Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    :emo: I think I am too...
    (Original post by icantexplain)
    lol same
    My plan is to do well in the Poetry exam, and I've done well in the CAs so I should still be able to get an A.

(Original post by Xmarksthesh0t)
    Howdy, first time I have seen you in another thread other than our year group one lol.

The monday test is going to be a killer revised for hours but felt as if all it wasn't helpful because of the unknown question, unlike science- 2 hours of revision seriously boosts your marks up.
    That's the part I hate most about it.. you can do hours and hours of revision only to find they ask a question you haven't revised

edit: How long should the answers to Sections A and B be?

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have any sample essays or good quotes with insightful explanations for Slim or Curley? So scared for this exam, I can't even describe it!

Also, what do you think could come up for Lord of the Flies?

I have been told to link to the conch and symbols, but how do I do this if the question is on a character?

ReputationRep:
    ****!
    It's worth 40%...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bp_tranquility)
    is it likely/ possible that they will ask about the changes of the natural setting in the first and last chapters?
    yes definitely! In my opinion natural setting is gonna come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sedasarahaydin)
    Would this come up in section B or A? I thought A is usually a passage

ReputationRep:
    Sunlight on the Grass and Of Mice and Men on Monday.
    Moon on the Tides on Thursday.

This is the one subject I've done the most work for but I'm really not looking forward to the exam... I just have this niggling feeling I won't get the grade I want.

Oh well. Fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    i really hope it comes up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    Although I don't see how you could write much about context if the question is about the setting...
    I strongly believe that natural setting is going to come up as i dont beleive it will be a character question. and yes you can link it to context (i.e. in my essay that you commented on) x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    Sunlight on the Grass and Of Mice and Men on Monday.
    Moon on the Tides on Thursday.

This is the one subject I've done the most work for but I'm really not looking forward to the exam... I just have this niggling feeling I won't get the grade I want.

Oh well. Fingers crossed.
    :console: :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    i really hope it comes up!
    samee!! it probably is as it won't be a character question due to it being too predictable. The only character left is slim..and the aqa board wont do slim due to everyone knowing this plus many teachers predicted natural setting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    ****!
    It's worth 40%...
    Ikr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack97)
    for the women in black they dont give you an extract? its just a question?

Edit: Also whats the conspiracy of silence?
    No they ask 2 questions and you choose 1. Conspiracy of silence just means tension built up.

ReputationRep:
    samee!! it probably is as it won't be a character question due to it being too predictable. The only character left is slim..and the aqa board wont do slim due to everyone knowing this plus many teachers predicted natural setting.
    Yay :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceangel8)
    Or maybe Edna if they're really really mean
    haha what.
    Edna, says someone is at the door.

Edna is a fascinating character.
    The title 'Mr' shows she is respectful. She does not appear in the rest of the play, representing lower class isolation.

-End of essay-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanroks1)
    Does anybody have any sample essays or good quotes with insightful explanations for Slim or Curley? So scared for this exam, I can't even describe it!

Also, what do you think could come up for Lord of the Flies?

I have been told to link to the conch and symbols, but how do I do this if the question is on a character?
    in my opinion, linking the symbol,
    conch relates to the theme of power and leader ship which links to the character jack and ralph and how their relationship developed.

piggy's glasses linking to piggy
    and also fire (symbol) and how it relates to survival but also to piggy's glasses which helps them to make fire.

dead airman links to false hope

beast links to the theme fear

the island is a symbol of nature which links to the characters actions
    and also simon

ReputationRep:
    Ikr
    The worst thing about it is that we only went through the stories a week before the exam. I get the general idea of the stories but if the wrong question comes up, that's me done...
    And the last time we did OMAM was back in year 10 for the controlled assessment.
    We haven't had any time to do practise papers... I feel so lost. And defeated, before the exam has even started. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshenSun)
    Hey, I'm doing it!
    ikr I don't know much of what I'm supposed to be revising for the Woman in Black :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanroks1)
    Would this come up in section B or A? I thought A is usually a passage
    it could come up in either one or even BOTH of them! yes question A is a passage question..and the passage that they'll most likely give would be the first page of the book or the last page! and a question that they could ask for question B might be along the lines of... 'Of mice and men starts and ends outside by a pool. what do you think is the significance of this natural setting, compared to the ranch where the rest of the story takes place.' i wrote a practice essay for it and posted it, you could get some ideas from it if you like. and is it possible for you to give it a mark for it as well, i'll appreciate it soo much.
    oh and by the way, have you got any idea how many marks each question for A and B is worth? All i know is the total is 60

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGirlx)
    How would you recommend we layout the Mice and Men question
    Like the two parts?
    Would you write say 2/3paragraphs for Part A and then 2/3paragraphs for Part B
    or would you just write the answer to Part A and Part B in each paragraph

Thanks
    - you seem to know this exam well lol thats why I'm asking you
    Definitely answer them separately! The 30 marks are awarded for both of them, so it's up to you how much you write for each part. I like to write about 2 pages for 'a' and 1 page for 'b' (because it's harder).

ReputationRep:
    Oh guys a quick question for Of mice and men: Is it possible to link ideas in a setting with other ideas in a different setting, even if it isn't asked in the question and as long as it answers the question?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.