ReputationRep:
    You've never seen a village in Northern Ireland then :P

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    "Village-y"?

Spoiler:
    Show

Definitely a stunning picture, but I still standby my view. I'm not saying Cambridge is a village, but it is certainly more like one than Oxford.

Also, I have heard that the Cambridge colleges are more spread out compared to Oxford, which I wouldn't have liked. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

(Original post by Ja-m-ie)
    Definitely a stunning picture, but I still standby my view. I'm not saying Cambridge is a village, but it is certainly more like one than Oxford.

Also, I have heard that the Cambridge colleges are more spread out compared to Oxford, which I wouldn't have liked. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
    I've only ever visited Oxford once and stayed in Wadham, but I think the city as a whole is larger. On my doorstep, I had Wadham, Bailliol and Hertford - there's a similar cluster of Pembroke/Corpus/Peterhouse in Cambridge.

In terms of the rumour, I can't say I'd heard it before. However, leaving aside the very far out ones of Churchill/Girton/Homerton, for which you really need a bike, I think all colleges are within 5-10 minutes of another, and the greatest distance you'll have to walk is Robinson to Jesus, which would take about 40 minutes.

TL;DR - I'm not sure you're right. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly?

I wanted to show off my UMS marks.

I would have been happy at either.

ReputationRep:
    Two parents and both siblings went to Cambridge. So I'm just looking for a fight really.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    that and my GCSE's are better than my UMS, and Cambridge doesn't offer my course... but apart from that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    The theory is that Cambridge is just a university, and not much else. Oxford is meant to be a real city as well, with nightlife/shops/whatever.

[Never visited Cambridge, so I can't really judge...]
    I know, was messing around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    I've only ever visited Oxford once and stayed in Wadham, but I think the city as a whole is larger. On my doorstep, I had Wadham, Bailliol and Hertford - there's a similar cluster of Pembroke/Corpus/Peterhouse in Cambridge.

In terms of the rumour, I can't say I'd heard it before. However, leaving aside the very far out ones of Churchill/Girton/Homerton, for which you really need a bike, I think all colleges are within 5-10 minutes of another, and the greatest distance you'll have to walk is Robinson to Jesus, which would take about 40 minutes.

TL;DR - I'm not sure you're right. :p:
    Haha cheers, I love the TL;DR :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Honestly?

I wanted to show off my UMS marks.

I would have been happy at either.
    Haha Although I put my UMS marks (instead of grades for each module) within my UCAS application for Oxford. Perhaps you couldn't do it in your year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guyss

I'm currently trying to make my mind up! (PhysNatSci at Cam vs Physics at Ox)

All this time i thought i wanted to go to Cambridge but decided to think about Oxford for lulz, but i FELL IN LOVE WITH THE COURSE.

I'm thinking Tit Hall at Cambridge vs Univ/Worcester/Trinity at Oxford.

HELP MEEEEEEE!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anuradha_d)
    All this time i thought i wanted to go to Cambridge but decided to think about Oxford for lulz, but i FELL IN LOVE WITH THE COURSE
    The course is the important thing! Natural sciences would be a completely different experience to Physics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    The course is the important thing! Natural sciences would be a completely different experience to Physics...
    I knowww Ive been told! I was on the shadowing scheme and summer school at Cam this year, and they told us everything... but im still unsure! What i do know is that i want to be a Physicist, and that both courses offer this opportunity, but in different ways. I'm confuseded :'(

ReputationRep:
    To be honest?

I didn't have the UMS for Cambridge, (under 90 average UMS), Oxford is closer to where I live, more famous in my opinion and more familiar to me, bigger, I like the architecture more, and Oxford only interview around half of applicatnts, so I would have known straight away if I genuinely had a chance there or not, unlike Cambridge who interview 90% of applicants.

It paid off, I got an offer from Oxford, whereas I would have got a straight rejection from Cambridge if I had applied there. Cambridge = UMS freaks + horrible SAQ form lol (and they can see all your A level retakes.... yuck!)

ReputationRep:
    Picking Cambridge over Oxford took a lot of thought. They are two incredible universities in beautiful cities with amazing opportunities.

I picked Cambridge for a variety of reasons, some of which I'll share. As I'm somebody that suffers from depression and has Asperger's Syndrome I was very aware that I needed to pick the one that had the best support available for me. In this facet, Cambridge were excellent. I contacted the DRC (Disability Resources Centre) and they immediately invited me down to meet them and discuss my challenges. They were fantastic - absolutely incredible, so this was a huge tick mark on the Cambridge side to me. I also have a friend with a learning disability at Cambridge and she is always singing their praises at how fantastic they are in supporting her there. After seeing all the Cambridge schemes (particularly for AS) it felt like a no-brainer, and Oxford significantly lost the appeal it had before.

Having been to Oxford and Cambridge it is my personal opinion that Cambridge is much more beautiful and the university is integral to the city as its shops are. At Oxford I felt that the university was a lot more private and aloof which was another reason why I didn't apply there. It made me feel slightly uncomfortable walking around the city. Walking around Cambridge I felt much more comfortable and the university seemed much more open and welcoming. Though, I walked around Cambridge post-A2 results day with my A-Level grades so that may have made seem more attainable and therefore more attractive than Oxford did.

In addition to the above, I felt Oxford was too close to my home and too easy to get to. I wanted to move to a new area of the country and Oxford didn't really allow that. I knew that if I were to get into Oxford I'd be unable to resist the urge to go home every weekend, stopping me from enjoying my time there to the full.

On top of that, having received my A2 grades and seeing they were above the A*AA requirement that Cambridge request and that they were strong enough to withstand the SAQ I made the decision to apply. Also, Cambridge seem much more interested in meeting you and understanding you individually than Oxford (from what I've seen) e.g Cambridge interviews a higher proportion of applicants and the Winter Pool is fantastic in making sure nobody good gets away. I had significant extenuating circumstances which they were brilliant with, advising me to use the ECF (Extenuating Circumstances Form) and allowed me to elaborate in the spaces available in my SAQ what happened with me.

Lastly, Cambridge sits higher nationally and internationally in the league tables (though that wasn't really a consideration for me in all honesty, but if you're interested in that sort of thing it helps).

If you're trying to make a decision just follow your heart. Do your research, talk to people via TSR or people you know at either university and make your decision this way, sooner or later one will just feel right for you like it did for me. Visiting them both really helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogwartian1993)
    Having been to Oxford and Cambridge it is my personal opinion that Cambridge is much more beautiful and the university is integral to the city as its shops are. At Oxford I felt that the university was a lot more private and aloof which was another reason why I didn't apply there. It made me feel slightly uncomfortable walking around the city. Walking around Cambridge I felt much more comfortable and the university seemed much more open and welcoming. Though, I walked around Cambridge post-A2 results day with my A-Level grades so that may have made seem more attainable and therefore more attractive than Oxford did.

Cambridge seem much more interested in meeting you and understanding you individually than Oxford (from what I've seen) e.g Cambridge interviews a higher proportion of applicants and the Winter Pool is fantastic in making sure nobody good gets away.
    I've always found the Cambridge winter pool a pretty messy system - it means that you can be rejected from a college but placed in the pool and might have to wait days to find out if you've been accepted by another college, sometimes having to go back up to be re-interviewed. Oxford also has a pool to ensure that good applicants don't slip through the net but it's done before/during interviews so applicants can receive a final decision without things hanging in the air and don't have to return to Oxford for more interviews. Also, I liked the fact that when you're interviewed at Oxford you often stay for 2-4 days and have time to experience the city and uni/get settled in, rather than at Cambridge where you literally go up for one day the interview and that's it.

I've never really felt that Oxford is any more 'private' or 'aloof' than Cambridge. The fact that there are lots of quirky little colleges crammed in the centre which tourists can just walk into (within certain times, of course) makes the university seem quite integrated with the rest of the city in general, and we have the Bodleian which is not just a library but basically the heart of the whole city, whilst Cambridge's library is further away and not really a tourist attraction or a part of the city. But those are just my thoughts - everyone has different preferences and this is why it's good to visit the two cities and get a feel of what they're like.

(Neg repped for expressing an opinion???)

ReputationRep:
    I chose Oxford because my UMS weren't good enough for Cambridge, I didn't want the pressure of an A* and because they offered Law with French Law straight up rather than having to apply in your second year (as it turns out I got an offer for straight Law anyway but that was still my reason!)
    I like that Oxford's pooling system happens behind the scenes and after visiting Oxford and Cambridge equally, decided that Oxford suited me better.
    From what I've worked out so far too, the financial support is really amazing at Oxford which is actually very important for an single-parent low income family student haha

I'd have been delighted to go to either but Oxford made me an offer so hey, team Oxford...

ReputationRep:
    What about medicine?? Personally, I prefer Cambridge because my all subjects' exam board are CIE and it gives me a sense of belonging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la-dauphine)
    I've always found the Cambridge winter pool a pretty messy system - it means that you can be rejected from a college but placed in the pool and might have to wait days to find out if you've been accepted by another college, sometimes having to go back up to be re-interviewed. Oxford also has a pool to ensure that good applicants don't slip through the net but it's done before/during interviews so applicants can receive a final decision without things hanging in the air and don't have to return to Oxford for more interviews. Also, I liked the fact that when you're interviewed at Oxford you often stay for 2-4 days and have time to experience the city and uni/get settled in, rather than at Cambridge where you literally go up for one day the interview and that's it.

I've never really felt that Oxford is any more 'private' or 'aloof' than Cambridge. The fact that there are lots of quirky little colleges crammed in the centre which tourists can just walk into (within certain times, of course) makes the university seem quite integrated with the rest of the city in general, and we have the Bodleian which is not just a library but basically the heart of the whole city, whilst Cambridge's library is further away and not really a tourist attraction or a part of the city. But those are just my thoughts - everyone has different preferences and this is why it's good to visit the two cities and get a feel of what they're like.
    See when I was interviewed at Cambridge I was there for two days. I can see the benefits of being there for several days but theres also a downside; if you're unsuccessful it can make the whole 'knowing you'll never go there' a bit hard (from what I've been told, anyway and experiencing Cambridge for two days and knowing I could be rejected). But yes, theres huge pros and cons to each. Although the pool system at Cambridge seems messy, I think pooling before/during interviews doesn't really give the applicant the best chance. At least after interviews, when an applicant is compared to their cohort and has been fully assessed they can be accepted/rejected/pooled rather than pooling on personal statements etc which can be misleading for some applicants. And although reinterview may seem tedious, its really just getting as many opportunities to meet and understand the candidate as possible and, say they weren't on top form in December, January interviews give them a second chance. But I suppose Oxford have an efficient way too. Aah, its too close to call, but yeah, those were my reasons why I picked Cambridge. Oxford is fantastic too, its a marvellous problem to try and solve, torn between the two best universities in the world

ReputationRep:
    I picked Oxford because Cambridge has the significant disadvantage of not actually offering my course (PPE).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogwartian1993)
    Although the pool system at Cambridge seems messy, I think pooling before/during interviews doesn't really give the applicant the best chance. At least after interviews, when an applicant is compared to their cohort and has been fully assessed they can be accepted/rejected/pooled rather than pooling on personal statements etc which can be misleading for some applicants. And although reinterview may seem tedious, its really just getting as many opportunities to meet and understand the candidate as possible and, say they weren't on top form in December, January interviews give them a second chance.
    Oxford does pretty much the same time as Cambridge, minus the agonizing wait. For pre-interview, it's mostly to make sure each college has roughly the same proportion of interviewees: offers (which also makes things logistically easier) - for my faculty (Law), each college can nominate two first-choice candidates per offer, and the other applicants are considered in a gathered field by the entire faculty. If they think you're good enough to be interviewed, you'll be reallocated randomly to another college for interview. Some people also get mandatory second interviews at another college (mostly science subjects). The whole point is that it is not simply a case of each college looking at its own applicants (as it is at Cambridge pre-interview) - there's an awful lot of discussion behind the scenes to make sure good candidates don't get squeezed out because competition at their preference college is exceptionally high.

There is also post-interview pooling - if the tutors think you did well but can't offer you a spot, they will arrange for you to be sent to another college for more interviews. Your tutors can also re-interview you if they're uncertain (I got a third interview and I think it's because I did okay for my first but badly for the second). It's also possible to get an offer from another college without being interviewed by them, but I believe this is less common.

I think Oxford's system is just far simpler - they do all the re-interviewing within the same period and save people the hassle of having to travel back to Oxford subsequently. Personally, I'd rather have a definite decision straight off than be left agonizing for more than 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    Because this

Spoiler:
    Show

will never top this

Spoiler:
    Show

Currently the maths lectures are actually taking place in the pitt rivers museum.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  Oxford-museum_lg.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  37.4 KB.
    Right by the fossil exhibits
    here
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  536511345_c1f0a0e289.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  267.1 KB Name:  13_oxford-museum-interior-6-web.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  115.2 KB Name:  Pitt_Rivers_Museum_skeleton_head.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  184.4 KB

But I guess each to their own

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.