Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prometheus_bob)
    The visa centre in KL was staffed by mainly indians...while I don't mean to sound at all racist, I had a HARD time trying to interpret what they were saying through some HEAVY accents...'in my mind' somehow became 'marmite' and for some reason, I actually wrote it down as one of the items to bring...sigh...
    thats good preparation for england then. lol.

as for the visa thing, you can always hire a lawyer to take care of everything and save you the trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinc11)
    thats good preparation for england then. lol.

as for the visa thing, you can always hire a lawyer to take care of everything and save you the trouble.
    haha thats true...I think Arshad Ajeed was the first Pakistani mayor of London...I should have dragged my uncle along especially since he's married to my Indian aunt. He'd be able to understand them, innit? :P

ReputationRep:
    Uh...ok.

I need an opinion. Should I keep working till e 2nd week of sept, or should i stick with the plan and stop at the end of this term?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by life_rockz)
    Uh...ok.

I need an opinion. Should I keep working till e 2nd week of sept, or should i stick with the plan and stop at the end of this term?
    Drop working at the end of this term definitly. Spend whatever remaining time you have preparing for your stay in the UK or for your course (reading, etc.).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by life_rockz)
    Uh...ok.

Definitely give yourself a break... you need the month to pamper yourself with life's luxuries!

ReputationRep:
    DITCH WORK. don't be like me, wasting away in the office for 7 months plus, able to beat everyone (all the permanent staff that is) hands down when it comes to grumbling.

you need some time to sort out your luggage, emotions, and other types of baggage. and say all the goodbyes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused. CMS, what exactly are you going to study, and where?

ReputationRep:
    i thought it's in my profile?

anyway i'm going to study MORSE, which is not the dots and dashes, at the university of warwick, which is not in warwick. hope i've confused you more.

(MORSE stands for maths, operations research, stats and econs btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMS)
    i thought it's in my profile?

anyway i'm going to study MORSE, which is not the dots and dashes, at the university of warwick, which is not in warwick. hope i've confused you more.

(MORSE stands for maths, operations research, stats and econs btw)
    I should have looked.. right. :p:

MORSE is a fantastic course from what I hear!

Scholarship?

ReputationRep:
    nah. too crappy to get one. but quite happy with the fact that i'm bonded to no one except my dad (he wanted a scholarship more than i did)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMS)
    nah. too crappy to get one. but quite happy with the fact that i'm bonded to no one except my dad (he wanted a scholarship more than i did)
    Haha i'm sure that (forced) decision will pay off in the long run as long as you score well for your MORSE course! :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    Ok to catch up with an entire pageful of posts:

Dodgy typo was having the year typed as 2005 instead of 2006, dodgy lack of documents was not enough evidence to show that DAMMIT my parents have enough money to pay for not 1 but 3 years of my education alright?

That said, the visa application was *finally* successful as of this afternoon. Now to wait for the visa to get back to me *twiddles thumbs*

Now, wouldn't it be horribly ironic if something happened along the way?

Also, I second cms regarding Sam not coming here, however Val if you so wish you can get her email address from either cms or myself.. PM away!

And I'm working til 31 aug too >< but it's part-time so I've still got time to settle all the forms and paperwork and random miscellaneous things. Oddly enough, I'm dying to start packing for real No panic attack yet, here's hoping it won't hit when I step off the plane onto Heathrow. Ack.

Why would anyone bring Marmite to England?!

ReputationRep:
    you mean sam has an email address???

well my mum wanted me to bring pots to the uk.

knogle: i believe you're interested in MORSE as well? come be my junior :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMS)
    you mean sam has an email address???

well my mum wanted me to bring pots to the uk.

knogle: i believe you're interested in MORSE as well? come be my junior :P
    What? NO!! The course is too geeky for me. :p: *runs and hides*

ReputationRep:
    Of course she does. She's not entirely reclusive, she just has issues with technology heh.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody, i am new here (relatively)

I am currently doing the International Baccalaureate Programme and am in Year 1.

I read in some of the previous posts that Oxford does not allow deferment? Is that true?

Well, I intend to do either Law or Oriental Studies in Oxford (hopefully, prayerfully, preferably).

Could someone fill me in on these two courses in Oxford?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loeweloewe)

I am currently doing the International Baccalaureate Programme and am in Year 1.

I read in some of the previous posts that Oxford does not allow deferment? Is that true?

Well, I intend to do either Law or Oriental Studies in Oxford (hopefully, prayerfully, preferably).

Thanks
    it does allow, for a year. more than that, it's subjected to each college's own policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loeweloewe)

Thanks
    :hello:

Oxford allows you to defer your application for a year. Like Alvin said, beyond that, it's down to the individual college... i'm not aware of any colleges which permit 2-year deferments.

Are you male or female, BTW? I would still encourage you to apply in yr2 even if you're male, for the sake of experience. You may be forced to give up the offer, but the entire application process is an experience you'll enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    hi!

with NS at its current duration, you might be able to start school only 1 year later than the girls. and you could consider skipping the first few weeks of school if you can't make it to the uk so soon. i know someone who's going to do that.

oh and i'm assuming you're of the male persuasion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMS)
    hi!

with NS at its current duration, you might be able to start school only 1 year later than the girls. and you could consider skipping the first few weeks of school if you can't make it to the uk so soon. i know someone who's going to do that.

oh and i'm assuming you're of the male persuasion.
    Few guys manage to do that BTW. Many combat fit guys will ORD in November but only a handful will be able to go to the UK in the same year that they ORD, since it involves you missing 2-3 weeks of school and leniency on the part of your superiors. I'll be done in January and have ~9 months to bum around before uni!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.