The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanTaylor
I received my offer from Durham last week, for Chemistry. Anyone else here applied for Chemistry?

I received my college allocation today. I applied for St Chad's which is where I've been allocated! Has anyone else got Chad's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a MChemistry(industrial) offer holder.I applied for Cuth's and that's where I've been allocated:smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 681
I received my offer from Durham last week, for Chemistry. Anyone else here applied for Chemistry?

I received my college allocation today. I applied for St Chad's which is where I've been allocated! Has anyone else got Chad's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, for chemistry as well. Are you thinking to firm Durham?
I received my offer early December but haven't heard about college allocation yet...should I be worried?
Original post by knope
Yes, for chemistry as well. Are you thinking to firm Durham?

Not too sure yet! I've received offers back from all my choices now, so I need to weigh up the pros and cons of each university and decide. Are you firming Durham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trubadur
I'm a MChemistry(industrial) offer holder.I applied for Cuth's and that's where I've been allocated:smile:

Never heard of Cuth's. (Although saying that I chose Chad's as it was one of the smallest! I prefer small and close...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ellenp1996
I received my offer early December but haven't heard about college allocation yet...should I be worried?

I'm fairly certain that each college will have their own deadline by which they have to allocate. Also remember that the university itself has until the end of February/beginning of March to give out offers (or not), so some colleges may be waiting for all of the offers to be given out before allocating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm fairly certain that each college will have their own deadline by which they have to allocate. Also remember that the university itself has until the end of February/beginning of March to give out offers (or not), so some colleges may be waiting for all of the offers to be given out before allocating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's fair enough, thank you, will see soon enough anyway :smile:
Original post by Dylann
Applied to Butler and got van mildert. I haven't found anyone who actually applied to van mildert...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I stayed in van Mildert when I went for a chemistry summer school and the rooms were plain nasty. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hayley Williams
I stayed in van Mildert when I went for a chemistry summer school and the rooms were plain nasty. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear... In what way?
Original post by emzyyyyy
Sociology, you ?. Will you be firming Durham?:smile:

Physics :smile: I'm not sure, I'll probably end up firming it over Manchester, and choose York as my insurance

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hayley Williams

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I went for the physics summer school and my room was alright, but maybe that's because I had an ensuite and that's all matters...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 691
Not too sure yet! I've received offers back from all my choices now, so I need to weigh up the pros and cons of each university and decide. Are you firming Durham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, okay. Where else have you applied? Best of luck with your decision - I'm also extremely familiar with ridiculously long pro and con lists.

I applied in the last application cycle for deferred entry so I've already firmed. No regrets so far! What swayed it for me was the course at Durham: industrial placements in the 4th year, option to do two out of org/inorg/phys in 3rd year & generally what seemed to give a strong theoretical grounding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep MChem Industrial here!

Got my place at Josephine Butler
Original post by cerlohee
Second most competitive (after Castle) and castle is around 12 applicants per place :tongue:

How many applicants per place is Castle then?!
Original post by hope1817
How many applicants per place is Castle then?!

She j said 12
Original post by knope
Ah, okay. Where else have you applied? Best of luck with your decision - I'm also extremely familiar with ridiculously long pro and con lists.

I applied in the last application cycle for deferred entry so I've already firmed. No regrets so far! What swayed it for me was the course at Durham: industrial placements in the 4th year, option to do two out of org/inorg/phys in 3rd year & generally what seemed to give a strong theoretical grounding.

I've applied for Durham, St Andrews, York, Manchester and Warwick. I've been to York and Manchester now, heading down to Warwick this weekend. Then I need to check out Durham and St Andrews!

I'm wondering whether to firm Manchester as it's within commuting distance from me, so I could avoid unnecessary expense incurred by living in... I'm not too sure whether I would want to live in, in fact the residential visit day up in the Durham Colleges would be good for determining that!

York is also another university which sends students out in the 4th year! Manchester, however, send them out in 3rd year. I wanted to ask my interviewer why they did that, but I couldn't seem to get a word in edge-ways!
Original post by Dylann
Applied to Butler and got van mildert. I haven't found anyone who actually applied to van mildert...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know 2 people who applied to van mildert and got in ☺️
Reply 697
I've applied for Durham, St Andrews, York, Manchester and Warwick. I've been to York and Manchester now, heading down to Warwick this weekend. Then I need to check out Durham and St Andrews!

I'm wondering whether to firm Manchester as it's within commuting distance from me, so I could avoid unnecessary expense incurred by living in... I'm not too sure whether I would want to live in, in fact the residential visit day up in the Durham Colleges would be good for determining that!

York is also another university which sends students out in the 4th year! Manchester, however, send them out in 3rd year. I wanted to ask my interviewer why they did that, but I couldn't seem to get a word in edge-ways!

Similar choices then, I also applied for Durham, St Andrews and York last year. I was torn between Durham and St Andrews and what made up my mind was the colleges & that although you can jump into the 2nd year at St As to bring down the length to English standards, it's not designed for it so much. St Andrews is quite a unique place though, a visit is worth your while. And if you like the breadth of a Scottish degree I would certainly recommend it. Anyway, yes, tough decision in whether to commute or not; at least you've got until May-ish to decide.

That's not brilliant, the interview is meant to be as much for you as for the them! Where was that?
Hello, there! Does anyone else have an offer for studying BSc Psychology?
Original post by knope
Similar choices then, I also applied for Durham, St Andrews and York last year. I was torn between Durham and St Andrews and what made up my mind was the colleges & that although you can jump into the 2nd year at St As to bring down the length to English standards, it's not designed for it so much. St Andrews is quite a unique place though, a visit is worth your while. And if you like the breadth of a Scottish degree I would certainly recommend it.

My choices were very similar,too:smile: for the same course MChem(industry).
I got offers from Durham, StAndrews, York and Nott and still waiting for Edinburgh.In Durham I got allocated to St.Cuthbert's, as I applied for.
It looks like it would be a hard decision between Durham and StA:wink:
Will you please extend a bit the reasons for your decision.It might be helpful for me and I would be grateful.
Thanks a lot and :goodluck:Maybe we'll meet at the freshers':smile:

Quick Reply

Latest