The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone else find Gold Standard pretty rubbish? I wish there was more stuff out there. I had to use university level textbooks for chemistry.

I was always thinking of buying the book but given I have des o'neill, I thought it didn't matter. Are the questions in the book Gamsat style ones?
Yeah, most, if not all, S3 guides are obsolete at this point -- people complain every sitting about the same thing, but there is no clear alternative prep material. I guess it's fairer this way in that the people with the most resources aren't at a huge advantage.

Also, the March and Sept are different exams, even if Acer no longer makes a distinction. From the trends of the past 3 years or so: Sept is typically Orgo-heavy, while March is reasoning/graph/calculation-heavy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 682
I sat the exam in Liverpool and I honestly thought the whole day was comical 😂 from the organisation, the staff, everyone rushing to the toilet at every chance. A guy in front of me kept getting his water bottle filled up by staff, kept blowing his nose and just being annoying!! S1 I thought was difficult because there were so many long paragraphs to read. Some of the answers were quite 'samey' like pessimistic and cynical 😡 I thought the questions for s2 were ok. I talked about antibiotic resistance, global warming and the war/refugee crisis for A, and then about medicine for B. Not original I know but the pressure is immense, I couldn't think of anything else. S3 was pretty horrendous. I hate chemistry and I can't believe how many of the same type of question I saw! The biology questions required no previous knowledge and I didn't feel like there were any quick wins. I made so many 'educated' guesses for s3. I'm really contemplating not even bothering to apply this year. This was my first attempt but I just kept thinking to myself after 'omg as if that just happened'. It was a massive shock to the system. Definitely need to be more prepared for March. Chemistry was just too much 😷

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm preparing for the GAMSAT in March. I'll be making use of a science tutor but just wondering who people think will be more valuable, chemistry or biology? (I can't afford both so one will be self taught).
Original post by ASupertramp
I'm preparing for the GAMSAT in March. I'll be making use of a science tutor but just wondering who people think will be more valuable, chemistry or biology? (I can't afford both so one will be self taught).

Definitely chemistry. Biology is mostly logic questions, and the information needed will probably be given.
Preparing for GAMSAT in March. Is 6 months enough time?

Done UKCAT twice already and... I'm frankly so over it... want to try something new.
Original post by neuromeg
Definitely chemistry. Biology is mostly logic questions, and the information needed will probably be given.

Chemistry it is. Thank you.
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Preparing for GAMSAT in March. Is 6 months enough time?

Done UKCAT twice already and... I'm frankly so over it... want to try something new.

I think recommendations are along the lines of:

6 months for a non-science graduate, and 3 months for a science graduate; although naturally, this varies person to person.
Original post by Zak1995
I think recommendations are along the lines of:

6 months for a non-science graduate, and 3 months for a science graduate; although naturally, this varies person to person.

Thank you! I'll start ASAP! I'm a science graduate but it would be good to start now*
Does anyone know if we have to manually add our gamsat scores to our ucas applications, or do acer email the universities for us ? Do we then need to email acer our personal id number ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pharma21
Does anyone know if we have to manually add our gamsat scores to our ucas applications, or do acer email the universities for us ? Do we then need to email acer our personal id number ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should have attached your UCAS ID to your GAMSAT account before the exam. Best to log into your account on Acer and see if you can still add it, or otherwise contact Acer and sort it with them. They send the results direct to your choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
You should have attached your UCAS ID to your GAMSAT account before the exam. Best to log into your account on Acer and see if you can still add it, or otherwise contact Acer and sort it with them. They send the results direct to your choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just logged in and was able to add my ucas ID. I also emailed them to check that would be sufficient to make sure it reaches the right places. Will post their reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saward1988
I just logged in and was able to add my ucas ID. I also emailed them to check that would be sufficient to make sure it reaches the right places. Will post their reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi where was the option to add your id? Ive logged in but cant find anywhere to add it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are on the mobile site if you go all the way to the bottom you should see your GAMSAT registration and be able to click on 'manage'. After that you should see a button under registration details that says 'edit'. After that page you can add it under additional information. It is the same process on the website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 695
Original post by pharma21

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year they messaged us before results were released but after the application deadline, instructing us to enter UCAS details. Perhaps it has changed. Also ACER sent an email about letting UCAS know that I want previous scores to be taken in to consideration. I have just added my personal ID (the one we get when we sign up to apply not the track one) on the website, should be fine.
Original post by saward1988
If you are on the mobile site if you go all the way to the bottom you should see your GAMSAT registration and be able to click on 'manage'. After that you should see a button under registration details that says 'edit'. After that page you can add it under additional information. It is the same process on the website.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice, found it thank you.
Original post by Cuts92
Last year they messaged us before results were released but after the application deadline, instructing us to enter UCAS details. Perhaps it has changed. Also ACER sent an email about letting UCAS know that I want previous scores to be taken in to consideration. I have just added my personal ID (the one we get when we sign up to apply not the track one) on the website, should be fine.

Are you sure its not the track one? reapplicants default back to the personal ID we were given in the previous application cycle and as far as I'm aware, its that one we use?
Original post by MedSchoolHope4
Are you sure its not the track one? reapplicants default back to the personal ID we were given in the previous application cycle and as far as I'm aware, its that one we use?

Possibly but in that case it wouldn't make much sense to allow us to enter our UCAS ID before the exam, since you have to be a graduate to sit it and thus would have a pre-existing ID that would change after the application was sent anyway. They said in an email after paying for GAMSAT registration that if you haven't entered your UCAS ID yet, do so before the exam date.

Maybe something to just clarify with them though, to avoid any simple mistakes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
Possibly but in that case it wouldn't make much sense to allow us to enter our UCAS ID before the exam, since you have to be a graduate to sit it and thus would have a pre-existing ID that would change after the application was sent anyway. They said in an email after paying for GAMSAT registration that if you haven't entered your UCAS ID yet, do so before the exam date.

Maybe something to just clarify with them though, to avoid any simple mistakes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, but just remember, people who are in their third year of university will take the test too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending