Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samijo)
    magyar you said that this is your second time applying, i hope you don't mind me asking but what did you do different this year from the last time?

Looks like mine has gone on to my second choice HOPand central dept, does anyone know how you find out if your other option has been successful, or roughly how long it usually takes?

Can't say i'm not disappointed in not getting DS, will apply again next year, but i still have hope with my other two options. Fingers crossed.

Congrads to all those who got their first choice.
    Your amber on HoP, unknown on central depts (you could have passed, you could be amber or you could have failed) - the process doesn't go to the next option until the current one has been decided on (no 'they' won't tell you).

In March that will be reassessed and final decision in April.

ReputationRep:
    So all is not lost then Quady?

ReputationRep:
    magyar you said that this is your second time applying, i hope you don't mind me asking but what did you do different this year from the last time?

Looks like mine has gone on to my second choice HOPand central dept, does anyone know how you find out if your other option has been successful, or roughly how long it usually takes?

Can't say i'm not disappointed in not getting DS, will apply again next year, but i still have hope with my other two options. Fingers crossed.

Congrads to all those who got their first choice.

Samijo, wasn't my second time, only my first! Feeling pretty chuffed that got through to DS FSB first time round!

Congrats to everyone who was successfull...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    This is a rather intriguing process this year. Mainly because there is quite likely to be a significant shift in numbers being recruited this year if the Diplomatic Services (25 to 48 vacancies) is anything to go by. There is also the small matter of an economic crisis which has always traditionally encouraged higher recruitment numbers on the part of the government. Does anyone have an idea of how this could work proportionally to the rest of the central departments vacancies available?
    interesting indeed. I had wondered if the rise in DS intake could be taken as an indicator that the total numbers would be high this year compared to others (hopefully). Reema, does what I said earlier make sense to you? perhaps those in the know can enlighten us further..

ReputationRep:
    Reema I noticed earlier that you are waiting for your second option HOP, when you phoned did they advise you as to what the procedure would be for people who did not qualify for their first choice?
    I meant the NGDP scheme not the FS (incidentally, I have just been invited to assessment centre with them, which I am thrilled about as I would like to do this just as much, if not more). But having said that, I did phone the Fast Stream people simply because I was curious about how the HoP thing worked, and I wanted to thank them for the loop system adjustments etc they made for me last week - deaf candidate alert . They said they didn't think they had set the pass marks yet, so I presume the moral is just not to read too much into the fact that HoP is still awaiting and DS isn't. Sadly .

And thank you Quady for the uplifting words! I feel much better right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolsharp)
    So all is not lost then Quady?
    Yes, unless you got a definate no. They don't keep people in amber if there's no chance :P

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ht=fast+stream

Amber was fine for many people last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonbar123)
    interesting indeed. I had wondered if the rise in DS intake could be taken as an indicator that the total numbers would be high this year compared to others (hopefully). Reema, does what I said earlier make sense to you? perhaps those in the know can enlighten us further..
    read what I put earlier about the first half

Your right on the second half (what you said before)
    then again only a third of people have been to FSAC so if your say 90th then your stuffed if your 25th then fine it doesn't tell you anything apart from 'your amber for DS but with better chances for central than someone out for DS but amber for central'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    read what I put earlier about the first half

Your right on the second half (what you said before)
    then again only a third of people have been to FSAC so if your say 90th then your stuffed if your 25th then fine it doesn't tell you anything apart from 'your amber for DS but with better chances for central than someone out for DS but amber for central'.
    got it. yeah, that helps settle me a little. right, I'm just gonna try and forget about it all for a few weeks..
    we'll see how that goes.
    good luck all
    J

ReputationRep:
    Allow me to add:

- my congratulations to everyone who has heard they were successful today
    - my commiserations to everyone who found out they were unsuccessful today - please don't let that put you off applying again.. many successful candidates only get through on their 2nd/3rd+ attempt.

For those who are still waiting/amber - I know its a long time but keep in there. just because you haven't heard yet, it doesn't mean you failed!

All of you did well, just to be invited to the FSAC - especially this year with the increased competition and whichever category you fall in, I urge you to read your FSAC feedback when available!

For some slightly worse news - I think that those who put Houses of Parliament as their second choice are unlikely to get that - not because you have/have not passed the mark to get to that particular FSB or the FSAC but simply due to the number of applications/places available for that option which means (I think) that they will favour those who put it as their first preference (though I could be wrong!).

However, the reason why some DS candidates are finding out now that they passed is that the first round of DS FSBs start in March, so the FCO need to set an initial cut off. I think the Parliamentary FSB is in May, so they can wait a lot longer before deciding their cut off/how many to interview.

(Original post by Reema)
    This is a rather intriguing process this year. Mainly because there is quite likely to be a significant shift in numbers being recruited this year if the Diplomatic Services (25 to 48 vacancies) is anything to go by. There is also the small matter of an economic crisis which has always traditionally encouraged higher recruitment numbers on the part of the government. Does anyone have an idea of how this could work proportionally to the rest of the central departments vacancies available?
    The Fast Stream (including the FCO) recruit according to business needs and their budgets - hence the sometimes sharply varying numbers they can recruit from year to year.

The economic crisis will have an impact as almost all government departments have been asked to find additional cost savings - having said that, most government departments do know what their budgets are likely to be for upto 3 years in advance which helps then in their planning.

I suspect that the number of civil servants over the next few years will be going downwards - regardless of who is in government - their were big increases in the number of public sector employees much earlier in the decade, when the economy was doing well.

I also know a lot of people in the FCO (and other govt depts) and the FCO currently have a shortage of people in the grade that Fast Streamers are recruited too (its a 'top heavy' organisation) - hence the increase in planned recruitment at this level for this year.

The FCO also has 'issues' with their internal recruitment process than other government departments otherwise I suspect more of these vacancies would be filled by internal candidates - but the number the FCO eventually recruit via the Fast Stream will have no bearing on the numbers that other government departments will want.. it will just mean that if you do get through to the DS FSB, it will be easier for you this year, compared to previous years.. - assuming they stick to their current recruitment plans.

ReputationRep:
    good post gt94!

ReputationRep:
    Wonder when starting date will be...september?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

First of all great thread, wish I had discovered it earlier. Anyway, that hasn't hindered my application so far and I have my assessment centre on the 31st. Kind of regretting my order of preferance though after reading several posts as I put diplomatic services first and houses of parliament second.

Going slightly off topic though, as my query is about my application form. When I initially registered way back in October I was doing a masters at soas in international studies and diplomacy due to finish later this year. I indicated this when registering. However in the period leading up to the application form (December) I had to defer due to financial reasons. I made it clear on the application form that I was doing a masters from 2009-2010 and my availability to start was October 2010. From what I understand though they don't actually look your application form until the next stage and I am slightly concerned that once they read my availability they will chuck my application out, especially considering the contradiction they will spot with my original registration. Can anyone shed any light on this though, as I am purely speculating.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question everyone. I am in the amber band. Diplomatic Service is my first choice and central departments as second, and my status is still 'awaiting results'. Might it say 'awaiting results' even if I have a score sufficient to be successful for central departments, because I'm borderline for DS? Or does it just mean, as I guess it does, that I'm borderline for central departments as well?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentadvice21)
    Quick question everyone. I am in the amber band. Diplomatic Service is my first choice and central departments as second, and my status is still 'awaiting results'. Might it say 'awaiting results' even if I have a score sufficient to be successful for central departments, because I'm borderline for DS? Or does it just mean, as I guess it does, that I'm borderline for central departments as well?

Many thanks
    As explained earlier, each option is assessed in turn. your applying for DS until your out of the range. At that point you move to the next choice.

Your still in the band for DS, central is at least amber too but you could have passed. Obviously your in a better position than someone amber for central having failed DS.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure that's the case. I emailed the Fast Stream asking them a similar thing and they replied with a different answer (particularly see the bold bit):

"Thank you for your message.

You are at "awaiting results" for both the Houses of Parliament and Central Departments options and therefore in the amber band for both of the options.

With Best Wishes
    Fast Stream Team

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 25 Feb 2009 12:19
    To: FastStream Team
    Subject: RE: FSAC Results

Dear Sir/ Madam,
    I would really appreciate it if you would please clarify something regarding the results.
    I currently have "Houses of Parliament" as my first choice, and "Central Departments" as my second (last) choice. I am Awaiting Results on both of them. As Houses of Parliament is my current top choice does that meant that the recently released "Immediately Successful" and "Immediately Unsuccessful" (and amber band) marks won't have been applied to my Central Departments application yet?
    If that is the case, is it possible to find out my placing without withdrawing from Houses of Parliament?
    Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Quick Question. Those that have HoP as their first choice do they also have something on their progress page for central departments because I'm sure I put CD down as my second choice but it doesnt say anything about it on my progress page.

Does that mean I accidently unticked it or something:?

ReputationRep:
    I think you're ok - mine just says HoP too. I was worrying about it a bit, so I checked by looking at my application (in the scheme progress bit, 'print application') and I've definitely got central on there as an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swami)
    Going slightly off topic though, as my query is about my application form. When I initially registered way back in October I was doing a masters at soas in international studies and diplomacy due to finish later this year. I indicated this when registering. However in the period leading up to the application form (December) I had to defer due to financial reasons. I made it clear on the application form that I was doing a masters from 2009-2010 and my availability to start was October 2010. From what I understand though they don't actually look your application form until the next stage and I am slightly concerned that once they read my availability they will chuck my application out, especially considering the contradiction they will spot with my original registration. Can anyone shed any light on this though, as I am purely speculating.
    I don't think it will make any difference - the Civil Service know that their application process takes a long time and that people's plans change.

Hence, they are usually quite good at agreeing to defer an entry for a year - especially if that individual is going to be doing something that the Civil Service may benefit from in the long run such as a masters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthiepie)
    I think you're ok - mine just says HoP too. I was worrying about it a bit, so I checked by looking at my application (in the scheme progress bit, 'print application') and I've definitely got central on there as an option.
    Ah, thanks
    Just looked at the print thing for mine and it does say central departments as second choice:-D

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gt94sss2)
    I don't think it will make any difference - the Civil Service know that their application process takes a long time and that people's plans change.

Hence, they are usually quite good at agreeing to defer an entry for a year - especially if that individual is going to be doing something that the Civil Service may benefit from in the long run such as a masters
    Cheers for the reply. I guess I need to stop worrying about it and just get preparing!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.