Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Aww :hugs: . Related to what? Your NQT year?
    Everything really. PGCE write up due Monday, had a week from hell and just collapsing.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear you've not been getting anywhere. I regularly look at support vacancies and in my area there is LOADS of TA jobs at the moment! And there normally always is. As for the time of year I would imagine there is still some more to come but there will be an understandable drought in August (although I wouldn't rule out some jobs coming up). Support jobs, in my experience, do have a year round turn over, as opposed to teaching going through peaks.

I believe they do a supply system for TAs. I imagine it would be harder to get any days than teaching, but my mum is a TA and she's done that in the past, as have some of her colleagues.
    I got a call this evening offering me an interview on Monday morning. Very exciting!

I got the job. I'm quite pleased as it sounds much better than I expected and the college looks very nice, plus the staff were lovely. The pay is also much better than I expected. My aim when I started the PGCE was always to teach A-Level Politics and that is what I'll be doing, so I guess you could say I've achieved my goal.
    Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    I got the job. I'm quite pleased as it sounds much better than I expected and the college looks very nice, plus the staff were lovely. The pay is also much better than I expected. My aim when I started the PGCE was always to teach A-Level Politics and that is what I'll be doing, so I guess you could say I've achieved my goal.
    Woohoo! Congratulations!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    Everything really. PGCE write up due Monday, had a week from hell and just collapsing.
    We all have a bad week. If I were you, I would take the Saturday off and complete the write up on Sunday. If you jump straight I'm into your write after a bad week, you will not be as productive.

Good luck Lantan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    Oh I'm sorry. I know some weeks just can't get any worse. It's nearly over though. Your PGCE is finishing late! You have the summer to relaz soon.
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Congratulations

I really hope you have a super positive experience, and am so happy that you've gotten more in to teaching. NQT year is tough but also fun and a great learning experience.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks . It's part time so it won't quite be an NQT year but that doesn't bother me. I'm expecting it tobe hard work because I'll be the sole politics teacher but I guess it's good experience!
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I got a call this evening offering me an interview on Monday morning. Very exciting!

Congratulations!
    Oooh good luck with that. Let us know how it goes. I can't believe how complex TA interviews are. I got a couple of interviews for TA level 3 (I didn't attend in the end) and they were full day things like teaching.
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    Woohoo! Congratulations!!
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'm sorry. I know some weeks just can't get any worse. It's nearly over though. Your PGCE is finishing late! You have the summer to relaz soon.

Thanks . It's part time so it won't quite be an NQT year but that doesn't bother me. I'm expecting it tobe hard work because I'll be the sole politics teacher but I guess it's good experience!

Oooh good luck with that. Let us know how it goes. I can't believe how complex TA interviews are. I got a couple of interviews for TA level 3 (I didn't attend in the end) and they were full day things like teaching.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm so happy for you! Part time should give you the space to see if this is really what you want but it sounds like the ideal first job for you. I'm the only computing teacher and it is a lot responsibility to be the only teacher with a particular subject but it definitely gives you more space to do it the way you want to.

ReputationRep:
    I've got some induction days next week at my new school, and whenever I think about them I feel kinda stressed and depressed, which is worrying me slightly for September. I am hoping its all related to nerves - being somewhere new, all the colleagues I have to meet, routines to learn, etc. My PGCE only finished last week, so I feel a bit resentful that I am experiencing 'stress' again so soon, even though these days *should* be exciting, and a chance to get a bit settled at the school. I feel ridiculous saying that I'm stressed about them, because I haven't even had to plan anything for them, it's all be organised by the school. I guess reality is sinking in about the step up to NQT. Please say that someone else feels something similar!

ReputationRep:
    The unknown is always stressful! You will love it once you get there and the introductions are over with. It is a great feeling teaching your own classes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adastraz)
    I've got some induction days next week at my new school, and whenever I think about them I feel kinda stressed and depressed, which is worrying me slightly for September. I am hoping its all related to nerves - being somewhere new, all the colleagues I have to meet, routines to learn, etc. My PGCE only finished last week, so I feel a bit resentful that I am experiencing 'stress' again so soon, even though these days *should* be exciting, and a chance to get a bit settled at the school. I feel ridiculous saying that I'm stressed about them, because I haven't even had to plan anything for them, it's all be organised by the school. I guess reality is sinking in about the step up to NQT. Please say that someone else feels something similar!
    Honestly you will be fine. I finished my induction week yesterday and it was really fun. It will be the first you will be going to a school without planning for a single lesson, so enjoy it!!

Induction week is quite good opportunity to ask questions, that way you won't be scared come September.

ReputationRep:
    That's great news - what's it for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    That's great news - what's it for?
    Full time TA in KS2! I'm considering taking some evidence from out of my teaching file along of progress I have helped children make or things I have done? Does anyone think that is a good idea or just a bit over enthusiastic?

ReputationRep:
    Full time TA in KS2! I'm considering taking some evidence from out of my teaching file along of progress I have helped children make or things I have done? Does anyone think that is a good idea or just a bit over enthusiastic?
    Sounds like just the ticket. As for the evidence, I'm not really up to speed on how interviews go these days, but it'd do no harm to keep it in your bag and produce it if the moment seems appropriate, I'd guess. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I think this sounds good. I went for a technically non teaching job, in a nursery, and took a folder with what I felt was relevant, they actually enjoyed looking at it (and I got the job).

You having a deeper understanding of learning and experience can only be good. Just make sure you know answers for questions about how you're good at working under direction, how you are enthusiastic about this role and are not just looking for something to tide you over etc.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Sounds like just the ticket. As for the evidence, I'm not really up to speed on how interviews go these days, but it'd do no harm to keep it in your bag and produce it if the moment seems appropriate, I'd guess. Good luck!
    Thank you!

(Original post by kpwxx)
    I think this sounds good. I went for a technically non teaching job, in a nursery, and took a folder with what I felt was relevant, they actually enjoyed looking at it (and I got the job).

You having a deeper understanding of learning and experience can only be good. Just make sure you know answers for questions about how you're good at working under direction, how you are enthusiastic about this role and are not just looking for something to tide you over etc.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your advice, I will take that on board. It helps that I am actually really enthusiastic about the job. It's all the bits I liked about teaching (intervention work, leading groups, 1:1 support) that I enjoyed, without the relentless planning and marking! Obviously there are challenges in TA work but I'm really hoping to get the job. Did a trial shift at a pub last night and was bored silly!

ReputationRep:
    Had the interview, just waiting to hear back now. Was talking to two girls before I went in to be interviewed - when the deputy head came to collect me he said 'oh, you've already met her then!' Turns out the job is a 1:1 position and I'd just been talking to the child I'd be working with. Interview was quite quick as I don't think my answers were long enough. Hope it was good enough!

ReputationRep:
    Had the interview, just waiting to hear back now. Was talking to two girls before I went in to be interviewed - when the deputy head came to collect me he said 'oh, you've already met her then!' Turns out the job is a 1:1 position and I'd just been talking to the child I'd be working with. Interview was quite quick as I don't think my answers were long enough. Hope it was good enough!
    Let us know xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Let us know xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, I will. Haven't heard anything yet though so starting to think it might be a no

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I will. Haven't heard anything yet though so starting to think it might be a no
    Did they say when you'd hear?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did they say when you'd hear?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They said it would be tonight. I somehow missed their call earlier so I've rang up to let them know and am waiting for the head to call back! Have felt sick with nerves all day.

ReputationRep:
    They said it would be tonight. I somehow missed their call earlier so I've rang up to let them know and am waiting for the head to call back! Have felt sick with nerves all day.
    Oh no, I can't believe you missed it! Well the fact they didn't leave a voicemail saying you weren't successful is promising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.