Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I agree, sounds promising that they haven't just left you a voicemail! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Oh no, I can't believe you missed it! Well the fact they didn't leave a voicemail saying you weren't successful is promising.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    I agree, sounds promising that they haven't just left you a voicemail! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I'm going to call first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    I got the job guys! So happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Whoohoo! I'm so happy for you too!

ReputationRep:
    Yay!! So happy for you after all the stress you've gone through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness! Congratulations! I've been checking back all day for news. I'm so happy for you! We're all still a happy little education family

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yay!! So pleased for you. Ypu deserve a break. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You need to do something to celebrate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Whoohoo! I'm so happy for you too!
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Yay!! So happy for you after all the stress you've gone through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Oh my goodness! Congratulations! I've been checking back all day for news. I'm so happy for you! We're all still a happy little education family

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yay!! So pleased for you. Ypu deserve a break. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You need to do something to celebrate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you guys! It's my birthday on Friday so this is excellent timing. I can't wait to start in September!

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling pretty low/annoyed (for a change!!) because I had an operation yesterday that I purposely arranged for the summer hols so it would be out of the way. It is a trial operation and they originally told me it would be in for 4-6 weeks, now they've said 8-10 weeks which is going to clash with me starting the new job!

I can work with it in (albeit not pleasantly) but when it gets taken out I need another operation for that which will be 2-3 days off work. I didn't want to start a new job and have to take time off as soon as I start so I'm just worried what that will look like now

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling pretty low/annoyed (for a change!!) because I had an operation yesterday that I purposely arranged for the summer hols so it would be out of the way. It is a trial operation and they originally told me it would be in for 4-6 weeks, now they've said 8-10 weeks which is going to clash with me starting the new job!

I can work with it in (albeit not pleasantly) but when it gets taken out I need another operation for that which will be 2-3 days off work. I didn't want to start a new job and have to take time off as soon as I start so I'm just worried what that will look like now
    There's not much you can do about it, really since we are all at the mercy of the NHS in these matters. I'd be inclined to tell the school about it right now, so that they can plan ahead and have no reason to think you have been withholding anything.

I am intrigued about what 'it' is that you can work with 'in' that will be taken 'out' but because I am sensitive adult, I am not going to ask....

ReputationRep:
    There's not much you can do about it, really since we are all at the mercy of the NHS in these matters. I'd be inclined to tell the school about it right now, so that they can plan ahead and have no reason to think you have been withholding anything.

I am intrigued about what 'it' is that you can work with 'in' that will be taken 'out' but because I am sensitive adult, I am not going to ask....
    Yeah, it should not be longer than a few days I'd need off. I'm going to give the hospital a ring first to see if I can have it sorted the week before term or not.

Haha, I am not bothered about saying. I have an overactive bladder which means I am constantly tired as I am up 10+ times a night so never sleep. It's also been in an issue in some lessons where I've had to leave 4 times in an hour. Luckily my old placement school were fine about it.

This is a trial for a device that sends electrical pulses to your bladder to stop telling it you need the loo. They do a trial before putting it in permanently, so I have wires coming out of my back and have to wear a box on my hip for however long they tell me I do :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm continuing to have my OMG I NEED TO PLAN MORE THINGS meltdown but I don't really have enough information to go on. I hate not knowing stuff. It sends my OCD into super duper overdrive.

And I need to disclose to OCD and anxiety of occupational health it that's making me even more anxious and twitchy.

Adulting and the insane responsibility for a subject at GCSE and A level seemed super exciting but now I'm freaking out a bit.

Yeah, it should not be longer than a few days I'd need off. I'm going to give the hospital a ring first to see if I can have it sorted the week before term or not.

Haha, I am not bothered about saying. I have an overactive bladder which means I am constantly tired as I am up 10+ times a night so never sleep. It's also been in an issue in some lessons where I've had to leave 4 times in an hour. Luckily my old placement school were fine about it.

This is a trial for a device that sends electrical pulses to your bladder to stop telling it you need the loo. They do a trial before putting it in permanently, so I have wires coming out of my back and have to wear a box on my hip for however long they tell me I do :/
    By the sound of it, it's going to be something that could potentially improve your experience in the classroom and that's definitely something the school will want to support you with. I'd let them know that this is happening, that you are at the mercy of the NHS but that it will make a massive difference to your comfort in class.

ReputationRep:
    And I need to disclose to OCD and anxiety of occupational health it that's making me even more anxious and twitchy.
    I have just filled in my occupational health and wow it always seems like I have a lot of problems. I had to declare my anxiety too, but I guess it's something that's gotta be done :dontknow: .

By the sound of it, it's going to be something that could potentially improve your experience in the classroom and that's definitely something the school will want to support you with. I'd let them know that this is happening, that you are at the mercy of the NHS but that it will make a massive difference to your comfort in class.
    Yeah, this is true. I have just rang the hospital and they said they will be able to give me a final date in about three weeks so I may just hang on until then and ring the college as soon as I get the final date, as it may not even effect term time with a bit of luck.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I visited my employing school yesterday evening for a new staff meal and school concert, which was a really nice evening. I also got my timetable - Monday and Friday mornings I have periods 1 and 2 off, which is really nice. And it seems like most of my frees are either doubles or before or after lunch, which is nice. I'm teaching science KS4/5 and maths KS3, which gives me a nice range of ages and topics to cover. Definitely really happy to have both science and maths on my timetable as well!

I also found out I'm a year 12 form tutor officially, which should be interesting seeing as I'm not really that much older then them. I've had limited contact with sixth form so far, so I think one of the big challenges next year will be presented by my IB higher level Physics Class, the Extended Essays i supervise and my form. I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time it all seems to real (and close to happening) now.

That's brilliant news! Now after all the hard work you can relax.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys! It's my birthday on Friday so this is excellent timing. I can't wait to start in September!
    To add to everyone, congratulations! I'm so happy you got the job, and best of luck with it (It sounds like it's just what you want so yay!!).

I agree with Carnationlilyrose, may as well tell them asap that it might happen. Then if it does, they will be prepared, and it it happens before term it will be a pleasant surprise for them .

You never know when slots come up due to cancellations etc. It's very hard to know with the NHS! Trust me, the school will not mind. Teachers are very good at feeling guilty for having time off, so SLT and other staff are usually pretty good at convincing you it's OK.

xxx

ReputationRep:

Crumbs! That sounds like a big deal! Hope it goes well. I'd tell the school about it just in case there's any chance of being put in a classroom nearer the loo than otherwise.

ReputationRep:

You already did, darling!

P.S. I am intrigued too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    You already did, darling!

P.S. I am intrigued too.
    But subtly, I thought....

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to barge in, I've been catching up over the past few days and this looks like a lovely, supportive environment. I am due to begin an Early Primary PGCE at the University of Birmingham in September, and after battling severe anxiety during my final undergraduate year, I'm really concerned about coping with such an intense year. I'm a bit of a perfectionist (typical Virgo!) and put a huge amount of pressure on myself, alongside doubting everything I do, not an ideal mix at all. As much as I want to teach, I have had serious doubts about whether I will manage during PGCE, so to see so many people here have had similar issues and reached the end is reassuring. I just wondered if anyone has any advice or recommendations on how to deal with/manage anxiety with the intensity and pressure of balancing everything? Or if anyone has experienced this course at Birmingham and can advise how supportive the department is? My undergraduate degree was at Wolverhampton and I struggled on my own during the first two years only to have a breakdown during dissertation. While I received support from tutors and counselling, I can't help but think that having that support before things got so bad may have prevented the breakdown. Apologies for the ramble, I do tend to waffle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach.elizabeth)
    Sorry to barge in, I've been catching up over the past few days and this looks like a lovely, supportive environment. I am due to begin an Early Primary PGCE at the University of Birmingham in September, and after battling severe anxiety during my final undergraduate year, I'm really concerned about coping with such an intense year. I'm a bit of a perfectionist (typical Virgo!) and put a huge amount of pressure on myself, alongside doubting everything I do, not an ideal mix at all. As much as I want to teach, I have had serious doubts about whether I will manage during PGCE, so to see so many people here have had similar issues and reached the end is reassuring. I just wondered if anyone has any advice or recommendations on how to deal with/manage anxiety with the intensity and pressure of balancing everything? Or if anyone has experienced this course at Birmingham and can advise how supportive the department is? My undergraduate degree was at Wolverhampton and I struggled on my own during the first two years only to have a breakdown during dissertation. While I received support from tutors and counselling, I can't help but think that having that support before things got so bad may have prevented the breakdown. Apologies for the ramble, I do tend to waffle!
    My best advice would be let them know about any issues like this asap. Remember these are people that work in education, mostly ex teachers or even current on a break teachers so they on the whole should be understanding and supportive. All the tutors on my course certainly were.

Talk to others on your course to help you see that everyone is having similar stresses, it really helps!

Brace yourself for the says when they explain lots (first few days and placement prep days). These are fun and exciting, especially the first few days of the course (which are way less nerve wracking than you expect in the days before you start), but you also get a lot of information which can be overwhelming I.e. ONLY 14 DAYS TILL I GO ON PLACEMENT!!!!! or I HAVE TO DO 20 HOURS A WEEK?!?!?! or HOW MANY ESSAYS?!?!. But actually, when you do it, they do it small steps at a time and ease you in to it. They just give you all the information so you know what's coming. So try to keep calm in those and just focus on the things you need to do now, the others will come as you go along.

Also good luck, and have fun. Early years is amazing

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.