Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Honestly, I could cry for all of you when I think about how difficult they make it for you. I can't honestly say that all this hoop jumping makes anyone a better teacher. You've either got it or you haven't, if I am totally honest, and frankly, they should be damn glad anyone still wants to do the job, not pull the rug from under their feet as soon as they start to walk unaided. (I'm mixing the metaphors at bit tonight, I'm afraid. Also sounding even more of a cynical old cow than usual. Been that kind of a day.)
    I know, it's just so difficult, but as we were told (endlessly in fact) it's a buyers market so we just have to be the best we can be. Hopefully that will be enough.

Then we were told that in Lancashire it's around 39 people per job (which I didn't think was that bad) but then it's soon whittled down by those with errors or mistakes so it's not ridiculous. I thought it was easily 100+ per job (you'd think that with all the doom and gloom!)

Difficult times, I shall keep my fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    I know, it's just so difficult, but as we were told (endlessly in fact) it's a buyers market so we just have to be the best we can be. Hopefully that will be enough.

Then we were told that in Lancashire it's around 39 people per job (which I didn't think was that bad) but then it's soon whittled down by those with errors or mistakes so it's not ridiculous. I thought it was easily 100+ per job (you'd think that with all the doom and gloom!)

Difficult times, I shall keep my fingers crossed!
    I shall do the same for all of you. After all, I may not be allowed to retire if there's no one to take my place!

ReputationRep:
    I shall do the same for all of you. After all, I may not be allowed to retire if there's no one to take my place!
    What is this word, 'retire' you speak of?

He he! Thank you! I think we all will need it! Alongside a wing and a prayer!

ReputationRep:
    What is this word, 'retire' you speak of?

He he! Thank you! I think we all will need it! Alongside a wing and a prayer!
    A word which may well have ceased to have any serious meaning by the time you are my age. Kids will become accustomed to aged staff dying at their desks, an event which I've only actually come across once in my career thus far.

ReputationRep:
    I've just read this entire thread (as I have my PGCE interview next week and needed a bit of 'light reading' to take my mind of the nerves). Not sure if I'm even more terrified now but I definitely can't say I'm not aware of the pressures! Hope things get better and easier for everyone .

Just out of curiosity, those on primary pgce courses, when did your first placement start, how long was it and did you have to teach from your first day at the school? Thanks in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarang_assa)
    I've just read this entire thread (as I have my PGCE interview next week and needed a bit of 'light reading' to take my mind of the nerves). Not sure if I'm even more terrified now but I definitely can't say I'm not aware of the pressures! Hope things get better and easier for everyone .

Just out of curiosity, those on primary pgce courses, when did your first placement start, how long was it and did you have to teach from your first day at the school? Thanks in advance!!
    Personally...

We had two pre-course placements, accompanied by a 50 task and 15 task booklet. This was 8 days in a primary and 2 in a secondary school. The questions were focused on observations, policies, behaviour strategies etc.

Whilst on the course, we have spent every Thursday with our school training centre. For my group, this has meant spending the day with our school tutor, having discussions, observations, practical sessions like PE and ICT. For others, they have meant going into their actual placement school to spend longer with their class.

Fridays are spent either in university or on our 'alternative placement visits'. These are mainly observational and reflective visits to a range of schools, with focuses on EAL, SEN, EYFS etc.

Our first placement began in Nov. It was three weeks long and included another task booklet. We worked a lot with small groups and taught three classes. This time was also important to gather the medium term planning for our second placement.
    The second placement is in the same class, in January. We have to teach 65% of the time.

Our big/main placement begins just before Easter and lasts 10 weeks. There, we have to teach 80% of the time.

At the end of the course, we have two weeks of 'enhancement'. These weeks can take a range of forms but are usually spent on further school placements - perhaps in an SEN school, if that is your interest area etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks affinity89. That puts my mind at rest somewhat. Do you have to do one placement in ks1 and one in ks2 or does it vary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarang_assa)
    Thanks affinity89. That puts my mind at rest somewhat. Do you have to do one placement in ks1 and one in ks2 or does it vary?
    It depends on the course, but usually, for a general primary pgce, you will do a placement in each key stage.

I'm doing my shorter placement [6 weeks, teaching 65% of the time] in ks2 and my longer placement [10 weeks, teaching 80% of the time] in ks1.

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo I've finished teaching for the term! We have a carol service on Thursday when I would've done my two final lessons, so I was finished before lunch today!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be starting a PGCE History course in September, any recommendations as to what i should be preparing before i begin? Anything to lighten the eventual load?

ReputationRep:
    I am really enjoying planning for my literacy topic.
    I am doing stories from other cultures and have picked India [personal interest lol].
    I know the main activities we are going to do [reading/writing, speaking/listening] and the stories we are focusing on. The situation has been complicated, however, by the class situation. I teach a year 2/3/4 class. However, the year 2s go down to the KS1 class for literacy and numeracy the majority of the time. They are in my class for literacy just one day a week. The class teacher normally lets them read or colour in, but I don't want to do that - can you imagine what an observer would say if I did that. So, I am trying to ensure there is a build up and progression for my year 3/4s, whilst also ensuring the year 2s can engage fully with the lesson. The solution I have decided upon is to interject the novel with folk stories, which we can look at in one lesson. For the year 2s, this will mean they explore three Indian folk stories over the three weeks. For my year 3/4s, I am hoping they will enhance their understanding of the novel/s and help build up a greater picture of Indian cultre, to help with our writing. Fingers crossed it all works!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I could cry for all of you when I think about how difficult they make it for you. I can't honestly say that all this hoop jumping makes anyone a better teacher. You've either got it or you haven't, if I am totally honest, and frankly, they should be damn glad anyone still wants to do the job, not pull the rug from under their feet as soon as they start to walk unaided. (I'm mixing the metaphors at bit tonight, I'm afraid. Also sounding even more of a cynical old cow than usual. Been that kind of a day.)
    This is such a good post and I agree with everything! I want to rep almost every post of yours I read!
    I really feel I have landed on my feet in my current job. Not in the UK so not facing any of these horrible pension reforms and a lovely school with lovely kids and colleagues.

ReputationRep:
    Got my results from our first assessed piece of work (group presentation) and our group got 70%, so pleased!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    This is such a good post and I agree with everything! I want to rep almost every post of yours I read!
    I really feel I have landed on my feet in my current job. Not in the UK so not facing any of these horrible pension reforms and a lovely school with lovely kids and colleagues.
    Aw, shucks! I'm so glad you've got a job you love. It makes all the difference in the world. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    We had our Teaching Fayre today, not sure how I feel about it. The general advice was all a bit conflicting, supply agencies at every angle saying how great they are and then other advice suggesting supply should only be a last ditch option to stave off the 16 month countdown. Then that we should get 'other' jobs in education if we can't find teaching jobs. Hmmm.

The main 'advice' was to relocate down south to get the NQT year finished. If I could I really would but it's just not going to be possible. Feeling rather deflated, I know getting a job is going to be an unimaginable hurdle but more positivity would have been nice!
    The 16 month thing for doing supply has now gone, its now 5 years. The word on the TES forum is due to the fact loads of people are struggling to find jobs so they need to make it longer to stop people from dropping out of teaching. I'm inclined to agree.

I think that its really good that your uni is telling you about your options with supply because my uni didn't mention it once. When I ended up looking into it I was completely on my own as it hadn't once been mentioned at uni that we wouldn't get a job. I started doing supply this year as an NQT primarily because I didn't have a job as at the end of my PGCE I was looking for a job in a place where I didn't live/train because I knew I was moving to London. This meant it was so much harder because I couldn't go and visit schools, which is pretty much essential when applying in order to get an interview. To be honest, even in London getting a job is really tough because all of the great NQTs who are able to do so are moving down here. Its kind of like a big pool of outstanding NQTs and I'm glad that I have the outstanding rating to my name as otherwise I would have been seriously struggling on the job front. I did a lot of research on the TES forums and took the plunge. It hasn't been toooooooo bad although I have bad/good days and I've learnt a lot in a short space of time. I know that a lot of people on my PGCE wouldn't have been able to deal with some of the classes I've taught as they struggled so much with behaviour management with their own class on the PGCE, so it isn't for everyone, but its been alright. Its certainly taught me an awful lot about lesson planning and ensuring my notes/timetable/everything are available for if I ever were off school.

In terms of doing longer term supply work through an agency, I wouldn't bother as you're not paid enough for it. The pay is very good for a case of "turn up at 8.15 and go home at 3.45 without doing any planning or much marking" but it isn't the same as you'd get if you were employed by an LEA on a normal contract in a school because the supply agency takes a cut. As an agency supply teacher you also don't get paid over the school holidays, whereas a normal class teacher would get paid meaning when half term/Christmas comes up you're short on money as they pay you weekly, per day worked. You're better off doing day to day supply then looking for a maternity cover/permanent job at the same time. However, I wouldn't advise telling the supply agency that you're doing this - I've never mentioned to mine that I am looking for a permanent job and have interviews so they get me enough work because I'm good and annoy them by phoning constantly to ask for updates, whereas other people I know were honest from the outset and said they were only doing supply as a temporary thing and they haven't been offered any work.

100% forgot about a Year 8 lesson I agreed to take tomorrow - too focused on getting through a progress audit/inspection from the uni periods 4 & 5 today instead. It's 8 o'clock, I'm meant to be playing badminton at 9, and all I have in front of me is a blank lesson plan with no ideas nor inspiration. Bugger.

Worse still, there's a few bottles of wine (specifically a Chianti, a Rioja and a Sauv Blanc - presents for the rest of the History department) sat on my desk tormenting me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by oxymoronic)
      The 16 month thing for doing supply has now gone, its now 5 years. The word on the TES forum is due to the fact loads of people are struggling to find jobs so they need to make it longer to stop people from dropping out of teaching. I'm inclined to agree.

I think that its really good that your uni is telling you about your options with supply because my uni didn't mention it once. When I ended up looking into it I was completely on my own as it hadn't once been mentioned at uni that we wouldn't get a job. I started doing supply this year as an NQT primarily because I didn't have a job as at the end of my PGCE I was looking for a job in a place where I didn't live/train because I knew I was moving to London. This meant it was so much harder because I couldn't go and visit schools, which is pretty much essential when applying in order to get an interview. To be honest, even in London getting a job is really tough because all of the great NQTs who are able to do so are moving down here. Its kind of like a big pool of outstanding NQTs and I'm glad that I have the outstanding rating to my name as otherwise I would have been seriously struggling on the job front. I did a lot of research on the TES forums and took the plunge. It hasn't been toooooooo bad although I have bad/good days and I've learnt a lot in a short space of time. I know that a lot of people on my PGCE wouldn't have been able to deal with some of the classes I've taught as they struggled so much with behaviour management with their own class on the PGCE, so it isn't for everyone, but its been alright. Its certainly taught me an awful lot about lesson planning and ensuring my notes/timetable/everything are available for if I ever were off school.

In terms of doing longer term supply work through an agency, I wouldn't bother as you're not paid enough for it. The pay is very good for a case of "turn up at 8.15 and go home at 3.45 without doing any planning or much marking" but it isn't the same as you'd get if you were employed by an LEA on a normal contract in a school because the supply agency takes a cut. As an agency supply teacher you also don't get paid over the school holidays, whereas a normal class teacher would get paid meaning when half term/Christmas comes up you're short on money as they pay you weekly, per day worked. You're better off doing day to day supply then looking for a maternity cover/permanent job at the same time. However, I wouldn't advise telling the supply agency that you're doing this - I've never mentioned to mine that I am looking for a permanent job and have interviews so they get me enough work because I'm good and annoy them by phoning constantly to ask for updates, whereas other people I know were honest from the outset and said they were only doing supply as a temporary thing and they haven't been offered any work.
      Thanks for the great advice! I will definitely not take up any long term supply off an agency now, just apply straight to the school itself. I am just trying to be proactive now to help gain employment later, everything I do at the moment I'm trying to think how I could link it to my personal philosophy, cover letter and (If I'm lucky) possible interview questions.

I did ask the rep of ATL who was at the fayre about the 16 month rule and they said as it stands it is still in effect and that they are only thinking of changing it, is this not the case? I hope not because the pressure of getting a job with it, feels immense.

I really wish I was in a position to move as I would definitely think about doing it if I couldn't get a job in the North West. I know I am lucky that my final placement is going to be in the area I will be applying for jobs so interviews and school visits will be much more manageable.

Another question, are school visits usually held after school hours? Or during the day? As I doubt we'll be able to justify a morning/afternoon off placement for a visit.

ReputationRep:
      Is it possible to talk to one of you about my interview for pgce primary? Im desperate for advice and struggling, it would be a huge help and i would really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
      Good luck!

We've got so much to do before Christmas, can't wait to get it all done! I'm moving house on 28th December, I must be mad. Two massive and stressful life events during my PGCE year, getting married and moving house! What next!
      they sound like lovely life events! i crashed my car and am having my tonsils taken out, care to trade!?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.