Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be cynical.... 31st at 5.55pm!

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Sooner rather than later I hope so I'll be optimistic - Wednesday 29th @ 2PM!

BUT no news is good news I guess - if no one has heard yet, then that means I'm not Amber Banded (or booted out!!) yet!

ReputationRep:
    Anything earlier than Christmas Eve Eve for an E Tray result would be wonderfully better than last year! Unless it's a rejection....

My bet for the first narrowing of the bands would be this Thursday at 3:30pm

ReputationRep:
    Last year, I think I did the e-tray on the 9th or 10th of November, and was invited to FSAC just after 5pm on the 14th November.

ReputationRep:
    If i got rejected after the application form for the social research stream, can I apply in the second round?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luccy.)
    If i got rejected after the application form for the social research stream, can I apply in the second round?
    Hi,

No it's an either/or thing, you can only apply once per application year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum although unfortunately not new to this process.

I got to assessment centre stage in 2010/11 fast stream and got a 'near miss', judging by what other successful candidates said they scored I missed by about 0.5 of a mark

So I'm back again, a few years older and hopefully wiser. I am applying for the GFS - Diplomatic Service. I have so far had an immediately successful pass on the online tests and, like many of you are, I'm now patiently (ish) awaiting my etray results. I can't judge how it went, although the written section went well I think...only a pitty that doesn't count unless I pass the etray.

I am an existing civil servant - serving for almost 7 years! Slowly climbing the greasy ladder. I have worked in HMRC, FCO and I'm currently in DFID. My heart lies with diplomacy so that's why I'm back here. Very few other routes in nowadays The reason I give all this info is so if anyone has any questions about the job, I'm happy to help. I know the ropes as a CC and I know the fast stream very well.

Good luck to all who are checking their emails, like me, more often than usual with bated breathe!

K. x

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can see, this is an entirely new route into the Civil Service and at a similar level to the Fast Stream. Posting it here in case anyone is interested:

http://www.hmtreasurycareers.com/graduates.aspx

Applications open on 3rd November.

ReputationRep:
    [material removed]

I thought I should also share that I know someone who started the diplomatic service stream this year and he said when you evaluate the backgrounds of the people that get in, there is clear favoritism for people from top ranking universities, former civil servants and men over women for the diplomatic service. He said the stream is over subscribed because people like the idea of working abroad and the image of that lifestyle but that department recruit the smallest amount of people because there is really not a strong demand/need for graduates. He advised me to apply for central departments as my first choice, so I did lol out of fear.

Just an insight for grads wanting to be diplomats.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to take the e-tray in the next few days, unsure as how best to prepare. Does anyone know if there are any practice ones out there to do?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    After today's AC disaster, I need to get my head in gear for the ORAC :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaroldWinter)
    I completed the ETRAY two days ago for the Generalist Fast Stream. I thought the emails were fine but the questions for the mini-essay at the end was a challenge. [EDIT - Removed specific questions]

I thought I should also share that I know someone who started the diplomatic service stream this year and he said when you evaluate the backgrounds of the people that get in, there is clear favoritism for people from top ranking universities, former civil servants and men over women for the diplomatic service. He said the stream is over subscribed because people like the idea of working abroad and the image of that lifestyle but that department recruit the smallest amount of people because there is really not a strong demand/need for graduates. He advised me to apply for central departments as my first choice, so I did lol out of fear.

Just an insight for grads wanting to be diplomats.

Yeah I completely agree. The written exercise was, in my opinion, poorly formulated. The questions did not lend themselves to the information and situation provided. Maybe others will disagree but I genuinely did not know where to go with the answers and found it a real struggle to complete.

I've applied for the Diplomatic Scheme. That's disappointing to hear that there seems to be such issues. Can I ask - did your friend mention what is the situation like in regards to promotion to G7 and beyond for fast streamers given that there is no strong demand for graduates? and what it's like in general to work in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thirteen)
    Hi all,

I got to assessment centre stage in 2010/11 fast stream and got a 'near miss', judging by what other successful candidates said they scored I missed by about 0.5 of a mark

So I'm back again, a few years older and hopefully wiser. I am applying for the GFS - Diplomatic Service. I have so far had an immediately successful pass on the online tests and, like many of you are, I'm now patiently (ish) awaiting my etray results. I can't judge how it went, although the written section went well I think...only a pitty that doesn't count unless I pass the etray.

I am an existing civil servant - serving for almost 7 years! Slowly climbing the greasy ladder. I have worked in HMRC, FCO and I'm currently in DFID. My heart lies with diplomacy so that's why I'm back here. Very few other routes in nowadays The reason I give all this info is so if anyone has any questions about the job, I'm happy to help. I know the ropes as a CC and I know the fast stream very well.

Good luck to all who are checking their emails, like me, more often than usual with bated breathe!

K. x
    What's your experience of the prospects in terms of good posts and promotion on the GFS - Diplomatic Service?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E.Marie)
    I'm going to take the e-tray in the next few days, unsure as how best to prepare. Does anyone know if there are any practice ones out there to do?
    The practice one on the candidate website is pretty close to the real one, so it gives a good idea!

As suggested before, I reckon the best way to practice is to get your brain used to digesting lots of info quickly. Some have suggested doing practice verbal and numerical tests.. My approach was to focus on my attention span as it's terrible!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thirteen)
    Hi all,

K. x
    That's really nice of you to stop by here Wishing you the best of luck for e-tray!

May I ask how you got into your current role and what your progression has been like..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat.lev)
    Please keep in mind that many people have not yet done their e-tray before posting things like this.........
    We could post the whole written exercise up here and it still wouldn't make sense.:banghead:

ReputationRep:
    e-Tray - Awaiting Results - Results Progress

:poke: Hurry up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    We could post the whole written exercise up here and it still wouldn't make sense.:banghead:
    While that's almost certainly true (!), it seems unfair to post specifics and offer advantage and prior knowledge to those who haven't yet done it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    e-Tray Awaiting Results Results Progress

:poke: Hurry up!
    Today is not the day, comrade!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat.lev)
    While that's almost certainly true (!), it seems unfair to post specifics and offer advantage and prior knowledge to those who haven't yet done it..
    True, true - you're right of course.

It probably would be better if you could edit your post Harold Winter and remove the specifics for fairness to all.

Just describe the written exercise as incongruous balderdash.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.