it's much more to do with the reach of the keeper i.e arm span which doesn't always correlate with height. Anyway some of the best goalkeepers ever have been on the short side, plus he's not as small as many make out, he's an inch shorter than Casillas and the same height as Valdes (both probably have a better arm span than him though im guessing).

You're acting like De Gea and Courtois pull off worldies every single shot that gets put their way and some how the saves that they pull off are any better than the ones Ospina does, you cant just beat away the stats on that basis. I also said level with/better, he's hardly getting put to shame on any of those stats though is he? Agree on him punching more often, it is frustrating but i'd rather him punch away than risk to catch the ball while being uncomfortable and fumble it and as of yet he's yet to concede a goal due to this anyway I believe? Many near misses though. Generally speaking though he knows when and when not to come out to punch the ball.

Where is the evidence that he's bad at saving penalties? He made a mistake on the Hendo one but thats not proof of bad pen stopping. Again he's not as small as you may think and has pretty good shot stopping along with good reflexes and agility, all of which make good penalty savers. In fact you could say the height (and therefor most likely weight) could disadvantage keepers as they wouldn't be as quick off the mark etc. Not totally sure on who the best penalty keepers are stats wise but i'm sure not all of them will be goliaths. I'm not saying I wouldn't take De Gea or Court btw, just that it's not as doom and gloom as you make it out and doesn't warrant spending a large chunk of our budget on for now. Would take Cech for the prices quoted but only if we manage to move another keeper off for a decent price too.

Original post by sr90
We didn't own Tevez, it was a 2 year loan.

Actually didn't know that haha.
point or 3 against chelsea and top 3 is sealed. Arsenal vs Utd will be tasty, especially if its a fight for 2nd.
can we take a minute to appreciate Sagna leaving for trophies :rofl:
We need to take Aguero off City's hands tbh
Original post by swirly
can we take a minute to appreciate Sagna leaving for trophies :rofl:

I was just thinking this. Poor guy, Above City, took 4 points from city, beat city in the CS. Life could not be better for him.
This is where it gets complicated.

Next week United have Chelsea away and could leap above us because our game is postponed due to the FA cup. Now, does that mean we'd want chelsea to win? And we have Chelsea after that at home, whilst United have Everton away. These next few weeks are gonna be tricky.
The problem is 3rd is much worse than 2nd imo, we have to finish 2nd to go into next season strongly, otherwise it's just marginal progress on last year
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I was just thinking this. Poor guy, Above City, took 4 points from city, beat city in the CS. Life could not be better for him.

nah real talk he probably prefers it this way.

he's still getting paid, and he doesn't have have to work for it either. he's at the tail end of his career, so he doesn't even need game time to develop or make a legacy.

On the contrary he isn't poor at all, that's the main reason he left, to increase his net worth...
This is where it gets complicated.

Next week United have Chelsea away and could leap above us because our game is postponed due to the FA cup. Now, does that mean we'd want chelsea to win? And we have Chelsea after that at home, whilst United have Everton away. These next few weeks are gonna be tricky.

chelsea win.

If they had not scored the late winner today - I would be cheering on united all the way. But their goal against QPR today, 100% sealled up the league, (from the already 95% that it was)

Much more advantagous for us to remain 2nd, and have the chance at a bigger gap to united.

Love the idea of our game against united deciding 2nd place though. - It would be so much pressure if it was deciding who is in the top4 (as I thought it would be, earlier in the season) but between 2nd and 3rd means there is still something to play for.. but loosing is hardly that bad
Original post by leinad2012
The problem is 3rd is much worse than 2nd imo, we have to finish 2nd to go into next season strongly, otherwise it's just marginal progress on last year
I think you're reading into it way too much. It makes next to no difference 2nd or 3rd. Its marginal either way, only came about due to a City collapse and Chelsea have been coasting for most of 2015.
Original post by TornadoGR4
x

Will sort it out now, apologies Tornado.
Original post by TornadoGR4

Soz to bother you mate, but the mods really need to get a handle on this thread. It's making people not want to post because of the constant wumming.

Spoiler

Snitch.
That's right. I tell mods what to do.

Spoiler

just looked at citys fixtures.. jeeze they have it quite comfortable until the end..

4/6 home games, with only spurs left as their big away game.

We are 5pts clear, so I would say that if we can take a draw from either united/chelsea games, then we will finish above city.

Wenger wont drop points in the other games
I guess that's the difference between fans of "top" clubs and fans of other clubs, because of how big the game has become, some football fans are glory hunters - they aren't interested in a proper footballing discussion and only go round other clubs' domains yelling "we are the best, everyone else can eat ****". They'd be quick to desert their club once it fails to win a trophy, and you never see them again.