Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chindits)
    When he says it's "nothing special" - he's of course downplaying it because he's anti-Israel.
    Really? Because last I checked the physics and technology behind it are nothing special, they've been around and used for decades. In fact, the exact system has been used for decades, ever heard of a radar guided missile? There ya go, the only difference is that in active radar homing the radar is on the weapon, a technology that has been in use for over 70 years.

The Iron Dome is extremely sophisticated and very few such systems exist. The Iron Dome is the only system to have been tested to the extent this has and has a higher intercept record than all other systems.
    Who else actually has a need for it? And of those, for how many is it worth the expense?
    Singapore also use it, but I don't think it ever gets to see action.

When Israel initially considered producing this system, the Americans told them to forget it as it was too difficult and the results would not be worth it.
    Which is why an American company tried to get the contract to create the system?

Well, it's basically saved hundreds of lives.
    Shame that doesn't stop the taking of thousands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Really? Because last I checked the physics and technology behind it are nothing special, they've been around and used for decades. In fact, the exact system has been used for decades, ever heard of a radar guided missile? There ya go, the only difference is that in active radar homing the radar is on the weapon, a technology that has been in use for over 70 years.
    You're making a fool of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moali125)

So, why should Israel still bomb the homes, hospitals and schools of civilians?
    Bit of a loaded question there. Are you asking why Israel is continuing its offensive?

Well, just because Israel has Iron Dome, does not negate the fact that 'palestinains' are trying to murder as many Israelis as they can. Iron Dome is not a 100% solution and no country would stand for 150 rockets per day being fired into their territory - whether they have a defence system or not.

It got those 4 Israeli lives back... almost fifty-fold. An injustice that certainly does not warrant further aggression from them.

The offensive was not in relation to the three murdered Israeli boys. If was because of the rocket attacks that followed the abduction and murder of the boys.

The rockets from Hamas are flying more than ever, so obviously it isn't doing the job
    Today has seen under 65 rocket so far, about half the usual total.

. In fact, it has become a great opportunity for those opposed towards Israel to rally together and spread their ideals all around the world - which you have faced the grunt of first-hand. And with the actions committed, the disdain is well-deserved by the Israeli government.

It doesn't matter what Israel does, it has traditional enemies that will not approve - so bad press from the usual suspects is par for the course.

Israel certainly gets no credit when they show restraint. Did you hear about the three weeks of rocket attacks on Israel prior to this offensive?

Of course not, because the media didn't report it. The FIRST time the dreadful BBC reported rocket attacks on Israel, was when Israel started retaliating.

Israel spent days sending out warnings to Hamas publicly that they would not stand for rocket attacks. Yet the rockets kept coming.

No one patted Israel on the head for not responding. No one gave a toss about rockets into Israel.

As soon as Israel sends a missile in reply into Gaza, that's when the news wires start buzzing.

This conflict was a cry for help from Palestine - or at least a call for change from their current circumstances. Israel is simply not letting Gaza flourish. Fishing, building materials, food and other goods people need to actually enjoy their lives are hampered by Israel.

Well this wasn't the case in previous years before any blockade and yet the rockets kept coming and the suicide bombers.

As for building materials. When Israel finally agreed to allow building materials in, the 'palestinians' built a tunnel into Israel in order to kill civilians in the nearby Kibbutz with the very cement Israel had given them, used to line the tunnels.

the arteries of any kind of prosperity left in Gaza cut clean by Egypt. So, what should Hamas do? Starve? Accept an ever tighter Israeli vice on their collars and wrists? No.

They should have thought of that before interfering in Egypt and turning the Egyptian leadership against them.

ReputationRep:
    Israel destroyed a hospital in Gaza, at a time when Gazans are in dire need of exactly those institutions, in spite of knowing there were no weapons inside, so their pet excuse for murder can no longer be employed. http://mondoweiss.net/2014/07/milita...-hospital.html

Israel attaches no value to Palestinian life.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You're making a fool of yourself.
    Really? Verifiable facts if you aren't blinded.
    It's a fairly simple system on paper, radar detects missile, feeds information into computer.
    Computer determines likely impact point, if populated area move to next step.
    Work out which battery is most effective.
    Fire missile and track it onto the target.

So, what do you need to make it work?
    RADAR-been in use since the late 30s
    Controllable missiles-been around since WWII
    a computer-been around since the 50s.

Making a fool of myself, am I?

ReputationRep:
    There's feeling sorry for people and there's playing the blame game.

The problem with people like you is that you feel sorry for them, but blame Israel.

When we can see that 'palestinian' behaviour towards Israel and Egypt over the years, has created their problems and made their situation worse.

Most Gazans speak with an Egyptian dialect. One of the most common family names in Gaza is "Al-Masri" - which means "The Egyptian".

Yet even their own brothers have had enough with them.

They should be thankful that despite lobbing 1,400 rockets into their neighbour who provides them with water and fuel, the taps haven't been turned off.

Unlike when Russia turned off the gas to Ukraine.

A good start would be to stop their incessant rocket attacks and recognise Israel.
    Certainly, I do feel sorry for innocent Palestinians because I'm a human, but I haven't blamed only Israel for the outrages situation in Palestine.

Clearly, Hamas has not helped the Palestinian civilians but neither has Israel by responding with militancy and violence. Moreover, the UN has clearly failed to prevent the loss of innocent human lives by not taking any action that would prevent that.

Oh so just because Russia turned off the gas to Ukraine and Israel is still providing water and fuel to Palestine, its okay to allow Israel to bomb Gaza and take innocent lives? Plus, one must consider the state under which those helpless Palestinians are living- deprivation!

ReputationRep:
    Finally a leader who will tell the truth: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/tu...gaza-894371020

Respect to Erdogan, hopefully the rest of the Muslim world will begin to wake up.

ReputationRep:
    Israel's bloodthirsty massacre in Gaza is based on old-fashioned xenophobia and has very little or nothing to do with Hamas: http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/...lm-death-arabs

Judeo-Zionism, like all other blatantly medieaval schools of thought, should have been repressed from the start. We do not need revivalists, we need reformists. Zionists were given freedom to establish themselves well because that suited the imperialist agenda of the colonial powers of the time; now the world is reaping the whirlwind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

So, what do you need to make it work?
    RADAR-been in use since the late 30s
    Controllable missiles-been around since WWII
    a computer-been around since the 50s.

Making a fool of myself, am I?
    Jesus christ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeavyTeddy)
    Finally a leader who will tell the truth: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/tu...gaza-894371020

Respect to Erdogan, hopefully the rest of the Muslim world will begin to wake up.
    The same bloke who has helped to create a blood bath in Syria which has killed 200,000.

Yeah, respect.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ.
    Don't worry your simple mind if you don't understand how big boy toys work, or for that matter, any element of military or civil history.

Oh, I did forget two things, how silly of me:
    Ballistics: something we've understood for centuries
    The ability to extrapolate: well, if there is one thing people are good at it's extrapolation.

ReputationRep:
    The same bloke who has helped to create a blood bath in Syria which has killed 200,000.

Yeah, respect.
    I will report your post and hopefully have it removed because not only is it extremely irrelevant but also painfully illiterate and uneducated.

ReputationRep:

Yeah, respect.
    Erm, how exactly did the Turkish PM do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeavyTeddy)
    Erm, how exactly did the Turkish PM do that?
    Err, by letting the Jihadists train in Turkey and then enter Syria from Turkey perhaps?

It's very well documented.

ReputationRep:
    Err, by letting the Jihadists train in Turkey and then enter Syria from Turkey perhaps?

It's very well documented.
    The main and unrivalled perpetrator of crimes in Syria is Bashar al-Asad and his regime.

But why bother trying to explain that to you? You're a Zionist, you folk have a superb knack for confounding the occupiers with the occupied, so-called terrorists with a legitimate government supposed to be bound by international law. Your distorted view of the world is breathtaking.

ReputationRep:
    lol

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1468443226735604

ReputationRep:
    What is going on in Gaza is not an act of defence against terrorists, it is a BATTLE FOR GAZA. If - God forbid - Gaza falls to the Israelis, Zionists will laud that as a victory and much like the 1967 war will claim that Gaza should rightfully be annexed to the state of Israel.

In the words of the Knesset speaker: http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/...deputy-speaker

1. No value for Gazan life:
    “After the IDF completes the ‘softening’ of the targets with its firepower, the IDF will conquer the entire Gaza, using all the means necessary to minimize any harm to our soldiers, with no other considerations,”
    2. A 21st century Nakba:
    “Gaza is part of our Land and we will remain there forever,” Feiglin concludes. “Subsequent to the elimination of terror from Gaza, it will become part of sovereign Israel and will be populated by Jews. This will also serve to ease the housing crisis in Israel.”

Many similar demands have been made by Israeli politicians, rabbis, and so on, since the start of the IDF operation on Gaza. Thanks for letting us know in such unequivocal terms, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a loaded question there. Are you asking why Israel is continuing its offensive

Well, just because Israel has Iron Dome, does not negate the fact that 'palestinains' are trying to murder as many Israelis as they can. Iron Dome is not a 100% solution and no country would stand for 150 rockets per day being fired into their territory - whether they have a defence system or not.

(Rebuttal in brackets; I don't know how to format my response better. As you have shown in your response to my points - which I greatly appreciate! - the number of rockets are quite arbitrary, but I think they have overall sustained in numbers, if not increased. Hamas state that they have a stockpile of at least 10,000... so another month at least. I don't disagree with your point in self-defense, but the aggression Israel has placed in response is very disproportionate.)

The offensive was not in relation to the three murdered Israeli boys. If was because of the rocket attacks that followed the abduction and murder of the boys.

(Well hundreds of Palestinians were detained as a result of the murder, but ah well. I see the bad in both sides, personally. The lead up to the current situation involved stupid actions on both sides.)

Today has seen under 65 rocket so far, about half the usual total.

(Addressed above - my incompetence doesn't allow a better way to)

It doesn't matter what Israel does, it has traditional enemies that will not approve - so bad press from the usual suspects is par for the course.

Israel certainly gets no credit when they show restraint. Did you hear about the three weeks of rocket attacks on Israel prior to this offensive?

Of course not, because the media didn't report it. The FIRST time the dreadful BBC reported rocket attacks on Israel, was when Israel started retaliating.

Israel spent days sending out warnings to Hamas publicly that they would not stand for rocket attacks. Yet the rockets kept coming.

No one patted Israel on the head for not responding. No one gave a toss about rockets into Israel.

As soon as Israel sends a missile in reply into Gaza, that's when the news wires start buzzing.

(I absolutely agree. Israel's actions are catastrophic in terms of their marketing and PR of wanting to be a country of peaceful co-existence. Palestine appears the outright victim here. I agree with the direction of the media's frenzy to victimise the Israelis but it's certainly not as clear-cut as a lot of them make it out to be. With a situation like this, what most irks me is the apparent difficulty to have a source of news without bias. Both Israel and Palestine's government's actions are in the grey area. Some stories to prove they are not what they seem, here and there, but mainly put on their motives. You would equally not hear of the hundreds of Palestinians captured months before. The media needs big booms and explosions to make that stuff headline.)

Well this wasn't the case in previous years before any blockade and yet the rockets kept coming and the suicide bombers.

(Israel has been fairly consistent with its strangle hold on any Palestinian territory - only handing Gaza over in 2005! Should we mention what I think is more clear sign of Israeli wrongdoing? The settlements in walled-off Palestinian lands, where half a million Israeli citizens occupy space where family farms and villages once stood and have now been bulldozed. Again, both sides have done wrong. I'm not denying that. But, Palestine has a much better claim to land than Israel - in my opinion. Theocracy is dysfunctional in the modern world... and I'm saying that as a proud Iranian. Palestine had always been a land brimming with all religions and culture - Jerusalem is holy to all Abrahamic religions. So, why stuff Jews - from European ascent - into this place with a thousand year old delicate balance? It seems almost colonial to me, except Palestinians have deteriorated rather than reap the 'empire's' benefits. Yes, I know many Jews are of more local descent, but much of them migrated due to the resentment of Arabic states against the occupation of Palestine.)

As for building materials. When Israel finally agreed to allow building materials in, the 'palestinians' built a tunnel into Israel in order to kill civilians in the nearby Kibbutz with the very cement Israel had given them, used to line the tunnels.

(I'll say it for the third time, both parties have done bad things in the past and doubtless will do so in the near-future - at least. My current issue with Israel is their contradictory acts. They bomb housing blocks, schools and hospitals, and then give no passage to the materials to rebuild that. That doesn't sound like self-defense to me. That sounds like crippling a people who simply need help, and not war. What you described to me is terrorism, and I absolutely condemn it - it solves no problems. But, you mustn't forget the struggle the civilians in Gaza endure. They want a normal life and it looks like Israel will never allow that.)

They should have thought of that before interfering in Egypt and turning the Egyptian leadership against them.

(Yes, that was foolish of them. But, given the Egyptian government's anti-Islamist sentiments contrast that of Hamas, I would put the cause more to that. Oh, and the 30 year alliance Egypt and Israel have had.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by well in the dark)
    Israel's bloodthirsty massacre in Gaza is based on old-fashioned xenophobia and has very little or nothing to do with Hamas: http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/...lm-death-arabs

Judeo-Zionism, like all other blatantly medieaval schools of thought, should have been repressed from the start. We do not need revivalists, we need reformists. Zionists were given freedom to establish themselves well because that suited the imperialist agenda of the colonial powers of the time; now the world is reaping the whirlwind.
    :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    :holmes:
    Do you intelligent language?

If you're trying to imply that repression of a cancerous ideology equates to the murder Israel is currently perpetrating, then suffice to say that it doesn't.

Hitler should have been put down and European Jews would have gone on living in Europe, effectively the only home they knew; they did not have to be strategically stationed in the middle of the Arabs they so loathe; not only that but on land rightfully belonging to Arabs, purged of Arabs for their benefit.

That was done for purely selfish reasons, and facilitated the rise of Zionism, which is the cause of so much disquiet today.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.