Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer!! AAB including Economics with an A in A-Level maths for Economics BSc. So happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional!! Received it about 2 minutes ago!! For English and Drama. woop!! 3 out of 5 offers. Still waiting on the last 2.

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer AAB for CompSci
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    I grew up in Bristol and now I'm at Manchester (feel free to ask me anything about Bristol as a city - tis a lovely place). Nightlife in Bristol is good - you won't get bored - but there is an awful lot more to choose from in Manchester tbh

Have you had a look at course modules? They're the most important thing to look at - if you don't like what you're studying, you won't enjoy yourself regardless of how good the nightlife is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh wow, how we love you on this thread I have taken a look at the courses and I think that Manchester is better only because they have more modules all the way through whereas Bristol seem to do all the easy stuff then get harder each year, so the modules they start with are more concentrated. However I haven't been to Bristol so I need to do that.

I really like Manchester though, so I don't know anymore. Then I've still gotta wait on UCL...meh.

where else did you apply?-and why did you choose Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    Need some advice, I received my offer today (AAB, Economics BSc) and Manchester is my first choice. I also have an offer from my insurance (Westminster, BBC, Finance with Management BSc). My other three are Queen Mary (got an offer: AAB, Economics BSc), Royal Holloway (no offer yet, AAB, Economics) and Surrey (no offer yet, AAB, Economics). I personally think that I need to insure Westminster as it's my only choice with lower grades.

I read on here today that the application for accommodation is open, and I'm quite concerned about securing a good place (for accommodation) as it's first come first served.

I'm positive that Manchester is my first choice and as I said, I think I need to insure Westminster.

Because of this would I better offer withdrawing my application to Royal Holloway and Surrey and then firming Manchester and insuring Westminster immediately?

Thanks for any advice,

Dan

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    YAY, Finally the first offer from Manchester !
    But the offer I got is higher than what they say on their website (AAA instead of AAB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danlocke)
    Need some advice, I received my offer today (AAB, Economics BSc) and Manchester is my first choice. I also have an offer from my insurance (Westminster, BBC, Finance with Management BSc). My other three are Queen Mary (got an offer: AAB, Economics BSc), Royal Holloway (no offer yet, AAB, Economics) and Surrey (no offer yet, AAB, Economics). I personally think that I need to insure Westminster as it's my only choice with lower grades.

I read on here today that the application for accommodation is open, and I'm quite concerned about securing a good place (for accommodation) as it's first come first served.

I'm positive that Manchester is my first choice and as I said, I think I need to insure Westminster.

Because of this would I better offer withdrawing my application to Royal Holloway and Surrey and then firming Manchester and insuring Westminster immediately?

Thanks for any advice,

Dan

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Read on a little bit more and you'll see it was a mistake and accomodation applications aren't open yet. Read even further and you'll find that you don't have to firm Manchester to make an accomodation application as they only offer it to you after your A-level exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanover)
    YAY, Finally the first offer from Manchester !
    But the offer I got is higher than what they say on their website (AAA instead of AAB)
    Congrats on your offer! But aww what subject??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsJustMe17)
    Congrats on your offer! But aww what subject??
    I applied for Economics and Finance, it says AAB on their website, which is equal to 1.5 in Germany. But now they ask me to get 1.3 (AAA equivalent) that I probably won't achieve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlyHigh_er)
    Oh wow, how we love you on this thread I have taken a look at the courses and I think that Manchester is better only because they have more modules all the way through whereas Bristol seem to do all the easy stuff then get harder each year, so the modules they start with are more concentrated. However I haven't been to Bristol so I need to do that.

I really like Manchester though, so I don't know anymore. Then I've still gotta wait on UCL...meh.

where else did you apply?-and why did you choose Manchester?
    :love:

If you prefer the course structure at Manchester, then it's a pretty good reason to choose Manchester, but tbh there's no need to rush things - you've got months before you need to decide anyway.

I applied to Leeds, Birmingham, Loughborough and Leicester. I chose Manchester for several reasons - the course structure was uniquely flexible, it's in a big city with lots to do, there was a fairly niche society that I wanted to get involved with (which then disappeared before I arrived :facepalm:), and when I went to the open day it just felt right - there's a lot to be said for going with your gut feeling, and I can't see myself having been happier anywhere else.

(Original post by danlocke)

Thanks for any advice,

Dan

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A few points
    - accommodation applications aren't actually open yet (there was a bit of confusion about that one)
    - you can apply for accommodation and so get your place in the queue even before you've firmed or insured - you just need to have received an offer
    - though it is first come first served, you're still guaranteed a place in halls if you apply before August 31st
    - there are no halls that are so dreadful your life would be over if you were to get put there (and even if you did end up in a hall you didn't like, you can apply to move from 1st October i.e. two weeks after you move in
    - there's no point insuring Westminster if you wouldn't be happy to go there. If you don't mind the risk of a gap year, you might like to consider insuring RHUL - last year they had an absolute bloodbath on results day, and ended up accepting people with AAB and ABB offers who got BBC for just about every course except psychology. These things do change year to year, so there's no guarantee that the same thing would happen again, but it's an option worth considering if you don't really want to go to Westminster.

In short, don't worry about accommodation, wait until you've got all your replies, and consider your insurance option carefully.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Economics and Finance, it says AAB on their website, which is equal to 1.5 in Germany. But now they ask me to get 1.3 (AAA equivalent) that I probably won't achieve.
    Aww don't sell yourself short! Im sure you can! I applied for birmingham which is AAA, realistically aiming for AAB but you never know! Is/was manchester going to be your firm?

ReputationRep:
    Offer for Law with Politics LLB! AAB woop

ReputationRep:
    Aww don't sell yourself short! Im sure you can! I applied for birmingham which is AAA, realistically aiming for AAB but you never know! Is/was manchester going to be your firm?
    Yes, it's supposed to be my firm, but I'm not really sure anymore.
    I think I may have to wait for York and Lancaster, their international requirements are slightly slower than Manchester, don't ask me why :O
    How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's supposed to be my firm, but I'm not really sure anymore.
    I think I may have to wait for York and Lancaster, their international requirements are slightly slower than Manchester, don't ask me why :O
    How about you?
    Oooh okay Aww we could have ended up at the same uni haha Hmm i dont know yet, if I get an offer from Birmingham its between them, Manchester and Leicester for my firm (need to visit them all first haha). What made you want to study in the UK if you dont mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    Oooh okay Aww we could have ended up at the same uni haha Hmm i dont know yet, if I get an offer from Birmingham its between them, Manchester and Leicester for my firm (need to visit them all first haha). What made you want to study in the UK if you dont mind me asking
    That would be great
    I just started to regret my choices cause all of them are AAA-AAB Unis >:/

Anyway, I want to study in the UK because I like the country so much and of course British people!! Besides, I want to get out of Germany as soon as I've finished school to experience something different ^^

ReputationRep:
    That would be great
    I just started to regret my choices cause all of them are AAA-AAB Unis >:/

Anyway, I want to study in the UK because I like the country so much and of course British people!! Besides, I want to get out of Germany as soon as I've finished school to experience something different ^^
    Yeah same here :/ but for Law there arent many good unis that do lower than AAB anyway...apart from liverpool (ABB) which I applied for. Woo! it great you love the Uk, we are pretty cool haha:cool:.Any offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same here :/ but for Law there arent many good unis that do lower than AAB anyway...apart from liverpool (ABB) which I applied for. Woo! it great you love the Uk, we are pretty cool haha:cool:.Any offers yet?
    The only thing I still don't get is the British accent It's so fancy and flat that I really have to struggle to understand I'm more familiar with American English ^^

As I've just said, my first conditional offer is from Manchester
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    :love:

If you prefer the course structure at Manchester, then it's a pretty good reason to choose Manchester, but tbh there's no need to rush things - you've got months before you need to decide anyway.

I applied to Leeds, Birmingham, Loughborough and Leicester. I chose Manchester for several reasons - the course structure was uniquely flexible, it's in a big city with lots to do, there was a fairly niche society that I wanted to get involved with (which then disappeared before I arrived :facepalm:), and when I went to the open day it just felt right - there's a lot to be said for going with your gut feeling, and I can't see myself having been happier anywhere else.
    In my head, I've sort of decided that I'm firming Manchester, but I'm trying to keep an open mind so that when I go to Bristol I don't dislike it unintentionally lol. haha about the society I felt like it felt right at Manchester but then again I haven't been anywhere else so...

I'll see

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I still don't get is the British accent It's so fancy and flat that I really have to struggle to understand I'm more familiar with American English ^^

As I've just said, my first conditional offer is from Manchester
    Haha really? just sounds normal to me (obviously lol). Mine isnt that fancy i dont think, or not as posh as the queens anyway! And sorry lol just realised tht!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlyHigh_er)
    In my head, I've sort of decided that I'm firming Manchester, but I'm trying to keep an open mind so that when I go to Bristol I don't dislike it unintentionally lol. haha about the society I felt like it felt right at Manchester but then again I haven't been anywhere else so...

I'll see
    Yep, keeping an open mind sounds like the best plan of action

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.