Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous_18)
    It questions was 'assess' which means 2 sides..talking about its limitations and how it isn't limited

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No this is wrong, it was one sided, you had to assess the limitations meaning you you state the limitation then asses to what extent it limits the court.

2 sided question would have been: 'To what extent is the Supreme Court limited?'

ReputationRep:
    thanks. btw, anyone answered the congress 45 marker? what did u guys write?

ReputationRep:
    ohhhhh so i am correct if i only mention the limitations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlimShady96)
    No this is wrong, it was one sided, you had to assess the limitations meaning you you state the limitation then asses to what extent it limits the court.

2 sided question would have been: 'To what extent is the Supreme Court limited?'
    Surely if you're assessing then you write it's limitations but also say how it isn't limited? Well that's what I did because my teacher said assess means 2 sides all the time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adriansiuyikto)
    ohhhhh so i am correct if i only mention the limitations?
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breadcrumss)
    Hi everyone I debating with my friends regarding the senate vs the House of Representatives
    For that were u meant to answer as 3 arguments in favour of the question or 2 for 1 against any help in answer this will be very much appreciated
    3 arguments for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politics AS)
    In the amendment questions- I got the prohibition amendment wrong- I put 19 and 21 instead of 18 and 21! Does this matter to much? I literally put it in brackets, but just curious
    It won't really have that much effect, not worth worrying over

ReputationRep:
    For the assess the SC one, I wrote:
    1. One limitation is that an amendment can overturn a court decision e.g. 16th amendment overturning Pollock BUT this is difficult to get the 2/3 in both houses so the limitation is really that strong
    2. Another limitation is court packing BUT Roosevelt failed and there is no notable examples of this happening so again limitation isn't that good.
    3. Lack of enforcement is a very strong limitation
    4. No powers of initiation is very strong limitation

I did them all with lots of examples - but only really 'assessed' two, is this okay? The last two I just said were very strong limitations and gave examples etc - what do you think I will do?

ReputationRep:

Assess questions are two sides?

ReputationRep:
    Can the constitution be a limitation on the supreme court?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adriansiuyikto)
    thanks. btw, anyone answered the congress 45 marker? what did u guys write?
    wrote about increased partisanship and its effects, foreign policy - "congress sleeping on the job", checks and balances to show they are still effective to some extent Talked about watchdog vs lapdog. Then about partisanship the fact they aren't fulfilling their constitutional roles - judiciary and executive took over (rights and war). 2013 gvt shutdown - 2010 obamacare and guantanomo bay opposition shows even in a united gvt they were ineffective in passing legislation. Checks and balances about effectiveness. Talked about the hearing of garland as well.
    It was basically why they are a broken branch right?

ReputationRep:
    Guys well done its over!!! Look forward to your other exams. I choked on the 3C paper and didn't manage my time properly in the exam (forgot my watch on Tuesday afternoon) and so only got 2 points for 2 15 markers Apart from that, the VP question today I kind of messed up but that's about it for the main bad highlights of politics for me this year I know I'm going to be worried until results day, but its important that we forget all of this and have fun over the summer! (going Turkey! xD)

Just quick shoutouts , had it not been for you guys I don't think I would of managed and I'm not just saying that. Pato1 had the best predictions possible, Plast12 had some of the best revision notes I have ever seen in my life, and all around you guys have been so kind and helpful when anyone needed help so thank you! I went into both exams with a night worth of revision and a few essay plans Pato predicted, and hopefully it turned out alright.

As for today's Presidency question, I basically finished my 1st paragraph (it seemed like an alright paragraph) but then came to the realisation that the question was essentially the same points for Imperial/Imperriled Presidency. My main points were:

Not Important - executive orders
    Not Important - executive privilages
    Not Important - increased foreign policy role
    Important - Congress funds executive orders
    Important - media coverage of executive privileges
    Important- laws are in place to limit President
    Important - lack of partisanship/ideological polarisation in Congress

Thanks for everything! <3

ReputationRep:
    I ran out of time to write the last sentence of my last point and conclusion on my 45 marker will i get penalised for that do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckym2)
    I ran out of time to write the last sentence of my last point and conclusion on my 45 marker will i get penalised for that do you think?
    If u did a judgement in ur paragraph and at the start of ur introduction u will be given credit for this and this shows the examiner what would have been put in ur conclusion. however not writing a conclusion will put limits on what mark will be given to u but they won't make u mark drop even further on the 45 marker than what they originally give and examiners are encouraged to mark nicely

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Can the constitution be a limitation on the supreme court?
    Limitation on its power?

Yes because it sets out the courts own powers like dealing with individual cases and not being able to initiate cases & sets out the Executive/Congress's power over the judiciary such as Impeachment etc

And

No, because the judiciary is free to interpret the constitution in its own way. So if me and you think flag burning should be illegal; it doesn't matter because the judiciary interpreted that as 'freedom of speech'.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    (Original post by Breadcrumss)
    If u did a judgement in ur paragraph and at the start of ur introduction u will be given credit for this and this shows the examiner what would have been put in ur conclusion. however not writing a conclusion will put limits on what mark will be given to u but they won't make u mark drop even further on the 45 marker than what they originally give and examiners are encouraged to mark nicely

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by procrastinator4)
    Limitation on its power?

Yes because it sets out Executive/Congress's power over the judiciary. Impeachment etc

And

No, because the judiciary is free to interpret the constitution in its own way. So if me and you think flag burning should be illegal; it doesn't matter because the judiciary interpreted that as 'freedom of speech'.
    I put that the constitution limits them as they can use only one outdated document. So an example is the 2nd amendment cannot be removed or used to promote liberal values, but rather can only strengthen conservative values, also conservative judges sometimes have to advance liberal values, so a conservative would not be for gay marriage, but due their 'strict constructionalist' approach to the constitution has to advance it as the constitution upholds it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyasdfghj)
    For the assess the SC one, I wrote:
    1. One limitation is that an amendment can overturn a court decision e.g. 16th amendment overturning Pollock BUT this is difficult to get the 2/3 in both houses so the limitation is really that strong
    2. Another limitation is court packing BUT Roosevelt failed and there is no notable examples of this happening so again limitation isn't that good.
    3. Lack of enforcement is a very strong limitation
    4. No powers of initiation is very strong limitation

I did them all with lots of examples - but only really 'assessed' two, is this okay? The last two I just said were very strong limitations and gave examples etc - what do you think I will do?
    It seems like u assessed 3 points by the sounds of it with points 1, 3 and 4 as in the mock I used that example for point 1 and I still got 12/15 on it, so yes it's okay and u should be in level 3

ReputationRep:
    Just realised i didnt'assess'
    For the limits on supreme court question I put:1.congress:can confirm,impeach and alter the number of judges - used as a threat when the new deal legislation came into place.2.President-Subjects potential candidates to FBI background checks and questionnaires - Harriet Miers withdrew,lack of experience.3.Lack of enforcement and initial powers - relied on president eisenhower to send in troops in the Brown Vs Topeka case.4.Public opinion - Roe Vs Wade-Many republicans disapproved arguing that the ' pro-choice'argument isn't valid as the baby doesn't have a choice.

ReputationRep:
    For limitations of Supreme Court, being nominated by president and confirmed by senate isn't correct, right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.