The Student Room Group

AQA maths core 1, 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JackMac123
I got the overall answer as 162/5 because i got 54 -108/5 which was equivalent to 270/5 - 108/5

yup
Original post by JackMac123
How did you get to 300?

Same thing, homie. I did it like 50 times before realising that I have missed a minus sign in the first equation.
Original post by mickel_w
Yup same, hoping for an A, gonna have to put in lots of work for unit 2 though ;(

Probably around 40 for an A.
NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOO, this paper took the piss onto another level. They didnt give u enough time for the paper!!! Damn it!. How did other people find it, hopefully the grade boundaries will drop hard and be like 57 marks for an A, HOPEFULLY.
I've done all the past papers and I can say that this was much harder than previous years. I personally got 75/75 so I'm not saying it was hard just because it was my actual exam. It was harder objectively speaking. I expect about 73/75 to be 100UMS. 2014 was 74/75 and this year was harder than last year for sure due to the cylinder question.
I predict all other maths papers will be hard this year. Last year every module had low grade boundaries. For example FP1 is usually 75/75 for 100UMS but last year 69/75 was 100UMS. A huge drop with M1, C2 too and D1 was also lower. I think they have decided to make the exams harder since last year.
Original post by OneandOnly123
NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOO, this paper took the piss onto another level. They didnt give u enough time for the paper!!! Damn it!. How did other people find it, hopefully the grade boundaries will drop hard and be like 57 marks for an A, HOPEFULLY.

Really?! I finished with over 30 minutes to check my answers. I thought it was fine.
Reply 686
brilliant thanks all.
Original post by C0balt
I've done all the past papers and I can say that this was much harder than previous years. I personally got 75/75 so I'm not saying it was hard just because it was my actual exam. It was harder objectively speaking. I expect about 73/75 to be 100UMS. 2014 was 74/75 and this year was harder than last year for sure due to the cylinder question.
I predict all other maths papers will be hard this year. Last year every module had low grade boundaries. For example FP1 is usually 75/75 for 100UMS but last year 69/75 was 100UMS. A huge drop with M1, C2 too and D1 was also lower. I think they have decided to make the exams harder since last year.

what raw mark do you think would be needed for an A, because i cant stop thinking about it man i missed the last question because there were no time left!!!
Original post by student0042
Really?! I finished with over 30 minutes to check my answers. I thought it was fine.

Me too.
what raw mark do you think would be needed for an A, because i cant stop thinking about it man i missed the last question because there were no time left!!!

Should be about 59 - 60 for an A.
Reply 690
for the question about finding r and stating whether its a max ormin(4 marks)
i stated dy/dx=0 got r=4
Then did d2y/dx^2 which i got as 24pi -6pir/2 simplidied to 24pi-3pir/2
I plugged 4 into it got 12pi and sed mininum valueI
How many marks will i get out of 4 for this? will i get method marks?

for the b2-4ac where it said how equation has one real root--i got my equation as x^2-x+10 i sed b^2-4ac<0 cos the value i got was negative and i sed only real root was x=-2 how many marks will i get out for 3 for this?

and for the cubic questuion worth 3 marks- i did it through 0 and touched x axis. how many marks will i get for this as well? thanks
Original post by rhoxc
You mean Grade boundaries should be lower right?

Ah yes, sorry. It should say that I think grade boundaries will be lower.

Around 60 I guess
Idk tbh I never pay attention to grafe boundaries..only UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by student0042
should be about 59 - 60 for an a.

i think they will be lower you know, because the jan 2011 was 57 for an a, but this paper was much much hareder so i will pray for it to be like 55 for an a ,lol.
Original post by C0balt

what would you say an A grade would be? and would getting 67/68 out of 75 secure a 90UMS? D:
well done on full raw marks! bloody hell

The cylinder question was definitely the hardest one due to the fact that i forgot the formula but aside from that, I thought that paper was ok. How did you find the paper?
I am so annoyed with myself I knew they'd throw us off as last years exam was so easy and I knew I should have learned area of circle, trapezium etc 😩 optimisation is the only think I haven't smashed in core 1 gutted should have trusted my instincts
Original post by JNicko
I got 7, so did 5 people I spoke to after the exam, so I'd say 7 is a safe bet

I wouldn't say so! How can the distance to a line within the circle be greater than the radius?

(5 root 2)^2 - 1^2 = root 9. or 3.
i think they will be lower you know, because the jan 2011 was 57 for an a, but this paper was much much hareder so i will pray for it to be like 55 for an a ,lol.

Hmmm... Maybe.
Original post by r-star
for the question about finding r and stating whether its a max ormin(4 marks)
i stated dy/dx=0 got r=4
Then did d2y/dx^2 which i got as 24pi -6pir/2 simplidied to 24pi-3pir/2
I plugged 4 into it got 12pi and sed mininum valueI
How many marks will i get out of 4 for this? will i get method marks?

for the b2-4ac where it said how equation has one real root--i got my equation as x^2-x+10 i sed b^2-4ac<0 cos the value i got was negative and i sed only real root was x=-2 how many marks will i get out for 3 for this?

and for the cubic questuion worth 3 marks- i did it through 0 and touched x axis. how many marks will i get for this as well? thanks

I did the same as you for all of those. Although people seem to have got -12pi and said Max so i really dont know

Quick Reply

Latest