This discussion is closed.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Wow - you've already failed life lesson number 1: It is never too early for alcohol.

Funniest thing this morning is when I went into class at 9.40 and someone asked what we wanted to do, so I said, let's go to the pub - all my friends thought that I was joking until my teacher got up and started to put his jacket on - I had to remind him that the pub wasn't open at this time, and he was very disappointed!
Even before a 9am exam it's still time for alcohol. Was sat drinking port when I got up
Then after the exam get several pints at once at the bad so I didn't have to go back later for more
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
There already is one, it's called "English"
That's arrogant, only 40% of people understand English globally.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Even before a 9am exam it's still time for alcohol. Was sat drinking port when I got up
Then after the exam get several pints at once at the bad so I didn't have to go back later for more
Of course... exams call for special measures!
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Wow - you've already failed life lesson number 1: It is never too early for alcohol.

Funniest thing this morning is when I went into class at 9.40 and someone asked what we wanted to do, so I said, let's go to the pub - all my friends thought that I was joking until my teacher got up and started to put his jacket on - I had to remind him that the pub wasn't open at this time, and he was very disappointed!
Your teacher's brilliant! xD
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Your teacher's brilliant! xD
He is pretty cool
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
That's arrogant, only 40% of people understand English globally.
Well then, 60% are slacking or your stat is false
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well then, 60% are slacking or your stat is false
Only 2/3 people globally can speak English or mandarin too. And it's not slaking. People just don't learn it... That's arrogant. P

We would be better of making a whole new language from scratch. Again I've had this as a school project:laugh: made up a whole new language from:
Old High German
Latin
Sanskrit
Greek
Mandarin
Slovak
Norse

That covers 99% of people by using root languages... I love languages
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I can speek Google:yep:

Or we could just create a global language...
English will rule the world. Mandarin is spoken by populations that will decrease significantly. India and the USA will both see population growth continue and both speak English. Europe should it ever speak one language has a decreasing population anyway.

No other countries have the cultural capital to spread the language.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
English will rule the world. Mandarin is spoken by populations that will decrease significantly. India and the USA will both see population growth continue and both speak English. Europe should it ever speak one language has a decreasing population anyway.
English won't, Arabic will hold out for one...
But it's kinda arrogant to believe our language is superior. We do in fact have one of the hardest to learn languages.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
English won't, Arabic will hold out for one...
But it's kinda arrogant to believe our language is superior. We do in fact have one of the hardest to learn languages.
That's true but it's unlikely to spread that rapidly. So i still think English will be dominant global language and increasingly so through this century.

No language is superior to another. But circumstance dictates that English will dominate the world through the next century.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's true but it's unlikely to spread that rapidly. So i still think English will be dominant global language and increasingly so through this century.

No language is superior to another. But circumstance dictates that English will dominate the world through the next century.
I believe that we will see a drive to global unity over the next century so a new global language is garunteed. Or the spread of Esperanto.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
:rofl: Jog on mate.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Only 2/3 people globally can speak English or mandarin too. And it's not slaking. People just don't learn it... That's arrogant. P

We would be better of making a whole new language from scratch. Again I've had this as a school project:laugh: made up a whole new language from:
Old High German
Latin
Sanskrit
Greek
Mandarin
Slovak
Norse

That covers 99% of people by using root languages... I love languages
They tried Esperanto, which is supposed to be very easy to learn but looks like Martian and pretty much impossible for non-speakers to understand at all.

Then they tried Interlingua, which is designed to be very easy to understand (provided you speak some English or a Romance language) and fairly easy to learn (things like verb conjugation are virtually non-existent) but still it didn't catch on.

The thing is, language is such a big thing for a lot of people that they want to continue using their mother tongue.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I believe that we will see a drive to global unity over the next century so a new global language is garunteed. Or the spread of Esperanto.
Even if that happens (i see the world becoming more blocky than unified as a whole) then there won't be a new language, they'll just agree to speak English.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
:rofl: Jog on mate.
So long as English speaking countries continue to spit out babies (large parts of Africa speak English as well as India and the US who will be 1 and 3 in the global economy) then i don't see where this rival will come from.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
They tried Esperanto, which is supposed to be very easy to learn but looks like Martian and pretty much impossible for non-speakers to understand at all.

Then they tried Interlingua, which is designed to be very easy to understand (provided you speak some English or a Romance language) and fairly easy to learn (things like verb conjugation are virtually non-existent) but still it didn't catch on.

The thing is, language is such a big thing for a lot of people that they want to continue using their mother tongue.
thats why we should start with children, if we force all the children to learn the language then it will catch on...

Even if that happens (i see the world becoming more blocky than unified as a whole) then there won't be a new language, they'll just agree to speak English.
blocky would still be better then what we have now...
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
thats why we should start with children, if we force all the children to learn the language then it will catch on...

blocky would still be better then what we have now...
You mean like Welsh has been? Back on the decline as the pensioners die off.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's suprising given the Welsh government making Welsh mandatory.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought Welsh was experiencing a great revival?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's suprising given the Welsh government making Welsh mandatory.
(Original post by Aph)
I thought Welsh was experiencing a great revival?
No. I think numbers are steady-ish, but on a slight decline.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (120)
64.86%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.08%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
14.05%

Watched Threads