The Student Room Group

AQA Economics Unit 4 11th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by lidiya
For question 08 of the inflation one: I talked about Phillips curve and trade off between inflation and unemployment..is that right?

that's a point :P
Okay so im a little confused because I did context two and I seem to have approached the question differently to others. The questions came across to me basically as 'how important is the eu and eurozone in helping the Uk perform better'?

In my answer I spoke about the trade in the Eu is not in the short run going to cause a export led recovery due to poor Eurozone performance.
Then I spoke about how the rest of the world could improve out economics growth in BRIC's ect...
Then I spoke about how domestic demand could be used to help stimulate growth through expansionary fiscal policy
And then evaluated

For part two I did the trade of question about interest and inflation, both of those questions were fine.

Is what I have put for context 2 wrong :/?
Reply 682
Original post by Axion
that's a point :P

yayyy..;DD
Reply 683
Original post by lidiya
yayyy..;DD

one of many points :wink:
Original post by Scratchyjam
Or you could just read the question properly.

Easy to say after the exam is done.... During it people are rushing so much that it is not uncommon to misread a question....#T-w-a-t
Original post by confusedstew
Okay so im a little confused because I did context two and I seem to have approached the question differently to others. The questions came across to me basically as 'how important is the eu and eurozone in helping the Uk perform better'?

In my answer I spoke about the trade in the Eu is not in the short run going to cause a export led recovery due to poor Eurozone performance.
Then I spoke about how the rest of the world could improve out economics growth in BRIC's ect...
Then I spoke about how domestic demand could be used to help stimulate growth through expansionary fiscal policy
And then evaluated

For part two I did the trade of question about interest and inflation, both of those questions were fine.

No that is correct for context a. The confusion has arisen over whether it is about whether we should leave the EU, this is incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 686
Original post by Ecomax
If by deficit you mean in Balance of Trade in Goods then yes

yup, that's the one
Original post by stefanocattaneo
No that is correct for context a. The confusion has arisen over whether it is about whether we should leave the EU, this is incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if you are not supposed to talk about fiscal policy at all why would they fill the whole of the context with stuff about austerity?
Reply 688
Or you could just read the question properly.

This exam expects you to write so much in two hours. Combined with exam pressure which affects everyone differently (loss of concentration, rationality) it is so easy for even the brightest students to be susceptible to misreading even one word in the question or the extracts which can completely change the direction of an essay.
Original post by Aranel
This exam expects you to write so much in two hours. Combined with exam pressure which affects everyone differently (loss of concentration, rationality) it is so easy for even the brightest students to be susceptible to misreading even one word in the question or the extracts which can completely change the direction of an essay.

Well in comparison to the old ECON6 exam, this is a much more manageable amount of work in 2 hours... #jussayin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 690
Original post by Axion
one of many points :wink:

talked about the E.R, (exports, imports) wealth effect,demand, supply and others.. so should be fine :wink:
Original post by Aranel

Don't get me wrong, I know how easy it is to do. I messed up the 5 marker because I saw that both context questions were on trade and poo'd a little bit.

But it's hardly the exam boards fault. They could issue more time, but at 1.5 minutes a mark it's not the worst time constraint. Plus the whole extract revolved around the EU, not the Eurozone if I remember correctly.
Reply 692
Original post by theseeker
How did you find the last part of the context 2? ;p

The one about whether the EU is a good option for the UK growth? I honestly can't remember the questions now, blocked it out of my head already haha! I thought it was okay, there's was ALOT of useful information within the data, and you could even link Extract A in which showed a lot of the EU countries doing rubbish growth wise :smile: x
Original post by ihatepeople37
Easy to say after the exam is done.... During it people are rushing so much that it is not uncommon to misread a question....#T-w-a-t

Yeah I am such a '#T-w-a-t' to be fair. Oh nice name by the way, you sound like a real samaritan.
Reply 694
Original post by confusedstew

And then evaluated

I put quite a lot of that in too :smile: don't worry about it now, if you found the essay question good, you've most likely done well on the paper :smile: x
Reply 695
Original post by stefanocattaneo
Well in comparison to the old ECON6 exam, this is a much more manageable amount of work in 2 hours... #jussayin

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, I think this exam is certainly manageable. The time limit however is still intense and it is so easy to make a mistake under exam pressure.

Can't comment on ECON6, if however it was so difficult then I'm glad AQA were actually proactive enough to change the Spec :tongue:
Reply 696
how did people answer number 10 - the 25 marker on supply side reforms improving deficit?

i went ...
- supply side - in depth (2 sides) reduce export prices, reduce inflation more internationally competitive. however doesn't reduce imports so still deficit potentially
- expenditure switching - direct controls and devaluation (evaluate with j curve and marshall lerner, always inflation - cost push or demand pull). this was in lots of detail too
- expenditure reducing - small para on how / what happens. not useful
-conclusion- supply side good, also so are expenditure switching

anyone similar? this ok?
when the question is about growth in the uk economy, and the extract talks about alternatives solutions to obtaining growth, I just don't see what is wrong with talking about expansionary fiscal policy to increase domestic demand :s-smilie:
Reply 698
Original post by lidiya
talked about the E.R, (exports, imports) wealth effect,demand, supply and others.. so should be fine :wink:

I talked about the inflation being cost push rather than demand pull so not much point in trying to suppress demand further. Talked about spare capacity limiting the increase in inflation. Talked about priorities and how growth is more essential than inflation at the moment

etc :smile:
Reply 699
Don't get me wrong, I know how easy it is to do. I messed up the 5 marker because I saw that both context questions were on trade and poo'd a little bit.

But it's hardly the exam boards fault. They could issue more time, but at 1.5 minutes a mark it's not the worst time constraint. Plus the whole extract revolved around the EU, not the Eurozone if I remember correctly.

I never stated it was down to the exam board, ultimately it is a mistake undertaken by the individual as they misread the question. The time constraint is not too severe, however when you take each individual candidate some will be affected more when under pressure than others, the time constraint may cause some to misread the question as they are behind on time for example. I was referring to the exam as a whole not just to the EU/Euro zone, which is why I made reference to the Contexts.

To simply say that someone should just read the question is completely disregarding the fact that everyone reacts differently under exam pressure and time limits, obviously the exam board cannot take that fully into account. That's the point I was trying to make.

Quick Reply

Latest