Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anzyy)
    WHAT?!?! Who said this. I'm soooo screwed :'(
    Remember that the grade boundaries are fairly low. Probably only 62 or something out of 90 for an A

ReputationRep:
    That's true. Ugh I had the knowledge in my head but I didn't want to talk about it because I thought social groups meant we have a choice and it isn't obligatory to talk about all 3

(Original post by Joneseyboy)
    Remember that the grade boundaries are fairly low. Probably only 62 or something out of 90 for an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anzyy)
    That's true. Ugh I had the knowledge in my head but I didn't want to talk about it because I thought social groups meant we have a choice and it isn't obligatory to talk about all 3
    Besides what is there really to talk about in the other 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joneseyboy;[url="tel:56088979")
    56088979[/url]]Besides what is there really to talk about in the other 2?
    i swear u cant really talk about gender ethnicity and educational policies ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anilmg98)
    i swear u cant really talk about gender ethnicity and educational policies ?
    i agree

ReputationRep:
    Besides what is there really to talk about in the other 2?
    anilmg98

For gender there was GIST, WISE and you could have also mentioned some policies on boys like the reading champions scheme maybe. I'm a bit unsure with the boys ones.

For ethnicity there was assimiliation which is when schools try to assimilate ethnic minorities into the mainstream British culture to raise achievement. And then there was multicultural education and social inclusions via policies such as the race relation act

The gender one was particularly small but lets just hope we can get into the middle band at least. I'm sure we will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anilmg98)
    omg what? so social group isn't class? i swear u cant really apply the educational policies on gender or ethnicity????
    You can mention about the changes in opportunities for women, for example, in the tripartite system, girls had to gain more points to get into grammar schools however nowadays there are policies set up like GIST and WISE that encourage females to take on science and technology careers/opportunities.

Also for ethnicity you can talk about assimilation where governments tried to move ethnic minorities into mainstream British culture for example helping those whose first language wasn't English. However you can argue this with the fact that some minorities who did speak English as their first language still underachieved due to poverty and racism. You could have also talked about multicultural education and social inclusion and given an evaluation for both of these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anzyy)
    anilmg98

For gender there was GIST, WISE and you could have also mentioned some policies on boys like the reading champions scheme maybe. I'm a bit unsure with the boys ones.

For ethnicity there was assimiliation which is when schools try to assimilate ethnic minorities into the mainstream British culture to raise achievement. And then there was multicultural education and social inclusions via policies such as the race relation act

The gender one was particularly small but lets just hope we can get into the middle band at least. I'm sure we will.
    Yeah hopefully. Anyway what is done is done. Time to enjoy my 2 week half term!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anzyy)
    anilmg98

With gender you could have talked about how girls in the tripartite system had to gain more points to attend grammar schools and how this has changed by as you said GIST and WISE. For boys there were policies set up to help boys and their literacy skills as this was why they were underachieving due to lack of male educational role models e.g. lack of male primary school teachers. The one I always remembers is 'The Sons and Dads Program' that encourages father to encourage their sons education more and help them out with it. There were many more as well along with this.

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone panicking, you've done all you can and panicking won't change it. Also why is everyone so sure the 'examiner' is actually an examiner?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisW180598)
    Why is everyone panicking, you've done all you can and panicking won't change it. Also why is everyone so sure the 'examiner' is actually an examiner?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True

ReputationRep:
    I made up a sociologist called 'Penelope' - what are the chances the examiners will find out and Mark me down? I've failed the paper anyway I'm dropping so I don't care tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grassntai)
    I made up a sociologist called 'Penelope' - what are the chances the examiners will find out and Mark me down? I've failed the paper anyway I'm dropping so I don't care tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol im probably going to drop it too but it just seems a shame.

ReputationRep:
    i thought the 20 marker was on social policies affecting social class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolrandom)
    i thought the 20 marker was on social policies affecting social class?
    Nope apparently not!

ReputationRep:
    Nope apparently not!
    I'm screwed, was the 12 marker not about in school factors affecting social class as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funeroonie)
    That was such a great paper!
    For the 20 marker for education did you have to mention gender , ethnicity and class or would have it been fine to just do social inequalities? Because some people in my class did all 3 social groups..
    I just did the class inequalities. What did you do and mention if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolrandom)
    I'm screwed, was the 12 marker not about in school factors affecting social class as well?
    The 12 marker was about social class only i think

ReputationRep:
    Well,l that exam was a biter! I hope you all found it all right- some of my class only wrote class and gender, but i think a good few of us got all three ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ kinda botched the methods in context and I could feel myself getting tired and muddled toward the end but I'm sure it could've gone worse :,)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thorsson)
    I just did the class inequalities. What did you do and mention if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just did class inequalities too but by reading this forum it looks like I'm in trouble :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.