Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC watch

ReputationRep:
    For The Crucible, I picked the betrayal question.
    My points were:
    1) John betraying Elizabeth b/c of the affair, talked about the setting of Act 2 and how it showed distance / a broken home.
    2) John betraying the Ten Commandments, Puritans should have lived by these and his death was a consequence of defying religious rules.
    3) Hale betraying the court in Act 3, and how him "going outside" symbolized a heaven and hell situation, as realizing that the girls were lying brought him closer to God. Also mentioned how Puritan theocracy was suggested to be dying when he "slammed the door behind him". Here I talked about how betrayal could also be seen as a good thing.

For OMAM, it was worse than The Crucible, which I spent almost an hour on.
    For part a (extract) my points were:
    1) How the death of Curley's Wife symbolized the death of Lennie's dream, when she "battered" and "writhed" it felt like he was torturing his own dream.
    2) How her death revealed false hope. I don't think this one was very good. I talked about how her head "jerking sideways" represented that her dreams caused her death, and that this would allow her delusional mind to align normally with her body once again.

For part b (brutality) my points were:
    1) Loneliness, where I went on to mention Crooks. I talked about his "broken harnesses" which are a symbol of the many broken aspects of his life, including his back.
    2) How having a low status basically meant that you wouldn't live a good life. Curley is feared a lot because of his status when physically, Lennie should be the most feared. I also went on to talk about how women were treated and how Curley did not care about his wife because of his attempt to assume power through her death, as he wanted to be feared by saying he will "shoot 'im in the guts".

Are these points good enough for an A*? Obviously its not everything I wrote, just what I can remember. I have a feeling The Crucible will gain higher marks than OMAM, but hopefully my examiner is nice

ReputationRep:
    I talked about Curleys life being brutal.. thats how you know i flopped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by room.25)
    I'm not ****ting myself. I've studied all the poems, in all the clusters, and I am going to pick the hardest question as I need something challenging. GCSE level just Isn't challenging at all for me, however I think this is because I go to a private school and you must obviously go to a public. Don't worry though, you're not expected to go as far in life as I am.
    Sounds like your one arrogant and egotistic person. If anything going to a public school teaches you to be humble and appreciate your education more. This "Im better than you, I go to a private school" attitude is snobby and reflects your pretentious behavior. Going to a private school may have its advantages however what it fails to teach you is self-respect and being grateful- something that will ultimately be your tragic downfall and you sincerely fail to acknowledge. (Something money fails to buy)

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I did AIC and OMAM. For the whole paper, I wrote about 4 and a half page. I did ****..is 4 and 1/2 too less for 60 marks?

ReputationRep:
    Wrote 5 pages mr birling 2 pages part a 2 pages part b ik its quality over quantity but is that about average/enough

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow this private school kid thinks he's better than us.. ok.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if ''To His Coy Mistress'' has come up before? I have a feeling it is gonna be in the exam

ReputationRep:
    AIC went pretty well for me I think. I talked about the use of structure to show the lack of change Birling undergoes- how he is so 'hard headed' that constructs such as the truth cannot affect him, or it could show how the changing times were soon to leave him behind (linked this to his name meaning 'bear'- showing how he was being hunted, was a dying species within the changing society etc).

Then I talked about the use of bathos showing his lack of morality, and his separation from society. How Priestley mocks the superficail valuse that are the foundation of Capitalist society ect.

I also used the stage directions "closing the door behind him" to show how he could only survive in a segregated society, and that ironically, he himslef had become trapped int he very society people like him had created. Or he was so intent in conserving his public image that he tried to close the door on the rest of the world to hide the truth of his actions, but that Priestley was metaphorically 'opening the door'.

OMAM wasn't as good in comparison, I don't think, but I think it went okay.
    part a I talked about the use of sibilance creating an enforced change in rhythm, perhaps showing that the death was fated, or that 'higher powers' eg God were at play.

I also developed it further to talk about the imagery of the snake created, and the biblical links of this, showing that CW died as a martyr so her voice could finally be heard in society (I linked this to the simplistic language of 'she said', showing how women were often disregarded in Patriarchal Society etc.

Then I talked about Lennie "holding onto her hair", showing how he was an instinctive character who held onto her hair in the same way he held onto his dreams (iron), or how the death of CW was like a 'rebirth' for his construct (as it is instinctive for babies to hold onto whatever touches them with their fingers)

part b I talked about the death of Candy's dog, and how the men on the ranch committed these acts of brutality in order to regain some scraps of control, as itinerant workers in the depression had very little. The use of the word 'old devil' used by Carlson shows either how the workers were inverting their sense of morality and in effect 'turning to the devil' themselves, or how the men elevated themselves to an almost god-like level in order to commit these acts of brutality.

I talked about the brutal treatment of Crooks, and how his lips had become 'lighter than his face' due to his maltreatment, showing how undergoing maltreatment was seen to be a sign of 'manhood', and it was in this twisted system that the men earned their respect, as the idea of Crooks' lips being 'lighter than his face' shows how he was becoming more like the white men on the ranch, showing the destructive cycle of brutality in society.

any idea what I could get for this? (obviously in the exam I wrote and expanded a fair bit more but this is what I can remember )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adapttochangelad)
    I have got a feeling that one of the questions will be like 'Remind yourself of the Inspector's final speech' because that's quite important and they haven't asked a question about that before
    well it didn't, so glad my predictions were accurate Mr. Birling and inequality had come up

ReputationRep:
    I did a planned draft before I started my an inspector calls essay and I wrote the question number next to it. But I didn't cross it out, do you think they'll be strict and take my answer as the rough notes I made initially??😖

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Nc1999;55936935]I did a planned draft before I started my an inspector calls essay and I wrote the question number next to it. But I didn't cross it out, do you think they'll be strict and take my answer as the rough notes I made initially??😖

I hope not because I did the same thing! My teacher told us not to cross out the plan though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nc1999)
    I did a planned draft before I started my an inspector calls essay and I wrote the question number next to it. But I didn't cross it out, do you think they'll be strict and take my answer as the rough notes I made initially??😖
    our invigilator told us that drafts don't get marked, but they do make things a bit easier for the examiner since they can vaguely tell whether your essay will be any good or not, so you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nc1999)
    Don't beat yourself up - i'm surprised you even had time! I'm sure they'll read through and be like "eh?" and then realise it was planning - you've aid the same thing as you planned, but later on and in more detail! Don't worry! Then certainly won't deduct marks.

ReputationRep:
    HEY everyone, hope you all feel the exam went well - for me it was okay, but I personally thought the extract from Of Mice and Men was a little ****ty, and didn't allow a great deal of in-depth analysis :/ Not much room for structure in either question (WIB 8, and OMAM a+b)....

I was wondering though.... does anyone know what percentage the controlled assessment is worth?

And then what is the literature (books) and poetry are worth individually too?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    did anyone talk about how women were treated in 1930s America for Of mice and men question on Curleys wife Death?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by examswhizz)
    Could anyone help me? My English teacher didn't tell us anything about the AOs ... So I didn't think you had to write about language, structure and form. I wrote a bit about Mr Birling's long speeches (provincial and social-ladder-climbing - long monologues showing he is egotistical and this makes audience dislike him - helping priestly show that capitalism is wrong) and about the short sentences in the to Kill a Mockingbird passage (to show scout's age and disapproval at her father). Do you think this will be enough to get enough points? I got full marks in the controlled assessments and, now I know about AO2, will write about this in Thursday's poetry exam. I was hoping for an A* before now and this has really worried me. Help!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did exactly the same thing for An Inspector Calls, and in my English mock I didn't mention structure at all and still got 28/30 for that question so I think that should be enough tbh. I did OMAM rather than TKAM, but the only thing I talked about in that was sentence length too, so hopefully that's enough! I couldn't really find anything else to do with structure relating to Mr Birling in An Inspector Calls so I think long paragraphs were the only thing you could possibly talk about for AO2 anyway..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alejazambrano)
    I wrote 3 and a half sides for both of them- is there any hope ?
    Some of my friends wrote the same amount and they're a* students, remember it's quality not quantity!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,any prediction for english literature unit 2?

ReputationRep:
    For AIC did we have to talk about the quote cause it didn't specifically ask for you to talk about it although i did briefly link it with one of my points? I looked at previous mark schemes for when they have given you a quote but i doesn't say you have to talk about the point specifically. it says students may talk about and they cant mark you down for not analysing it in detail can they?

ReputationRep:
    for part b OMAM

I wrote two big paragraphs one about the racism and brutality of crooks life +context of black people in america at the time
    and then I wrote one about the fear and lack of jobs security the workers had and how there everyday life was a constant struggle for any small amounts of power + context about lack of a wellfare state and the great depression???

Have no idea if my two points are even correct but oh well!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.