Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evekip)
    Quick question, can anybody think of anymore stationery I might need, including stuff to help with revision? The mother has said I can get some stuff off Tesco groceries, but I have no idea what to buy haha, I'm used to either just finding stuff from around the house or going for whatever's cutest in Paperchase. :P

So yeah, any extra stuff I should get? I already have basics like pens, pencils, a calculator and a geometry set, and I've added some pritt sticks and folders to the basket.
    Some highlighters, note cards, maybe colourful pens/pencils/markers...maybe some sticky labels for your folders? Things to make your notes stick out/more noticeable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Its_Tito)
    Some highlighters, note cards, maybe colourful pens/pencils/markers...maybe some sticky labels for your folders? Things to make your notes stick out/more noticeable.
    Thanks, I forgot about highlighters and stuff. :P And triplus fineliners are £4 so I went for it, is it sad that I've always wanted some of those? *sob*

Guys, I know this is thestudentroom and we're all education junkies...but who's excited for the relaxing/fun part of year 11? 'Sweet 16' parties, Prom, end of exams, last day, prepping for sixth form? Having more responsibility, so on and so on...I am anyway!
    Somebody said it! I'm mostly just excited to finish haha, so excited for prom as well! How early is too early to start looking for dresses? I've already started the hunt online but I'm torn between going for a short dress which would suit me better I guess (I'm tiny, 4'10") or a long one, which my heart is saying since I won't get many other opportunities, but I'm concerned it would swamp me. Sorry I shouldn't get on the subject of prom or I'll just go on for ages... :P

And my parents have said they'll try and book their holiday for next year on the week of results day again, so house party should be fun that night haha!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Guys, I know this is thestudentroom and we're all education junkies...but who's excited for the relaxing/fun part of year 11? 'Sweet 16' parties, Prom, end of exams, last day, prepping for sixth form? Having more responsibility, so on and so on...I am anyway!
    They aren't necessarily "fun"

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I forgot about highlighters and stuff. :P And triplus fineliners are £4 so I went for it, is it sad that I've always wanted some of those? *sob*
    Nope, highlighters and fineliners are the best part of school! ;')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    I guess not, but I always do best when I have more responsibility and when I always have work to do...a bit backwards but hey :')
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I guess not, but I always do best when I have more responsibility and when I always have work to do...a bit backwards but hey :')
    To be honest you could of had that responsibility years ago. You don't have to rely on your teachers just because they're there :teehee: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    To be honest you could of had that responsibility years ago. You don't have to rely on your teachers just because they're there :teehee: :yep:
    I do already, I tend not to ask for help if I know I'll get it in a few more tries...but sometimes it irritates me when my teachers are always on my back to be independent, but also say we should ask for help and use assistance...I won't get that in HE so no point getting it all now? My opinion, I don't know :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    Speaking of that sort of thing, is anybody here a prefect or anything like that? I've never seen the attraction of it myself especially in the two years of high school when you're under pressure anyway... Is this just me? I'd say the people who are prefects in our year are split 50:50 between people who take it way too seriously and people who don't particularly care at all. :P

I just don't really see the point in doing it I guess, especially if you're going to be one of the super strict types who won't let year 7's go the toilet if they're in the wrong building. :-(

Nope, highlighters and fineliners are the best part of school! ;')
    I'm glad! :P I've just been using a pink/blue 2 colour clicky bic pen before so idk I'm stoked to get a proper set of fineliners? x)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Speaking of that sort of thing, is anybody here a prefect or anything like that? I've never seen the attraction of it myself especially in the two years of high school when you're under pressure anyway... Is this just me? I'd say the people who are prefects in our year are split 50:50 between people who take it way too seriously and people who don't particularly care at all. :P

I just don't really see the point in doing it I guess, especially if you're going to be one of the super strict types who won't let year 7's go the toilet if they're in the wrong building. :-(
    Our school elects prefects at the end of Y10 so hopefully I will be nominated
    I don't see any pressure with being a prefect as you're just an example to what the other students should look up to. :yep:

ReputationRep:

I'm glad! :P I've just been using a pink/blue 2 colour clicky bic pen before so idk I'm stoked to get a proper set of fineliners? x)
    I might want to be a prefect, they get privileges as well as having to 'control' younger years :') and I love them, it makes notes fun...if you could go that far haha

ReputationRep:
    When does everyone go back to school (sorry if this questions already been asked :P ).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    Our school elects prefects at the end of Y10 so hopefully I will be nominated
    I don't see any pressure with being a prefect as you're just an example to what the other students should look up to. :yep:
    At my school you have to do door duty which is basically just standing by a door all lunch/break and enforcing weird rules about walking the right way and only being allowed to eat and go the toilet in certain buildings according to what house you're in, plus helping out at open evenings and such. I could get along with being one if you just had to do what you normally did but with a shiny badge haha!

I might want to be a prefect, they get privileges as well as having to 'control' younger years :') and I love them, it makes notes fun...if you could go that far haha
    Is it just my school where people start being prefects in the middle of Year 9 then haha? What sort of privileges do you get too? There isn't any to my knowledge at our school apart from a meal near the end of Year 11 and a different tie... :s

I suppose having control over the really cocky younger kids would be fun haha, I'm shorter than a lot of them though so I'd probably be trampled all over by them. One of my friends, on the other hand, is about 6 foot tall and he takes great pleasure in terrifying 12 year olds...

I guess prefecting just isn't for me hahaha, I just wondered since there's some people in my year who are quite obsessive over it and I wondered why :P

Oh and I go back properly on the 4th, only a week left of holiday. D:

ReputationRep:
    Woo hoo! Someone else who goes back on Thursday! Everyone I know goes back on Monday/Tuesday, but I'm in Paris util Wednesday.

I would look forward to this year if I wasn't entering it as "The Loner" xD More excited for sixth form and "being legal"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it just my school where people start being prefects in the middle of Year 9 then haha? What sort of privileges do you get too? There isn't any to my knowledge at our school apart from a meal near the end of Year 11 and a different tie... :s

I suppose having control over the really cocky younger kids would be fun haha, I'm shorter than a lot of them though so I'd probably be trampled all over by them. One of my friends, on the other hand, is about 6 foot tall and he takes great pleasure in terrifying 12 year olds...

I guess prefecting just isn't for me hahaha, I just wondered since there's some people in my year who are quite obsessive over it and I wondered why :P

Oh and I go back properly on the 4th, only a week left of holiday. D:
    We are allowed to be a prefect from year 10 but most people see that as a punishment because of the tasks, the sixth form ones get the priviledges :') and our year 10-11 prefects get a gold thread band around the edge of their blazer because we don't wear ties (a girls' school).

Yeah, there are some younger ones I would love to have control over too :') and yeah, some teachers look at you differently if you're a prefect and choose you to do special tasks because you're a prefect....it depends on the school really

ReputationRep:
    - Introduce yourself!
    - What subjects are you taking?
    - What are you hoping to do after finishing Year 11?
    - What are your hobbies and interests?
    - How do you feel about going into Year 11?[/expand]

Hey! I'm Bes

I'm taking GCSEs in Maths, English Language, English Literature, Triple Science, Geography, Spanish and Art (just because they wouldn't let me take French, the meanies :/)

After year 11, I want to take A Levels. (I'm so excited about not having to do science anymore, it's unreal!)

I want to take
    * Spanish ♡
    * English Literature
    * Further Maths
    * Business/Economics/Classical Civilisation
    * GCSE Latin as an extra

I have the option to attend two sixth forms at the same time, so hopefully I will be able to get all of my first choices.

After A Levels, I want to study International Business and Modern Languages (Spanish & French/German) at Newcastle, Strathclyde or Essex. (They let you do two languages with one from scratch, yay!)

My hobbies are reading (I read too much!), dancing, making flash cards and then never actually using them, trying to read spanish books, swimming and spending way too much time on the internet. I'm really interested in different cultural societies and I want to live abroad one day.

I'm actually really looking forward to starting year 11. I've had a rough four years up until this point, and I've had a few small bouts of depression and anxiety, so being able to walk into the school on the first of September for the last time and be able to say that I have only nine months left at this school before study leave is a really welcome thought. The only subject that is concerning me somewhat at the moment is science, because I really don't know how we're going to have time study two entire courses (additional and further) and have them revised well enough to take the exams in just nine months, but I'm getting my revision materials ready already so I'm quietly confident.

Getting an A* in core science and all of my English coursework has really boosted my confidence

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    YAY PROM! YAY SIXTH FORM! I'm really really excited!

I think my mum is sick of hearing about the sixth forms that I am going to be applying to, aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavishLinguist)
    - Introduce yourself!
    - What subjects are you taking?
    - What are you hoping to do after finishing Year 11?
    - What are your hobbies and interests?
    - How do you feel about going into Year 11?[/expand]

Hey! I'm Bes

I'm taking GCSEs in Maths, English Language, English Literature, Triple Science, Geography, Spanish and Art (just because they wouldn't let me take French, the meanies :/)

After year 11, I want to take A Levels. (I'm so excited about not having to do science anymore, it's unreal!)

I want to take
    * Spanish
    * English Literature
    * Further Maths
    * Business/Economics/Classical Civilisation
    * GCSE Latin as an extra

I have the option to attend two sixth forms at the same time, so hopefully I will be able to get all of my first choices.

After A Levels, I want to study International Business and Modern Languages (Spanish & French/German) at Newcastle, Strathclyde or Essex. (They let you do two languages with one from scratch, yay!)

My hobbies are reading (I read too much!), dancing, making flash cards and then never actually using them, trying to read spanish books, swimming and spending way too much time on the internet. I'm really interested in different cultural societies and I want to live abroad one day.

I'm actually really looking forward to starting year 11. I've had a rough four years up until this point, and I've had a few small bouts of depression and anxiety, so being able to walk into the school on the first of September for the last time and be able to say that I have only nine months left at this school before study leave is a really welcome thought. The only subject that is concerning me somewhat at the moment is science, because I really don't know how we're going to have time study two entire courses (additional and further) and have them revised well enough to take the exams in just nine months, but I'm getting my revision materials ready already so I'm quietly confident.

Getting an A* in core science and all of my English coursework has really boosted my confidence

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    YAY PROM! YAY SIXTH FORM! I'm really really excited!

I think my mum is sick of hearing about the sixth forms that I am going to be applying to, aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha my mum isn't, I'm just staying on because my school's pretty good :') I actually can't wait! My mum's letting me go full out, limo and all that if I want with some friends.

I know some people think it's a waste of money when you're 16, but it's one of the milestones we have and possibly the last time with close mates so why not!

ReputationRep:
    Haha my mum isn't, I'm just staying on because my school's pretty good :') I actually can't wait! My mum's letting me go full out, limo and all that if I want with some friends.

I know some people think it's a waste of money when you're 16, but it's one of the milestones we have and possibly the last time with close mates so why not!
    My school doesn't have one (thankfully), so my parents have given me the choice, and I'm kind of obsessed with talking about it :P

You should definitely go full out for your birthday! You only get so many special occasions in your life to celebrate, especially milestones, so do it!

Personally, my extended family and I are just going to go out to an Italian restaurant together to celebrate my 16th birthday, but that's because it's what I wanted to do, as it's the only time that we ever really all get together. I think we're going on holiday next summer as a belated-birthday-post-gcse type celebration too, but that doesn't really count!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My school doesn't have one (thankfully), so my parents have given me the choice, and I'm kind of obsessed with talking about it :P

You should definitely go full out for your birthday! You only get so many special occasions in your life to celebrate, especially milestones, so do it!

Personally, my extended family and I are just going to go out to an Italian restaurant together to celebrate my 16th birthday, but that's because it's what I wanted to do, as it's the only time that we ever really all get together. I think we're going on holiday next summer as a belated-birthday-post-gcse type celebration too, but that doesn't really count!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oohh awesome! I would do a party, but I don't think I would know enough people to invite so I might just do a dinner with some friends or something...my birthday's in April so right in the middle of intense revision season :')

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.