The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Antifazian

That sounds awful! :frown: I remember watching Countdown on tv with my mum, and I was always really good at the word sections, but at the maths bit she'd tell me to try and do the problem, and I usually couldn't in the time, and she'd be like 'You should be able to do that!'. She was saying it jokingly and meant well, but it's pretty harsh and sticks with you!

omg I used to run when Countdown came on. I'd just tell my Mum I was busy doing homework and hide in my room haha

Yeah I was criticised on a constant basis from my whole family and now they're like "why are you so insecure?" :rolleyes:

Original post by Psyc_Girl
Lab reports are horrible! Currently working on my second one this term and trying hard to improve from my previous 2:1 but it's hard :cry2:

You can do it!
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising

Lol No thanks. I love myself too much :cool:

But it's still possible right?

Yeah it's still possible, but quite hard, I only got one of my modules above 85 last year and I was practically working 9-5 every single day!
Original post by MathsNerd1
Yeah it's still possible, but quite hard, I only got one of my modules above 85 last year and I was practically working 9-5 every single day!

I would happily give my left leg for a grade above 85 right now. Would take so much pressure off me. And maybe 25lbs lol!
My two criminology assessed coursework have been submitted, before the deadline. Very pleased. Now I'm just tackling this non-assessed 1,500 words essay on EU Law due in at 10:30am. I focused so much on my assessed coursework, that I've neglected this. I'm so sleepy, got a raging migraine, I'm ready to just turn in 1000 words and call it a day, it doesn't count towards anything.. just a 'practice' but its not useful.. sigh..

Guess what guys? I'm not being transferred! Yay, my manager put his foot down and argued my case. I wouldn't have agreed to it either way. So I'm pretty pleased with that. But now pissed off :angry: pay day is Friday. I've been working since the 20th Nov, been told by HR that cut off date for pay was the 29th extended from the 22nd Nov, so I should have a significant amount of pay right? Nope. Apparently my manager hasn't been putting in my hours, I have 0 hours to my name = no pay on friday. My manager is swearing he put the hours in, swore he emailed HR. HR said no such email exists, then to top it off, some random person put '19 hours unpaid' on my name! Why would someone do that?? :angry: HR have their ID name but cannot identify them.. why not just look it up.. nope.. so now my manager has to input my hours through some escalation program, so I can get paid by Monday or Tuesday next week. Too much stress, and on top he wants me to work overtime, tried to give 28 hours next week, my contract is 15 hours mate.. you haven't been inputting my hours but you want me to work.. for free. ha. no.

/rant over.

sorry I keep ranting about my job.. I need a job ranting thread lol

EDIT- calling it a night, submitted what i've done so far. not killing myself over non-assessed practice coursework. Fingers crossed I sleep my migraine off. So tomorrow I can create my revision timetable for my 2 jan and 2 june exams
(edited 9 years ago)
x

Sorry I didn't reply earlier!

Full-time work and part-time study is tough. The other week I did my usual 8 hour days at work Mon-Fri, plus 7 hours of study on Tue/Wed/Thu to get an assignment done. The module and content is exactly the same as what full-time students do, so the rigour is there.

Also, we get no lectures (just notes/forums) and a lot of it requires 'just figuring it out'. Having said that, you become more proficient by solving something yourself, even if it takes 20 hours (which has happened).

Any more questions, just ask. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by addylad
snip

Apologies for the randomness of this post but every time I see your signature I feel like telling you it is dishonest. Have you said the same thing on your CV?:curious:
got 62 on my physiology essay :smile: submitted my lab report yesterday

and I'm going home tomorrow :biggrin:
Original post by Snufkin
Apologies for the randomness of this post but every time I see your signature I feel like telling you it is dishonest. Have you said the same thing on your CV?:curious:

How so? :holmes:
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
My two criminology assessed coursework have been submitted, before the deadline. Very pleased. Now I'm just tackling this non-assessed 1,500 words essay on EU Law due in at 10:30am. I focused so much on my assessed coursework, that I've neglected this. I'm so sleepy, got a raging migraine, I'm ready to just turn in 1000 words and call it a day, it doesn't count towards anything.. just a 'practice' but its not useful.. sigh..

That seems so pointless if it's not assessed. Obviously it's practice which is a help but it sounds like the usual case of a lecturer forgetting that people have other modules with other assessed work to do! I hope that you're stressful work situation calms down a bit. :smile:

Original post by Slowbro93

You're signature is brilliant! Pokémon! How I miss my childhood mornings spent watching Pokémon and Digimon! :charm::pika:

Wow on your first as well! Didn't realise! Suddenly, I feel very unworthy. :hat2:

This day of revision is a disaster. Overslept and woke up at twelve. :doh: Just finished having breakfast/lunch. Didn't revise any French yesterday. I'll try to go over two grammar points later. My revision for marketing has been pretty poor so far as well. Just really tired and can't concentrate, the semester has taken it's toll on me. :frown:

I have an essay due for my most hated module tomorrow. I'm attempting to finish it later today. I will pop back on here later to inform you all of my progress/lack of progress. :tongue:

Because he doesn't have a BSc (Hons) from the Open University. He transferred the OU credits to another university and they now form part of the BEng degree, yet he is trying to make those credits count twice. To put it another way, lets imagine that before graduating you wanted to do a MSci at another university, you transfer your credits and enter the final year of the degree. Would you claim to have a BSc and a MSci? Of course not, but that is what addylad is doing.

What he should put in his sig/CV is:

BEng Chemical Engineering, University of Strathclyde
180/360 credits completed with the Open University
hhh
Original post by Snufkin
Because he doesn't have a BSc (Hons) from the Open University. He transferred the OU credits to another university and they now form part of the BEng degree, yet he is trying to make those credits count twice. To put it another way, lets imagine that before graduating you wanted to do a MSci at another university, you transfer your credits and enter the final year of the degree. Would you claim to have a BSc and a MSci? Of course not, but that is what addylad is doing.

Ahhh, the way how I saw it was that was what he did previously and now this is what he's doing now. Although that was my interpretation though :colondollar:
Original post by addylad
Sorry I didn't reply earlier!

Full-time work and part-time study is tough. The other week I did my usual 8 hour days at work Mon-Fri, plus 7 hours of study on Tue/Wed/Thu to get an assignment done. The module and content is exactly the same as what full-time students do, so the rigour is there.

Also, we get no lectures (just notes/forums) and a lot of it requires 'just figuring it out'. Having said that, you become more proficient by solving something yourself, even if it takes 20 hours (which has happened).

Any more questions, just ask. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I do not envy you at all. I swear because I have so much free time, I get comfortable and don't work.
78% in my biochemistry summative :biggrin: such a nice way to end the term!
Can someone please advise me on my lab report for Psychology - in my discussion section I have discussed two different theories to explain my results and supporting and refuting studies as well as a third theory which encompasses the previous two. Is that appropriate for the discussion section or is it too much? I mention about 7 studies.
Original post by Snufkin

Original post by Snufkin

No need to apologise; I cringe on your behalf every time you post anyway. Samual, isn't it?

Seriously, this has already been debated at length, with you, to death. Perhaps you need to just let it go, or find a new pursuit? You seem to be getting really nettled by it.

Ahhh, the way how I saw it was that was what he did previously and now this is what he's doing now. Although that was my interpretation though :colondollar:

Your interpretation is correct! Given that my named degree was BSc (Hons) Natural Sciences, and I explicitly state that I have transferred 180/360 credits, most sober people have little difficulty figuring out how it works.

Ahh I do not envy you at all. I swear because I have so much free time, I get comfortable and don't work.

That's understandable. When I finish work I have a time slot to get stuff done, so I know I need to get on with it!
Bit negative in here recently!

Cheer up everyone, it's nearly Christmas!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayquaza17
Bit negative in here recently!

Cheer up everyone, it's nearly Christmas!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's so hard to be positive when you have so much work to do :colondollar:
The graduation system to book is completely broken atm. ****! :colonhash:
Totally finished now!

Need to learn all the definitions learnt this semester as my 'friend' made me out to be someone who doesn't understand any of the modules, yet even though in the problem I finished it all correctly and he only did half, plus I always score higher marks than him, so yeah, got me a little annoyed if I'm honest!
Made some good progress on my lab report, 4/6 sections done :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest