Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    The company themselves are expecting it:

UKCAT (@ukcattest)

We would expect mean scores to fall between the 11th Sept stats and the end of testing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UKCATest/...52884111233024
    ah okay... that makes me feel better I'm on the edge of the 8th decile with exactly 700 avg and do not want to be dropped to 7th x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    That is true, however i don't confidence in myself of getting a score above 700 which is required as the bare minimum for GEM courses. Still looking at universities admissions policies to see where i have a better chance. *

what are your A levels like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCW)
    Well done! Where are you applying?
    I'm applying to Exeter, Plymouth and I need to find one more UKCAT university that accepts resits, I got A*AB. In a way I'm a bit annoyed cause I think I would've stood a really good chance at Birmingham which was where I really wanted to but of course beggars can't be choosers lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angoranimi)
    I'm applying to Exeter, Plymouth and I need to find one more UKCAT university that accepts resits, I got A*AB. In a way I'm a bit annoyed cause I think I would've stood a really good chance at Birmingham which was where I really wanted to but of course beggars can't be choosers lol
    UEA accept resits as long as ABB was obtained in the first sitting i.e. before resit. They also state that you must achieve an A* in at least one subject after resit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doubt its of any use to anyone now but a breakdown of how my UKCAT went this morning, as I found it really helpful to read everyone elses.*I am a 3rd year Biomed undergrad (1st in Y1,Y2 and predicted 1st overall) applying to GEM courses. I am super happy with my results though I can't help but wish for slightly higher results as GEM courses are so incredibly competitive!!*

VR 760
    QR 770
    AR 680*
    SJT Band 1
    Average 736.67*

Part of my strategy is always to quickly press next on all the answers in each section until you are at the review screen, then click review all and start answering questions. This helps because it lets you go back to the review screen whenever you want and you can see roughly how many you still have left periodically. That method helps a lot if you like to flag hard ones and move on because otherwise I got so confused about how many I had done/still had left. I used this for all three sections.*

I also memorised a little timeline of the length of each section with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 4/4 points along it so I knew at which time I needed to have completed X number of questions. I wrote these down when I was reading the instructions.
    VR - VR was always my strong point as I learnt English as a second language (but have lived in the UK for over 10 years).
    I found most of the text easy to moderate, there was no 'hard' passages though some were long. I was lucky to get no battle ships, no war passages which I was super thankful for as I find them tricky.
    I didn't find the passages hard but a lot of t he questions seemed quite tricky. I was unsure of answers more often than I was normally but I guess my gut instincts were right.
    I find it hard to skim read information but it did seem like the most effective way to answer questions so thats what I did in the exam. To not get too caught up in the text, I borrowed a tip from another TSR user which involved following the text along with my finger. I moved my finger along twice across each line of text and from line to line (if its a super dense text sometimes 3 times along).
    After doing the review screen thing explained above, I skipped through to all the T/F/CT questions. After that, I took it passage by passage pretty much. *A couple of sets had mostly hard questions that required review of the whole passage, I skipped and flagged those and ultimately had to guess them as I ran out of time towards the end. I think this was a good choice as I spent my time more effectively.*

DM - I know it doesn't count but I do feel like DM was vital to my score. I was feeling a bit unconfident after VR, so I took 5 minutes to completely calm down. Then in my booklet, I wrote all the relevant formulas and other bits of information that I felt like I could need down on one page of the booklet and in the back I wrote all the patterns I could think of. I didn't use this information at all actually but I feel like it comforted me and calmed me right down. This left me with about 15 minutes left for the DM and I did as much of it as possible.*
    QR - My weakest point for sure before the test
    I pretty much had the experience of most people here *in that QR was much much easier than any mock test or question sets. I had a lot of pie charts which were really easy to deal with. Really really simple data tables, a couple of bar charts. A lot of stuff that was simple additions, percentages. I didn't manage to get through all of it but did a got chunk and guessed *the rest. Anything that looked like it would remotely confuse me, I skipped and this was definitely a good strategy. Every test seems to have a few sets with only 1 question, try to spot those when you are originally clicking next on all the questions as they are normally simple 1/2 step questions so they are definitely worth completing.*

AR - My lowest mark on the day
    I hate AR with a passion and always have. I consistently struggled to spot simple patterns and my mock ARs were all over the place. At first, I couldnt really see any patterns in the sets and did the complete the sequence/statement qs instead but about half way through the questions, I started spotting some patterns. *When I went back over the patterns I hadn't spotted again, I saw more and more patterns. I did have to guess 5 or 6 sets though. I found the Which is from Set A/Set B questions really hard and had to guess those. If you are like me and just struggle with these shape things, I'd recommend just practicing it to death, theres only so many patterns possible and I feel like I just got used to seeing certain rules as opposed to making any genuine connections.*

SJT -
    By SJT I was tired and really wanted to go but I forced myself to check all my flagged questions then all the overall questions. I don't really know what to say about it except that I think reading the GMC guidelines helped a lot. Like everyone says, always put what you should do as opposed to would do. Confidentiality or risk of infection is something that they never budge on, you are always expected to act on that and it means answers are usually more extreme.*

I used the Kaplan Book Succeeding something first for like 4 days then worked solidly on medify for 2-3 hours for 5 days and did mocks across the week before my test. I did take one day in between fully off and did nothing. I completed all the Medify questions bar SJT and did all the Medify mocks as well as the UKCAT mocks. I did all of my verbal reasoning under timed conditions, and after I got the hang of AR and QR, did them under timed conditions too. I think this really helps, the ukcat is as much skill as it is practice and strategy.*My average in mocks was 671 ish over 6 mocks, with VR being 747, QR being 609 and AR being 657. Mocks don't mean that much in terms of marks but are absolutely invaluable in terms of getting used to the test. Save them till the week before but don't leave too many to do towards the end like I did.

This thread has been a great source of support through this so thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Heyyy I did my ukcat and this is my breakdown:

VR- 540 (this brought my entire average down by a lot)
    QR - 720
    AR - 690
    SJT - Band 2
    Total : 1950
    Average: 650

predicted : A A A

can someone help me and tell me what decile i fall into judging by the interim results? i am having difficulty in working this out.

also i want to apply to medical unis in london ... i was thinking kings, queens, st georges and imperial ..
    would i be offered an interview for these universities?
    with kings the lowest they've given on their website is 630 -735???? under what circumstances did a candidate get an interview with that ukcat score??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    Heyyy I did my ukcat and this is my breakdown:

VR- 540 (this brought my entire average down by a lot)
    QR - 720
    AR - 690
    SJT - Band 2
    Total : 1950
    Average: 650

predicted : A A A

can someone help me and tell me what decile i fall into judging by the interim results? i am having difficulty in working this out.

also i want to apply to medical unis in london ... i was thinking kings, queens, st georges and imperial ..
    would i be offered an interview for these universities?
    with kings the lowest they've given on their website is 630 -735???? under what circumstances did a candidate get an interview with that ukcat score??
    Imperial is a bmat school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaysinn)
    Imperial is a bmat school
    yeah i know. i'm gonna do bmat

ReputationRep:
    I've got an average score of 603 and a band 1 for SJT! Which universities look at SJT and would let me in with my score of 603?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm an Italian student and I'm applying for UKCAT unis but still a bit unsure about where exactly. I got:
    VR 610
    QR 690
    AR 670
    Average 656.7
    SJ Band 2
    I was thinking about choosing Edinburgh, Dundee, maybe one in London (??) and the fourth is yet to decide.
    Do you think I would stand a chance? Or where do you think it'd be better to apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FA_600)
    UEA accept resits as long as ABB was obtained in the first sitting i.e. before resit. They also state that you must achieve an A* in at least one subject after resit.
    Yeah I was thinking about UEA but I got a C grade in my dropped AS (4ums from B) and UEA wants a B in the 4th AS. I just need to take a look at all the resit policies again because I think I stand a good chance now hopefully at getting an interview with my score

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carbon_)
    I did MSci in Chemistry (undergraduate + integrated Masters)
    Are you on a gap year now then?

(Original post by Lostperson)
    what makes you say that?

10,000 people sat their test by the time the pre lim scores were out?
    usually around 20,000 sit the ukcat no?

so it could co up/down?
    Well more people means lower average as not everyone scores highly.

(Original post by ASTK98)
    Just going by past trends. People seem to perform worse towards the end of the exam season (September/October); prelim scores are generally higher than the average scores

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People don't actually do worse (although some could do if you're stressing about BMAT/GAMSAT/UCAS on top of UKCAT).. it's just a bigger population compared to 10,000 doing it prelim so scores have a wider range and the mean tends to be lower.

(Original post by ThrowawayMike)
    I don't have a science background so there aren't any courses I'm aware of that would consider my application without one. Have you found any potential alternatives?

The way I look at it, if I do a 5 year course, then I might as well apply for GEM next year as my time to graduation with GEM would be 5 years with far less expense.
    (Original post by ellen111)
    Im a GEM applicant too and did terribly and got an average of 580 yesterday. have you considered applying to 5 year courses as your average is not bad for those ones? i'm still debating whether to apply or not this *year, I know my chances are very low but at least there is still a chance thats the way I'm looking at it *
    Why are you both not considering 6-year foundation courses? I don't know much about them but I'm sure some med schools have ones for people from non-science backgrounds? Not considering GAMSAT either?

(Original post by ItsAbdullah99)
    So i did my ukcat yesterday and got an average of 763. Any suggestions on what unis i should apply to that are ukcat heavy? bearing in mind my gcses werent really the best.
    Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenigma)
    Are you on a gap year now then?

Well more people means lower average as not everyone scores highly.

People don't actually do worse (although some could do if you're stressing about BMAT/GAMSAT/UCAS on top of UKCAT).. it's just a bigger population compared to 10,000 doing it prelim so scores have a wider range and the mean tends to be lower.

Why are you both not considering 6-year foundation courses? I don't know much about them but I'm sure some med schools have ones for people from non-science backgrounds? Not considering GAMSAT either?

Newcastle.
    *Im doing a science degree so foundation courses don't apply, but thanks for the suggestion*

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain the deciles thing to me?? i got 1950 so what decile would i be in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    can someone explain the deciles thing to me?? i got 1950 so what decile would i be in
    5th.

ReputationRep:
    I've got an average score of 603 and a band 1 for SJT! Which universities look at SJT and would let me in with my score of 603?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenigma)
    5th.
    Ahhh! What unis in London would be likely to consider me for an interview?

ReputationRep:
    Wait does anyone know the preliminary scores for 2015? According to last years overall im in the 9th decile but if we go by this years overall im in the 7th. Is it the norm for the average to be lower than preliminary average?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    You got close to me, I got 1960 and that's about 56th :/
    1950 might be around 54th

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.