Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    did people get like 9% for hydrogen percentage of mass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeabeki)
    I put k[H+] for the new rate equation, if the concentration of propanal is so high so there's a massive excess, it won't limit the rate I think?
    I worked with the same logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeysimps11)
    Same mate, 99% sure its correct
    It cant be tertiary because that doesnt change colour in acidified potassium dichromate

ReputationRep:
    yes!

ReputationRep:
    Before I forget these are some of my answers, not saying they're right by any means though

ph values were something like 2.08, 2.32, 3.33
    for the salt/acid weird question i got 1.20
    9.09x10-3 for one question can't rememer which one
    9 peaks for the tick box question
    Last question I got the structure: CH3-O-C(CH3)2-CH2-CH2-OH

ReputationRep:
    I said the rate would be 100 times bigger but now I figured that there will not probably be enough H+ to react it with so it is limited the the miles of H+. I got it wrong😭😭😭😵😵

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting paper. 9 marks for that last question was so harsh, I said there's 5 peaks so there must be 5 Hydrogens in different environments, the absorption at X(forgot number) is caused by OH - alcohol

Think i lost 7 marks on it or more :-( I said it was a diol.

For the question about how to obtain alcohol from the reaction mixture I talked about fractional distallation.
    For the mark before that I said H2o with conc NaOH, I hope this is right :/

ReputationRep:
    Can we complain because that paper that was a completely different arrangement with questions id never seen before. Next year is the new spec not this year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I got
    (Original post by Suits101)
    9 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.ethers)
    Ok so for the last question we know it has to be a primary/secondary alcohol because of the dichromate reaction, but the O-H nmr peak was a singlet, suggesting the adjacent carbon to the alcohol group is itself bonded to no hydrogens. Therefore how can it be a primary or secondary alcohol??
    exactly!! didn't get it at all, i wrote down that it had to be primary or secondary but then forgot all about it aha! i think we will still get a few marks for our structyre though!

IF this helps anyone - I may be wrong

Equation involved products of CH3COO- and H3O+ (wouldn't be penalised for no reversible reaction sign) (1)

Equation involved products of CH3COOH2+ and NO3- (as above) (1)

pH = 2.something (2 marks)

pH = 2.something

pH = 3.33 (something around this?) (4 marks)

Ka = 9.09 x 10^-3 Units: mol^-1 dm3 (3 marks)

[salt]/[ethanoic acid] = 1.20 (3 - 1 mark for [H+] = 10^-4.48)

Chlorine atom is very electronegative and withdraws electron density from COO- ion (1)
    This makes COO- ion less negative and more stable and acidic (1)

Can't remember the last part of Q1

Random answers - may be wrong

9 peaks
    Proton b - had alkyl groups, electron releasing, lone pair more available to accept H+ (converse for proton a which had a benzene ring)
    Why use PGA: biodegradable so it can be hydrolysed due to polar bonds (C=O/C-O) so sutures will dissolve over time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaarrss)
    yes i got 9.4%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishabennett)
    Can we complain because that paper that was a completely different arrangement with questions id never seen before. Next year is the new spec not this year.
    this threw me as well

ReputationRep:
    loool that was just so hard, feel like I kept up as well as I could have and the low grade boundaries will keep my grade up

ReputationRep:
    VERY tough exam, a lot of awkward questions that don't typically come up.

I think that may just be the hardest CHEM4 paper I have came across, nevertheless I still think I done well - enough for an A anyways.

ReputationRep:
    I worked so hard for that exam. I hate AQA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaarrss)
    Yeah can't remember the exact number but definitely around 10%. Because it was something like (23 / 233) x 100.

ReputationRep:
    no one laugh but could it be

(ch3)3-c-o-ch2-ch2-o-h

i came up with that in two mins ((((((((

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeysimps11)
    Same mate, 99% sure its correct
    Can't be, it said it reacted to form a green solution with acidified potassium dichromate (VI) so it can't be a tertiary alcohol.
    But what I did get was similar: CH3 - O - C (CH3)2 - CH2 CH2 OH

ReputationRep:
    Could R be HOCH2COCH2CH(CH3)2 as it must not be a tertiary alcohol?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.