Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayooshc)
    yep if you could you'd definitely do both. Just wondering, where is FM a necessity?
    Off the top of my head, Cambridge, LSE and universities like that.

You can find out more info here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...tor2u_2013.pdf

Although it is possible to get into some of the top uni's without FM, I think the courses that say FM is preferable or necessary are a lot more mathematical-meaning without it you'd be at a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    yep if you could you'd definitely do both. Just wondering, where is FM a necessity?
    FM isn't needed anywhere for Economics, it's just heavily preferred at some Universities like Cambridge and LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a qoute from the LSE website, what say ask for is likely to be the same as all of the other very top economics unis:

"Programme requirement: A level Mathematics is required. A level Economics is not essential. Further Mathematics taken at A level is strongly preferred and is seen as an additional or fourth subject. Thus a combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills. No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media Studies.

Usual standard offer: For students taking three A levels: grades A* A A with an A* in Mathematics. For students taking four or more A levels: grades A*A A plus a pass in a fourth A level, with an A* in Mathematics. Students taking Further Mathematics to AS level only will be required to achieve grade A."

ReputationRep:
    anyone know what AS grades are ideal for getting into a place like Bath ? do you need AAAA to get in there , or can AABB suffice ? ( talking about realistic chance of receiving an offer here )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    anyone know what AS grades are ideal for getting into a place like Bath ? do you need AAAA to get in there , or can AABB suffice ? ( talking about realistic chance of receiving an offer here )
    As long as you get a A*AA prediction and it's resonable so I'd say AABB/AAAC would be sufficient. Although just make sure you also have an A in GCSE Maths & English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    As long as you get a A*AA prediction and it's resonable so I'd say AABB/AAAC would be sufficient. Although just make sure you also have an A in GCSE Maths & English
    ok that sounds good , hopefully that's true !

hows everyones Personal Statement going ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    ok that sounds good , hopefully that's true !

hows everyones Personal Statement going ?
    Finished my 2nd draft, still need to get round and read a book and include that and probably need to edit some of the useless bits out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    FM isn't needed anywhere for Economics, it's just heavily preferred at some Universities like Cambridge and LSE.
    yep that's what i thought as well. thanks Ned of House Stark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Finished my 2nd draft, still need to get round and read a book and include that and probably need to edit some of the useless bits out.
    aye , im on my third draft now still 500 characters over the count though. yeah mine's still quite waffly , not sure how to get rid of the crap !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    aye , im on my third draft now still 500 characters over the count though. yeah mine's still quite waffly , not sure how to get rid of the crap !
    once you've finished cutting it down, it'll feel like it's almost bullet pointed, but really concise. every sentence should add something.

ReputationRep:
    once you've finished cutting it down, it'll feel like it's almost bullet pointed, but really concise. every sentence should add something.
    Yeah, I think I've pretty much finished mine now and I understand what you mean by this. I'm actually really proud of it and can't wait to get it checked when we go back to school

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    aye thats the plan. it's quite poor tbh , hopefully can fine-tune it by the time i apply ! hoping to apply pretty much when UCAS is available

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    aye thats the plan. it's quite poor tbh , hopefully can fine-tune it by the time i apply ! hoping to apply pretty much when UCAS is available
    I'm hoping to apply as early as possible too, id much prefer finding out if I got an offer earlier than later, especially if all my friends are getting offers and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    I'm hoping to apply as early as possible too, id much prefer finding out if I got an offer earlier than later, especially if all my friends are getting offers and stuff.

(Original post by Fas)
    Lots of universities make you wait anyway. I think I heard from Bristol after a couple of days and waited weeks/months for the rest. No advantage in applying earlier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    Lots of universities make you wait anyway.
    I guess but not all do. It would motivate me to do more work just getting even 1 offer quite early on.

ReputationRep:
    I guess but not all do. It would motivate me to do more work just getting even 1 offer quite early on.
    Exactly, with an early offer you have something to aim towards. On top of that, the earlier it's out the way the less stress on school.

ReputationRep:

Exactly, with an early offer you have something to aim towards. On top of that, the earlier it's out the way the less stress on school.
    Where are you applying, though?

My first offer was my last choice, hardly something to work towards :lol:, I don't think it's a disadvantage, necessarily (unless you believe in anti-Oxbridge applicant bias) but once you've applied it can feeling like you're just waiting and can be annoying getting random non-ucas emails

ReputationRep:

My first offer was my last choice, hardly something to work towards :lol:, I don't think it's a disadvantage, necessarily (unless you believe in anti-Oxbridge applicant bias) but once you've applied it can feeling like you're just waiting and can be annoying getting random non-ucas emails
    Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bristol. But I guess I'm being a bit too ambitious (mind the pun) with my choices. I have a very small chance of getting rejected by all 5 so getting an offer from Bristol like you said you did early, would mean I don't have to take a gap year.

ReputationRep:

UCL, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham (5th choice still undecided).

I guess thats a disadvantage of it, but if you're ready to apply early you might as well right? Theres no point hanging around. And no I don't believe in anti-Oxbridge applicant bias haha.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bristol. But I guess I'm being a bit too ambitious (mind the pun) with my choices. I have a very small chance of getting rejected by all 5 so getting an offer from Bristol like you said you did early, would mean I don't have to take a gap year.

UCL, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham (5th choice still undecided).

I guess thats a disadvantage of it, but if you're ready to apply early you might as well right? Theres no point hanging around. And no I don't believe in anti-Oxbridge applicant bias haha.
    Yeah, you'll get Bristol early but have to wait (maybe dec/jan) for the rest.
    Fair enough. Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.