Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renren95)
    DONT GIVE UP!!!!! Seriously, you can do it!!! I have been applying for care home jobs and hospital jobs since the end of March/start of April and it's only now that I've caught a break!! Just keep on trying, look on www.carehome.co.uk for jobs in your area, they add new jobs all the time!! Look for activity coordinator jobs at the care home too!! I uploaded my cv and sent it off the every single job on there, most of them (like 99%) I have had no reply or have been unsuccessful, but you need to keep on applying and searching for that one job that will take you with no experience and no NVQ!! You've got this!! Keep smiling and keep trying, somewhere will take you on!!
    Thank you! I spoke to my Mum about this after posting in this thread yesterday and that along with yours and other responses has made me see things clearly. I've just got to be focused and forget about what could go wrong/how long it will take/how difficult the application process will be and remember what I'm doing all this for - to become a doctor. I'm back at it today and chasing up all of the places that haven't got back to me in the last couple of weeks as well as making new enquiries re work experience and getting back to my GAMSAT revision.
    Thank you so much for your positive words!

(Original post by M150)
    Heya,

I know it seems hard but don't forget that although it's helpful to have care home experience, it's not essential. They want to see you work well with people and you need to have examples to back up skills you already have. Get a Disclosure Scotland done (you don't have to live in Scotland) so you have evidence of a recent basic criminal records check and see what else is around. I taught science to children from deprived backgrounds (see if any childcare places are recruiting for summer clubs if paid work is essential), and volunteered as a dog walker but even working in a supermarket involves working with people and pays. Insight into the NHS is helpful but it doesn't have to be a clinical role, admin work might still be valuable and would pay. You have over a year before you would leave so that shouldn't be a problem with say a Band 4 job but a temp agency might be handy to get you in place faster.

I was completely honest as to why I didn't have any HCA experience and said that I couldn't afford to which was perfectly fine at interview. Keep trying, it's not too late yet!
    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind - any experience is good experience I guess! Actually, I was wondering for quite a while as to whether to include something in my PS - I'm a qualified Hair Stylist. I qualified after my degree alongside my job just because I wanted to learn something new, meet new people and open up self-employment opportunities to boost my income. Not sure whether that would be relevant in my PS or whether they'd see it as not very academic and detracting from my degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamphilpot)
    Hi guys

just a quick one about work experience. Do I need to show substantial work experience that has been completed prior to 15th October, so in my PS or can it be ongoing and as long as you have done it by the interview?

Relating more to the 70hrs min for Warwick rather than other places.
    For Warwick last year I believe you had until the submission date for the work experience form in late December. There' nothing expressly saying this but the wording below suggests you have until submission of evidence and not just until October 15th.

Prob best calling to confirm though.

This is from the guidance for LAST YEAR (so I can't guarantee this will be the case again):
    "I have not yet completed 70 hours work experience but I will be able to do so by the time of the Selection Centre. Shall I fill in the form, putting the dates of my intended work experience?

No. Less than 70 hours is insufficient for us to make an informed decision. If you have completed less than 70h work experience it would be best to contact us to discuss your individual situation."

"Not yet" suggests "yet" is by late December (when this guidance was published alongside the evidence forms), not just October.

Again, best not relying on this though until Warwick officially confirms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Thank you! I spoke to my Mum about this after posting in this thread yesterday and that along with yours and other responses has made me see things clearly. I've just got to be focused and forget about what could go wrong/how long it will take/how difficult the application process will be and remember what I'm doing all this for - to become a doctor. I'm back at it today and chasing up all of the places that haven't got back to me in the last couple of weeks as well as making new enquiries re work experience and getting back to my GAMSAT revision.
    Thank you so much for your positive words!

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind - any experience is good experience I guess! Actually, I was wondering for quite a while as to whether to include something in my PS - I'm a qualified Hair Stylist. I qualified after my degree alongside my job just because I wanted to learn something new, meet new people and open up self-employment opportunities to boost my income. Not sure whether that would be relevant in my PS or whether they'd see it as not very academic and detracting from my degree?

I did a masters this year, even though medicine was what I wanted all along. It was a research masters as I was keen to explore alternatives to medicine, in case things didn't work out with the medicine application. I found myself so miserable throughout, though. It just didn't motivate me, as I knew medicine was what I really wanted. You may have similar feelings if you pursued physio, and 3 years is a lot more difficult than 1.
    It's good you're feeling better about the application, and chasing places is so frustrating, but keep at it as this clearly means a lot to you. Have you tried contacting care homes etc. about bank work, even if they're not advertising for positions? I found my job in this way, and the bank has given me lots of hours.

With regard to hairdressing, what do you feel you've gained from it that would be good for a personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Going_To_California)
    I did a masters this year, even though medicine was what I wanted all along. It was a research masters as I was keen to explore alternatives to medicine, in case things didn't work out with the medicine application. I found myself so miserable throughout, though. It just didn't motivate me, as I knew medicine was what I really wanted. You may have similar feelings if you pursued physio, and 3 years is a lot more difficult than 1.
    It's good you're feeling better about the application, and chasing places is so frustrating, but keep at it as this clearly means a lot to you. Have you tried contacting care homes etc. about bank work, even if they're not advertising for positions? I found my job in this way, and the bank has given me lots of hours.

With regard to hairdressing, what do you feel you've gained from it that would be good for a personal statement?
    Yes, that was one of my main concerns regarding pursuing Physio or another AHP role - I wasn't sure that I could motivate myself through it for 3 years knowing that it wasn't what I really wanted. Did you ring up care homes for bank work? I'm having a tough time getting into care homes at the moment but that is a good idea - I'll try it out, thanks.

As for Hairdressing - you meet a variety of people from children to pensioners from all walks of life and you get to speak to them on a one-to-one basis - people tell you all sorts about themselves without you even having to prompt them when you're a hairdresser. It's probably similar to bar work in that regard - for an hour or two you become a listening ear. Maybe it's because they trust you with sharp implements near their head, they also trust you with their personal problems. So you learn tact, I guess, and how to respond to unexpected personal information!

It's different from any other service role I've worked in because clients place a huge amount of trust in you when you have a pair of scissors or clippers in your hands and you learn to trust your own abilities with such tools and develop a new kind of confidence. Aside from the practical side of it - you have to learn basic biology regarding skin and hair structure and diseases in order to qualify.

So there's a strong need for good interpersonal skills (business literally hinges on it), interest in biology and confidence. Plus you need good hand-to-eye co-ordination/dexterity, creativity and a willingness to do the dirty jobs and the end of the day such as clean the sinks and mop the floor. I'm just not sure if med schools would want to know about it - or if they'd rather I talk more about care related work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that was one of my main concerns regarding pursuing Physio or another AHP role - I wasn't sure that I could motivate myself through it for 3 years knowing that it wasn't what I really wanted. Did you ring up care homes for bank work? I'm having a tough time getting into care homes at the moment but that is a good idea - I'll try it out, thanks.

As for Hairdressing - you meet a variety of people from children to pensioners from all walks of life and you get to speak to them on a one-to-one basis - people tell you all sorts about themselves without you even having to prompt them when you're a hairdresser. It's probably similar to bar work in that regard - for an hour or two you become a listening ear. Maybe it's because they trust you with sharp implements near their head, they also trust you with their personal problems. So you learn tact, I guess, and how to respond to unexpected personal information!

It's different from any other service role I've worked in because clients place a huge amount of trust in you when you have a pair of scissors or clippers in your hands and you learn to trust your own abilities with such tools and develop a new kind of confidence. Aside from the practical side of it - you have to learn basic biology regarding skin and hair structure and diseases in order to qualify.

So there's a strong need for good interpersonal skills (business literally hinges on it), interest in biology and confidence. Plus you need good hand-to-eye co-ordination/dexterity, creativity and a willingness to do the dirty jobs and the end of the day such as clean the sinks and mop the floor. I'm just not sure if med schools would want to know about it - or if they'd rather I talk more about care related work experience.
    My friend, a nursing student, had picked up a bank job in a local group of homes, so I called the one she was based at and they took me on with no real experience or qualifications, so it's definitely worth a try!

Your experience sounds pretty good and I think would be a valuable addition to a statement, certainly different from the usual things! With all experience, it's what you've learned from it that matters, so don't worry about it not being clinical

ReputationRep:

I also found work relatively easily with a care agency that do home to home care. You don't need a car or any prior experience. There's usually a few of these sorts of agencies in any one area so have a look for these.

If you keep searching you'll find something soon, don't give up!

ReputationRep:
    There are no bursaries for the 5 year course, only a maintenance loan. You could apply to charities etc., but the funding they could offer is nowhere near the region of £36k. I got an alternative offer from King's, having applied for the GEM course, for the 5 year course, so I explored some of the funding on offer, but it is pretty minimal unfortunately.
    oh right so in order to receive a bursary, we must only apply to the 4 year course, and on the first year we have to pay half of the tuition fees right, and the rest of the 3 years the NHS bursary covers it? sorry about all these questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princess271)
    oh right so in order to receive a bursary, we must only apply to the 4 year course, and on the first year we have to pay half of the tuition fees right, and the rest of the 3 years the NHS bursary covers it? sorry about all these questions.
    No worries
    In the first year, you get a maintenance loan from student finance (the amount depends on your parental income), but everyone is entitled to some. You have to fund the first £3465 towards your tuition fees and you can get a tuition fee loan for the rest. In years 2-4, the maintenance loan you can get is reduced, but you can get an NHS bursary. The NHS also covers the first £3465 of fees, and again you can get a tuition fee loan for the remainder. I'm not totally sure of the details as I'm mainly looking at year 1 at the moment, but here's a link that might help.
    http://postimg.org/image/6cotks1r9/

ReputationRep:
    No worries
    In the first year, you get a maintenance loan from student finance (the amount depends on your parental income), but everyone is entitled to some. You have to fund the first £3465 towards your tuition fees and you can get a tuition fee loan for the rest. In years 2-4, the maintenance loan you can get is reduced, but you can get an NHS bursary. The NHS also covers the first £3465 of fees, and again you can get a tuition fee loan for the remainder. I'm not totally sure of the details as I'm mainly looking at year 1 at the moment, but here's a link that might help.
    http://postimg.org/image/6cotks1r9/
    according to that on year 1 we have to give £3465 and year 2,3 and 4, NHS and student finance covers it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princess271)
    according to that on year 1 we have to give £3465 and year 2,3 and 4, NHS and student finance covers it
    Yep, that's right Maintenance will vary depending on your parental income and number of weeks of each year you're studying for, but tuition should be covered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamphilpot)
    Hi guys

just a quick one about work experience. Do I need to show substantial work experience that has been completed prior to 15th October, so in my PS or can it be ongoing and as long as you have done it by the interview?

Relating more to the 70hrs min for Warwick rather than other places.
    They said that this year, they were lenient and allowed up to the Assessment Centre for completion of work experiment. They told me in an email that in future years experience would have to be met by the 15th October deadline.

ReputationRep:
    For the GAMSAT, first and foremost buy the practise tests from ACER. If you were to buy one thing, I would advise these two! After that, I once read that A-level knowledge is enough to take the GAMSAT and I defo agree. So any books to help you revise your A-level in chemistry, physics and biology. But do not overlook section I and II, they can give you a LOT OF POINTS. So I would advise to be up to date with the news.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! I am about to start my third year at QMUL and study Biology. My A Levels are ABB with Bio, Chem and Psych. Ive been working full time as a carer since December 2012 and have experience in 5 different hospitals across London. Ill be sitting the UKCAT in July and am completely bricking myself. Utterly terrified of doing this mad cycle of emails and hope and bitter rejection all over again! Not sure where to apply but really don't fancy doing the GAMSAT :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    Hiya! I am about to start my third year at QMUL and study Biology. My A Levels are ABB with Bio, Chem and Psych. Ive been working full time as a carer since December 2012 and have experience in 5 different hospitals across London. Ill be sitting the UKCAT in July and am completely bricking myself. Utterly terrified of doing this mad cycle of emails and hope and bitter rejection all over again! Not sure where to apply but really don't fancy doing the GAMSAT :/
    With your A Levels and degree there is so many options open to you. Unless you really want to go to one of the GAMSAT unis or you bomb your UKCAT, it's probably not worth the time investment or expense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    With your A Levels and degree there is so many options open to you. Unless you really want to go to one of the GAMSAT unis or you bomb your UKCAT, it's probably not worth the time investment or expense.
    I'm in a similar position but that's just the problem, I'm sure I'm going to bomb the UKCAT! What score do you think would be high enough that we wouldn't have to consider doing the GAMSAT and could just apply based on the UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    I'm in a similar position but that's just the problem, I'm sure I'm going to bomb the UKCAT! What score do you think would be high enough that we wouldn't have to consider doing the GAMSAT and could just apply based on the UKCAT?
    As a graduate, you need to look at a UKCAT of AT LEAST 700 if you want to be in a comfortable position.

I personally found the UKCAT difficult and I did prefer studying for the GAMSAT

ReputationRep:
    Hi can anyone help me with this please
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Thank you! Yh after much deliberation I've pushed my UKCAT date back to August and am doing my best to practise as much as I can. Not easy with a full time job, husband, resits, driving lessons, gyming and weightless and tryna do some volunteering

ReputationRep:
    Morning all,

I'm looking at attacking the behemoth that is the GAMSAT next year, with a view to applying '17 and '18 if necessary.

As you are all, i assume, well versed in the process now i thought i would say hello, wish you all luck and finally glean as much advice / tips as possible.

First query, I've given myself over a year to revise for the GAMSAT, given i have no science background (first degree in Business) other than my GCSE's (i'm 30 so these are just a mere memory now). is this adequate? Also, am i right in saying a 2016 GAMSAT will hold validity for '17 and '18 applications before expiring?

Secondly, i can only apply to Nottingham given my circumstances. Is this going to be a major issue, or if i achieve the required score and have good work experience, are my chances of interview good?

Any other pertinent advice welcome, along with your thoughts and tales of grad level medical application welcome!

Dan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dantheram)
    Morning all,

I'm looking at attacking the behemoth that is the GAMSAT next year, with a view to applying '17 and '18 if necessary.

As you are all, i assume, well versed in the process now i thought i would say hello, wish you all luck and finally glean as much advice / tips as possible.

First query, I've given myself over a year to revise for the GAMSAT, given i have no science background (first degree in Business) other than my GCSE's (i'm 30 so these are just a mere memory now). is this adequate? Also, am i right in saying a 2016 GAMSAT will hold validity for '17 and '18 applications before expiring?

Secondly, i can only apply to Nottingham given my circumstances. Is this going to be a major issue, or if i achieve the required score and have good work experience, are my chances of interview good?

Any other pertinent advice welcome, along with your thoughts and tales of grad level medical application welcome!

Dan
    Hi,
    can't help with GAMSAT - didn't do it - but I'm a GEM pending student at Warwick, starting in September, and also come from an arts (law) background with very little school science. Not sure if there's anything specific I can help with but give a shout if there's anything.

You're chances by only applying to one uni aren't necessarily lower. The offer:interveiw:application rates are on the FAQ page of the Nottingham website and seem fairly standard for GEM. I did find going to more than one interview helped since I had a bit of practice and feel that I improved going along. On that basis alone might be worth applying to a few unis and using the others as practice if their interviews come up first.

Sorry, not really over helpful given what you're asking but it's always good to hear I'm not the only non-scientist!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.