Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Some idiot put one of the learning objectives of PBL as the mechanism of action of ibuprofen. And I got assigned it. ATM it seems like I'm reading French lol (even on wiki). Any ideas? And I also got "in what cases does ibuprofen fail to reduce swelling * dead*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishman129)
    Some idiot put one of the learning objectives of PBL as the mechanism of action of ibuprofen. And I got assigned it. ATM it seems like I'm reading French lol (even on wiki). Any ideas? And I also got "in what cases does ibuprofen fail to reduce swelling * dead*
    What exactly regarding the mechanism confuses you? I'm suspecting you haven't done much arachidonic acid-prostaglandin stuff yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishman129)
    Look at the pathways of inflammation, and the factors/chemicals/things involved. Then look at which things correlate with what you're reading on wiki - ie which things is ibuprofen inhibiting. Also - COX *snigger*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Also - COX *snigger*
    COX! I've taken to shouting this whenever the subject comes up. I am a very mature 20.

ReputationRep:
    I've never felt like this, but there are some applicants in the main medical forum I just want to hit in the face.

Have you seen that thread about how intense the medical degree is? I hope to God most of these are trolls.

EDIT: I just noticed some of them have managed to leak into this forum. FUUUUUUUU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    It's a shame my upcoming paeds/GP/derm exam
    Aren't you intercalating in Surgical Sciences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Aren't you intercalating in Surgical Sciences?
    Nope - I has that already!
    I'm a true 4th year (i.e. if I were at gimpy or I guess Oxbridge I'd say 5th year?)

ReputationRep:
    Drunk as ive ever been. aparentaly i was shouting the knights who say niii bit on the bus then passed out good night then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Drunk as ive ever been. aparentaly i was shouting the knights who say niii bit on the bus then passed out good night then.
    Good work!
    • PS Helper

(Original post by malaz_197)
    have any of you seen this? things haven't changed apart from bare below the elbow!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWjAeAa52o
    That actually looks like a hysterical film to watch, seeming as it's a casual saturday afternoon, why not eh.

(Original post by crazylemon)
    I liked on call. Did my first abg and got it first tIme without the patient yelping.
    But I am so tired.

I have a 1:30 hour commute with no accom. It has been exhausting the las 8 weeks.

And next time is worse possibly...not living south of the river next year!
    My F2 let myself and another student practice ABG's on him.. I'm quite curious to see how much it actually hurts tbh. (I say this, yet I wouldn't practise subcut injections on myself. haha.

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    Will be atleast an hour commute for me for my next rotation (Woolwich for Neuro and Psych), with no accomm. Will be a definite change from this, whereas I'd personally rather remain here all year!

I enjoy the on calls too (sorry docs!), but didn't get to go on the one I planned to do yesterday evening because of some folks on our firm being rather competitive and not caring if someone else had planned to organise it first. Much rage.
    What do you do on call? Ours seem so boring, unfortunately!

ReputationRep:
    We practised putting cannulae into each other. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Good work!
    Talisker. It's a high class hangover.

ReputationRep:
    Talisker. It's a high class hangover.
    :rofl:

Superb!

(Although I'm taking my whiskey more seriously and it's a challenge to get drunk on £100 a bottle whiskey even if it is ****ing brilliant)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)

Superb!

(Although I'm taking my whiskey more seriously and it's a challenge to get drunk on £100 a bottle whiskey even if it is ****ing brilliant)
    I take your Jura and raise you this (though he promises he didn't pay that much for it!

When are you coming round for whisky tasting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    When are you coming round for whisky tasting?
    I believe I have a free weekend in February...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)

Superb!

Nice. I'm going to have to work up to that sort of thing. I only started drinking whisky in the summer so my appreciation is limited to being able to differentiate between Dalwhinnie and Talisker.

ReputationRep:
    Nice. I'm going to have to work up to that sort of thing. I only started drinking whisky in the summer so my appreciation is limited to being able to differentiate between Dalwhinnie and Talisker.
    I'm not a Talisker fan, really. I much prefer Highland and Speyside malts. Which probably makes me a bit of a girl, but I think that's allowed. :p:

My parents actually have a really nice Welsh whisky.

ReputationRep:
    dude, I'm still nursing my hangover. only left this spot to vom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I'm not a Talisker fan, really. I much prefer Highland and Speyside malts. Which probably makes me a bit of a girl, but I think that's allowed. :p:

My parents actually have a really nice Welsh whisky.
    Penderyn whiskey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phryx)
    Penderyn whiskey?
    Probably, it's the only Welsh whiskey I can think of. The bloke who started making it gave a talk about it at our school in a PSE lesson years back.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.