This discussion is closed.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Is 'there' meant to be they're or their...?
Their
Or there are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)

One can have fun when one is not in school.
But they are in school almost all the time... Have you heard from LTG about what kong kong is like? Children are under constant pressure.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
But they are in school almost all the time... Have you heard from LTG about what kong kong is like? Children are under constant pressure.
Damn right
At least in Asia they get proudly educated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Damn right
At least in Asia they get proudly educated

Posted from TSR Mobile
And yes they are smart but at what cost? If it hurts them socially and messes up their life is it worth it?
We in Britain are the unhappiest country in Europe, raising a country of worker bees isn't gonna help.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
And yes they are smart but at what cost? If it hurts them socially and messes up their life is it worth it?
We in Britain are the unhappiest country in Europe, raising a country of worker bees isn't gonna help.
Of we were raising either bees most people world finish school after primary
The education system is failing or children, of isn't taking them, until Gove it was just set to to give slightly better results every year, even as standards fell, just so the government can say "according to these arbitrary statistics kids are getting smarter"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Jammy Duel what?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Jammy Duel what?
Try to be more specific, CBA explaining every sentence if I don't need to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Gove wasn't all perfect with education, the DofE actually dumbed down some A Level subjects:

http://www.theguardian.com/education...iculum-debased

Which is beyond stupid. Philosophy is a very respectable A Level and to remove core works from it is beyond mad.
---
And I've just noticed on BBC website they're having to rewrite exam papers for Maths because they've been made too hard. I get that English and Mathematical skills are important, but the overemphasis on them by Gove was horrendous.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
Could even be 'there' just missing a comma afterwards
Still grammatically incorrect either way...
(Original post by Aph)
As bun said I forgot the comma.
Ahh ok
Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Needs2Achieve)
Hows everyones exams go today?
Kinda bleurgh. How did yours go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
Ahoy-hoy all, just a bit of heads up i'm essentially packing this place in/retiring from any active role in the coming week of transition for the party. I've been thinking of this for a while for a fair few reasons; mainly due to growing disillusionment with TSR, the MHoC and the inevitable disappearance of the people I knew best The Great Repeal Act and our crummy election results have only added to this, so it's probably best for some new blood to lead the way and enjoy themselves. Also work is really digging into my time :lol:

I may post in the bar from time to time but i'll not be doing much else. I believe Republic1 is also calling it a day as well but i'll let him type his own leaving stuff
You and Republic were a great help to me when I joined the MHoC. It'll be sad to see the two of you go.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Still grammatically incorrect either way...

Ahh ok
I was actually having another dig - presumed he meant one of your suggestions... that's how clear the sentence evidently was
Case in point that good grammar is actually vitally important.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)

Which is beyond stupid. Philosophy is a very respectable A Level and to remove core works from it is beyond mad.
Played, sir. You nearly had me there. You made the minor flaw of pretending Philosophy is an academic subject.

It's respectable 'ish' but it's not Sciences / maths / a language (inc. Eng)
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
Played, sir. You nearly had me there. You made the minor flaw of pretending Philosophy is an academic subject.

Personally I would put philosophy above languages because, while it pains me to say so as a mathematician, philosophy is vitality important, even if a bit whacky at times

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
I was actually having another dig - presumed he meant one of your suggestions... that's how clear the sentence evidently was
Case in point that good grammar is actually vitally important.
I didn't think it would be the comma either... so yeh, agree with you on the clarity!

And yes, good grammar and spelling is so very important, in and some cases, essential to convey the correct meaning...
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Personally I would put philosophy above languages because, while it pains me to say so as a mathematician, philosophy is vitality important, even if a bit whacky at times

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only a philosopher could come up with that
I'm not on about the general importance (though Id argue languages are 10x more important) but the academic rigour of the A-level. Anyone with half a brain can get an A in Philosophy. The only subjects that are properly challenging are Languages, further maths, chemistry and physics. History, English and Biology also respectable and academic, but not quite so challenging.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
I'm not on about the general importance (though Id argue languages are 10x more important) but the academic rigour of the A-level. Anyone with half a brain can get an A in Philosophy. The only subjects that are properly challenging are Languages, further maths, chemistry and physics. History, English and Biology also respectable and academic, but not quite so challenging.
But philosophy as an academic field...
As I said, as a mathematician or pains me to say so, but even we wouldn't be able to do much without philosophy and one could argue that I am really a philosopher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
I'm pleased to hear that 4 of my A-levels fit in your "properly challenging" category.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)

In university, philosophy is one of the most employable humanities you can take. It develops an extraordinary amount of critical thinking and 'argumentative' skills and has had a very profound place in society for thousands and thousand of years.

You can sit here like most people do and think that "yeah sure it's a bit hard but it's just a bit useless", or you can recognise that philosophers have thought of astounding ideas over thousands of years. Science essentially came out of philosophy as did politics.

The naivety people have towards philosophy a level + degree is absurd sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjWou-SAoi4

From 2:00 - onwards, the first three facts will tell you that philosophy is not unacademic.
Needs2Achieve
Badges: 6
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anon_98)
Kinda bleurgh. How did yours go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankfully I didn't have any today, I don't have any for another 11 days but unfortunately I've 5 in 4 days starting beginning of June 😪
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads