Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elmacho)
    Did anyone do section B - British Political History (Public Health)???
    I did! How did you find it? The public health question was an absolute blessing. What did you talk about for the provenance of the a question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indafina)
    I used examples of TV shows (both positivie and negative) like till death do us part, fawlty towers, brookside and eastenders. I used some other examples of TV personalities like Garth Crooks and Lenny Henry. For broader points I used the 1981 riots and TVs coverage of them and wider social changes (like equality in sport) which were just reflected on TV.
    I hope I did enough because I felt quite confident while writing.
    That sounds really good! I did pretty much the same apart from I forgot to mention other tv personalities

ReputationRep:
    help please!!

for the part b question I wrote that I strongly agreed that cholera was the main factor rather than saying it was to a large extent (as the question was how far was it the main factor). does this matter or will the examiner take it as meaning basically the same thing??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holmbury)
    yeah i did that question too... im really worried that i answered it wrong though, because lierally no one else at my school did that questions just me :/ what did you write about factions?
    Cromwells Protestant influence
    Catherine's Howard lust influence
    Anne boelyn faction influence
    Corruption of the church
    Henry's experience and religious beliefs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marklowell96)
    Did anyone do the Margaret Thatcher question?

I did the Thatcher question! Thought Edexcel was being nice to us since the first paper wasn't that good.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the British Politics question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gunnarsunn)
    What you've included is fine, I did the other B question instead though. Spelling errors don't really matter, as long as you could spell your basic phrases... Examiners understand the pressure, so no worries!
    It seems everyone else did the other B question. .-. I'm pretty surprised since that looked super hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john123412)
    Cromwells Protestant influence
    Catherine's Howard lust influence
    Anne boelyn faction influence
    Corruption of the church
    Henry's experience and religious beliefs
    How did you get corruption of the church from the sources?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJC1997)
    I mentioned the fact that the first source (from Punch magazine) was satirical and Punch was in favour of women's suffrage and often mocked Asquith for blocking women's suffrage, so its interpretational weight could have been damaged by this bias but also said since it was written in 1916 (mid war) that improves its reliability as it was written in the midst of the first world war.

For the second source I just said that it was written by someone who was part of the womens employment standards (cant remember exactly what it was) group and so she may have been critical of the inequalities faced by women in the workplace and also it was written much later, 1980's or something?

for the third source I also mentioned the date (1918) which was at the end of the first world war and so it might be significant especially because the source was saying how womens improvements in work and employability was short lived and they didn't realise their jobs would be lost after the war.

do they make sense?
    Oh crap .... I wrote the complete opposite. I talked about how Punch magazine along with the newspaper of the third source were critical of the suffrage movement, and often mocked it. I also talked about how they represented and catered towards the mass majority of males in the country, who only cared about women taking up the patriotic duty of their male counterparts. I also mentioned that two sources said nothing on women's working conditions except the variety of jobs they took, which they expected would end after the war. Source 2 I pretty much bs'ed and wrote a sentence about how it's a letter addressing women's conditions during the war a year after the war started. Which proved little improvement in working conditions.

Jeez but really, didn't the punch sources in our textbook mostly mock the women's movement???

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else do Unit 2 Option B? 19th Century British politics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlock16638)
    help please!!

for the part b question I wrote that I strongly agreed that cholera was the main factor rather than saying it was to a large extent (as the question was how far was it the main factor). does this matter or will the examiner take it as meaning basically the same thing??
    The question was, "How far do you agree the the fear of cholera was the key reason for improvements in public health provision?" You're answer is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uphigh)
    It seems everyone else did the other B question. .-. I'm pretty surprised since that looked super hard.
    Most of the people I know did the first one on the Married Women's Acts - Essentially if you chose that, apart from having to do the boring cross referencing and source quoting you have all the marks for own knowledge on a plate.

Same for the second B question - 70% of the own knowledge was given in the sources. This wasn't such a bad paper, I was expecting the worst!

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap .... I wrote the complete opposite. I talked about how Punch magazine along with the newspaper of the third source were critical of the suffrage movement, and often mocked it. I also talked about how they represented and catered towards the mass majority of males in the country, who only cared about women taking up the patriotic duty of their male counterparts. I also mentioned that two sources said nothing on women's working conditions except the variety of jobs they took, which they expected would end after the war. Source 2 I pretty much bs'ed and wrote a sentence about how it's a letter addressing women's conditions during the war a year after the war started. Which proved little improvement in working conditions.

Jeez but really, didn't the punch sources in our textbook mostly mock the women's movement???
    That's fine also, as long as you mentioned how likely their responses and views were and whether they were 'valid' or 'questionable' you will be fine, considering the author and provenance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyx)
    Worst exam yet
    Did women's suffrage and thought the two B essays were evil: the first one was so specific and it would be hard to find enough to say about one act for 40 marks so I did the second one about involvement in public life but all my own knowledge was IN the sources so I couldn't really add much
    I'd been getting pretty much 40/40 in all my practice essays and I knew all the dates and legislation so well but I couldn't fit any of it into the question as everything I did know was already there!
    So gutted
    Hi Lucy,

I also did the paper, fear not I'm sure you did fine. What did you include from your own knowledge? It's perfectly valid to have included the Acts mentioned in the sources as that's what you'll get most marks for!

What points did you make and what did you include from your own knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    I think I did really well on the Conflict and Change paper! The WW1 question was so easy because I also do English, so I knew all about the poem. I put that Sassoon's brother died at Gallipoli (it talks about it in a book called Regeneration), where 125,000 British soldiers died due to Churchill's choice of attack, so that obviously reflects in the bitterness towards the generals and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonny Drinkwater)
    Did anyone else do Unit 2 Option B? 19th Century British politics?
    I did! but the representation and reform question... seems most people here doing option b do the public health one! Which did u do?

ReputationRep:

Yes Punch was in favour of womens suffrage, the liverpool newspaper had trade union connections so were upset with women taking mens jobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YZBH)
    I did! but the representation and reform question... seems most people here doing option b do the public health one! Which did u do?
    I did the same one as you, I'm just really worried because I thought that the second essay was just about the 1867 and 1884 reform acts and not the electoral reform such as the secret ballot :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonny Drinkwater)
    I did the same one as you, I'm just really worried because I thought that the second essay was just about the 1867 and 1884 reform acts and not the electoral reform such as the secret ballot :/
    I did that question too!
    Yeah i mentioned the electoral reforms, but dont worry too much cause i think the main thing that they expect from us to write about was the 1867 and 1885 reforms so Im sure youre fine!
    Howd you find it overall? and section A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael_student)
    Anyone do the Thatcher question. I spoke about the poll tax, Northern Ireland, Cabinet and party opposition, and the economy.
    I did the Poll Tax, Europe, economy/ERM, and a bit on th cabinet and four paradoxes.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.