Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dundee Medicine 2016 Entry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dofesucks)
    Oh my god I just get the offer!!! I randomly logged onto eVision as I was so bored and I GOT THE OFFER!!!!!
    Wow, congratulations!! 👍🏻😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redddddd)
    Wow, congratulations!! 👍🏻😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks and see you in Dundee!

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer earlier today and now I am very very torn between Dundee and Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody from Northern Ireland heard back?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone please pros and cons between Dundee vs. Nottingham??

ReputationRep:
    Has any international received offer yet?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    To all of the fellow Scottish people, what did you upload for the second qualification file? My e-vision won't let me respond to their decision, and I'm wondering if it's because I still need to upload a file for this. I only have one certificate with all of my grades...

ReputationRep:
    Singaporean mature applicant here. Just got a conditional offer last night at 23:30 (GMT+8)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Scottish school leaver still waiting, does this mean i should expect a rejection?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know when the Dundee applicant day is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EKM56)
    I'm a Scottish school leaver still waiting, does this mean i should expect a rejection?
    I'm in the same situation, hope not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fin193)
    I'm in the same situation, hope not!
    Me too! Dundee is my top choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmed16)
    To all of the fellow Scottish people, what did you upload for the second qualification file? My e-vision won't let me respond to their decision, and I'm wondering if it's because I still need to upload a file for this. I only have one certificate with all of my grades...
    I uploaded my two SQA certificates- one with just Nat 5s and the one detailing my highers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorluntse)
    I did. On March 11. Check the evision. Track is not updated yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dofesucks)
    I didn't even upload any document.. is this a very bad sign?
    I've just realised we were supposed to upload documents. Any idea if this will prolong the process? Also, how do you upload more than one document into each segment?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I'm finding it difficult deciding between Glasgow and Dundee for medicine. What are people's opinions on the better uni in terms of quality of teaching and learning for medicine, accommodation, social night life, medic societies and the uni experience overall?

(Also not sure if Dundee has given out all their offers but If there people waiting to here back, good luck and I hope you get in)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I currently study Pharmacology at Dundee. Teaching quality is very high, and from what I'm aware teaching quality is better here than in Glasgow. We have a world leading anatomy department for dissection and I have been taught by some amazing researchers and clinicians. Accommodation in both cities is quite cheap although pretty sure Dundee is mildly cheaper for roughly the same quality. Student accommodation is very modern with private being hit or miss but anything from £200-400 a month depending on your choices. Dundee as a city is quite compact. It is currently undergoing redevelopment so lots of new things are coming but it has all the basics you need for food, clothes and shopping. Larger cities in Scotland are reachable by train within 1-2 hours. The campus is all in one place and the city centre is about 5-10mins walk from anywhere on campus. Most students stay in the same sort of area in the west end. Ninewells, which is where the majority of med-student teaching takes place after the first 8-10weeks is a short bus journey away (less than 15mins). The medical school has undergone major refurbishments in the last 4-5 years including a brand new medic library with IT suites and 24hour access as well as access to the main campus library. Currently the older lecture theatres there are undergoing a redevelopment so all of the main lecture theatres will be totally done up by the time we get there. I can't say too much for the course detail but it is systems based with practical elements and ward placements (conveniently in the hospital where you are studying).
    Social and Night life is huge at Dundee Uni. We have the best union in Scotland and 3rd best in the UK. It has 2 bars and 2 nightclubs as well as huge society support. The city also has numerous other night clubs which some students prefer and some sports clubs and societies get discounted entry to them. There are hundreds of societies including at least 2 student medic societies (sure there are probably more I just don't know them), they organise balls and student medic families to look out for each other and integrate years more. The are sports facilities on campus which include a modern gym. The sports clubs include anything from Ultimate Frisbee to fencing to swimming and waterpolo to diving, sailing, skiing, archery...literally something for everyone. It is certainly an experience I am finding hard not to colour my view in my choice between here and Glasgow...
    I wish I got paid for the PR I do for them, not just open days :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspired1178)
    Hey everyone,

I'm finding it difficult deciding between Glasgow and Dundee for medicine. What are people's opinions on the better uni in terms of quality of teaching and learning for medicine, accommodation, social night life, medic societies and the uni experience overall?

(Also not sure if Dundee has given out all their offers but If there people waiting to here back, good luck and I hope you get in)

Thanks
    There's a few people on here who know one or the other quite well, but from an outsider's perspective....

Glasgow is a more recognised university, and the city is world class: there is a huge variety in places to live and things to do and people to hang out with. The medical school uses a balanced mix of lectures and PBL, and Glasgow grads have fantastic time management. In terms of clinical exposure, Glasgow and west of Scotland has lots of interesting pathology to learn on. If you're from overseas or down south, it's extraordinarily well connected eg the airport is just 45 minutes away. Cheap.

However ... the med school seems very hands-off, and I get the impression that you're being taught by world-class researchers, but they're not necessarily brilliant educators. There is a very strict preclinical/clinical divide. The course is very big, so without a close group of friends you might end up at bit isolated.

For Dundee, the medical school seems 100% focused on making you a good junior doctor, and Dundee grads say that they feel the most prepared when they hit the wards. You're in with patients from the first week, I think. The staff, students, union, clubs, etc, seem incredibly warm and friendly. The town is manageable and really geared around the student experience, as well as green and peaceful. Very, very cheap.

But peaceful could equal boring. Compared with a bigger town like Glasgow, I wouldn't think there's a range of experiences beyond 'go to lectures and practicals, study, night out at the union, repeat'. A pain to get to from far afield.

So, depends what you're looking for: an immersive experience, or one where you can broaden your horizons. Speaking as someone who's already done a degree at a prestigious university with lacklustre teaching, and who's been choking on London bus fumes for the past couple of years, I'm looking forward to Dundee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivemed56)
    There's a few people on here who know one or the other quite well, but from an outsider's perspective....

Glasgow is a more recognised university, and the city is world class: there is a huge variety in places to live and things to do and people to hang out with. The medical school uses a balanced mix of lectures and PBL, and Glasgow grads have fantastic time management. In terms of clinical exposure, Glasgow and west of Scotland has lots of interesting pathology to learn on. If you're from overseas or down south, it's extraordinarily well connected eg the airport is just 45 minutes away. Cheap.

However ... the med school seems very hands-off, and I get the impression that you're being taught by world-class researchers, but they're not necessarily brilliant educators. There is a very strict preclinical/clinical divide. The course is very big, so without a close group of friends you might end up at bit isolated.

For Dundee, the medical school seems 100% focused on making you a good junior doctor, and Dundee grads say that they feel the most prepared when they hit the wards. You're in with patients from the first week, I think. The staff, students, union, clubs, etc, seem incredibly warm and friendly. The town is manageable and really geared around the student experience, as well as green and peaceful. Very, very cheap.

But peaceful could equal boring. Compared with a bigger town like Glasgow, I wouldn't think there's a range of experiences beyond 'go to lectures and practicals, study, night out at the union, repeat'. A pain to get to from far afield.

So, depends what you're looking for: an immersive experience, or one where you can broaden your horizons. Speaking as someone who's already done a degree at a prestigious university with lacklustre teaching, and who's been choking on London bus fumes for the past couple of years, I'm looking forward to Dundee!
    Thanks for your amazing reply, you've given me much to think over

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.