The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eboracum

I had a crack at E&Y, fell at the first hurdle (tests). Ridiculous how competitive these grad schemes are. Why can't they just ask everyone to send in a cv and give them an interview! I applied for Audit in B'ham. I thought, nobody will want to be an Auditor or work in B'ham...not the case it seems!

I feel you man. Annoying when it's always you who has to send the first Facebook message. It's really annoying with girls as well, makes it good when you get the occasional message from them saying they want to catch up.

Ah unlucky man, maybe next time. Yeah Audit is one of hardest to crack. The online tests just are practise, more applications you do the better you'll get. I've turned my back on Finance career for the moment, something that I'd always been fixated on. The deadlines next week but it's too saturated tbh, and only the elite get it anyway. I've plumped for tax Auditing, will qualify and then maybe either have a crack at IB or just work for a few years, eventual aim is own business though.

Yeah I've made a points not to text girls first now (unless urgent of course) as then they get into a mindset that you're there to be trodden on, and this works well for me- it's them who has to do the chasing not me which is the way I like it. Would rather not play mind games but you have to...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eboracum

Appreciate the regular appearances in your signature. I hope it's for the right reasons.

It's always hard to keep in touch with people man. I've found really high quality people are a rare breed, and some friends are just out of convenience. I lived abroad for a year and I miss some great friends I made out there terribly. You meet people through life who you say you'll keep in touch with but it often doesn't happen.

For the right reasons. Agree with what you said in my sig.

It's very hard to find high quality people. Maybe I need to also look in myself, personally I'm just able to see through the nonsense. Or maybe not give people enough of a chance. I have made good friends from university. Maybe the problem is that I see their faults. I don't like very in your face people, great when people message me or call me, but not too much in my face.
Original post by LosingDogs
Ah unlucky man, maybe next time. Yeah Audit is one of hardest to crack. The online tests just are practise, more applications you do the better you'll get. I've turned my back on Finance career for the moment, something that I'd always been fixated on. The deadlines next week but it's too saturated tbh, and only the elite get it anyway. I've plumped for tax Auditing, will qualify and then maybe either have a crack at IB or just work for a few years, eventual aim is own business though.

Yeah I've made a points not to text girls first now (unless urgent of course) as then they get into a mindset that you're there to be trodden on, and this works well for me- it's them who has to do the chasing not me which is the way I like it. Would rather not play mind games but you have to...

I'm just starting to wonder whether or not it is worth giving up on the graduate schemes, just because of how competitive it is. I mean reading that for some of the top schemes, it's 1 out of 150+ is just scary. And they are usually all 2:1 RG candidates anyway, that's just the basic.

I dunno man, it's pretty depressing being in third year. Sometimes I feel my brain doesn't match my ambition. Like I want to apply for all these schemes, for an MA at UCL/LSE, but I only got a low 2:1 in second year, so I question if I am up to to. It's like I wouldn't want to London Met because compared to UCL they are seen by others as Mickey Mouse because I want the prestige of an MA UCL/LSE on my CV you know? It's hard not to buy into it man. :frown:

Indeed. Generally I also find, if there is a girl you like and you want more but she friendzone's you, I just bin them off and never speak to them again, as it's painful man. Also feels quite good to do actually.

Original post by jam277

It's very hard to find high quality people. Maybe I need to also look in myself, personally I'm just able to see through the nonsense. Or maybe not give people enough of a chance. I have made good friends from university. Maybe the problem is that I see their faults. I don't like very in your face people, great when people message me or call me, but not too much in my face.

I find this Jam as well. Generally I'm not suited to the young person life in 2014 of execcsive parties, drinking and girls that are featherheads/drifters. I'd rather a 5/10 with a top personality than a 9/10 with a hot bod. 90% of people I just don't tend to like, both as friend or gf material. I'm feeling pretty depressed now third year has started Jam and I don't know how to control it. How did you feel this time last year? :frown:
TFW you haven't got food at home but only basic ingredients so google recipes to try and salvage some food

You can make a ****ing cake with just a nutella jar and 4 eggs. A ****ING CAKE. it's completely safe and actually tastes good (Brownies too)

But then I came across another discovery. If any of you like hot chocolate, get a hot cup of milk and literally just add 2 spoons of nutella in and mix. IT'S GORGEOUS
Original post by So Instinct
That's pretty cheap tbh, both of you that is. She's dumb for sending it to you in the first place though I will admit.

Know that feeling man. Problem is in the situation you don't often appreciate what you have until you lose it, like you I learned the hard way. Though t least you've learnt from the mistake, are a better friend for it and will appreciate it next time you find that person, I would go as far as to say that makes the mistake worth it. A wise man once said the man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.

I got **** going on, fun to manipulate her and vent my anger like that. **** of me but it's like a game and I've got some mad combo multiplier streak

Idk if it actually is worth making - people like that are rare man, people who you can ring at 3am and they'll bike across half of London to come help you. And given how life contrives to split people up because of geography, work, study etc, it makes them really rare. In my case I haven't ****ed up in a single event etc and lost them, I've just drifted and idk why. Probs gonna have to repent and indirectly ask for forgiveness and get that trust / level of friendship back.
With women the best way is to just cut to the chase as quickly as possible. In clubs especially. No point faffing around and playing mind games. Life is too short and precious for that.
Do we feel that this kind of, almost, apathy for friendship is something that's brought us all together onto TSR and threads like this? Most of us have been using TSR for years and it's probably felt a routine thing to all of us at some point - and kinda makes it incomprehensible to me that other people don't have a platform like this? Where do non-users go to discuss fairly (by pub standards at least) in depth football tactics, or to air their views on politics and conspiracy theories and relationships etc? Like I have a lot of friends that I can talk about anything with, but rarely in the more considered / formalised medium of TSR. People seem too immature to usually discuss a lot of the more 'grown up' topics that come up on this thread and throughout the site. Do non TSR users not feel the need to share their opinions like this? Or do they have friends who they talk to in a grown up manner about this kind of stuff, and we're just here because we don't have friends like that?
What do we feel about relationships which start with one person being the 'rescuer'? I met a girl, we both like each other, and she's in a really **** place right now, getting heavily abused at home and stuff. I've been looking up how to help her and I think I can.

Anyway so imagine it all works out. She'll, somewhat rightfully, feel indebted to me for the rest of her like for helping her like that. Won't that kind relationship dynamic be awful? Where she will take any kind of **** I do just because I saved her years ago? Where she won't break up with me because she'll still need me as a pillar in her life? For what it's worth I secretly like the idea of rescuing someone, I'm just concerned about what happens going forward if me and her don't work out. Worth a thread of its own maybe?
Original post by New Slavess
Do we feel that this kind of, almost, apathy for friendship is something that's brought us all together onto TSR and threads like this? Most of us have been using TSR for years and it's probably felt a routine thing to all of us at some point - and kinda makes it incomprehensible to me that other people don't have a platform like this? Where do non-users go to discuss fairly (by pub standards at least) in depth football tactics, or to air their views on politics and conspiracy theories and relationships etc? Like I have a lot of friends that I can talk about anything with, but rarely in the more considered / formalised medium of TSR. People seem too immature to usually discuss a lot of the more 'grown up' topics that come up on this thread and throughout the site. Do non TSR users not feel the need to share their opinions like this? Or do they have friends who they talk to in a grown up manner about this kind of stuff, and we're just here because we don't have friends like that?

Because of the culture and especially because the people in uni these days are of the era that was brought up in solitude and computerized/mobile communication... people are socially inept. I am 23 so I am a little bit older, but generally people growing up these days stay in their rooms with their ipads/computer games and don't even talk to their familes. So how can we expect them to talk to relatively unknown people in a comfortable human manner? They can buy some nice clothes and look cool sure and have some conversational skills of course, but they generally lack warmth and humanity.
Also I like clinginess, because I fall for girls too quickly haha. Like I can dump and get new ones pretty quickly with little stress, but I fall for all of them so quick. I'm never clingy myself but I love it when they are. Thats weird
SUG is one of few guys on here I wouldn't want to know irl, sounds like a complete nut job. Spouts some pseudo intellectual crap from time to time but from his posts I can just tell he borders on the unstable akin to your typical junkie. Zurich acts like a dick on the football threads but he sounds decent when he posts non football related things. Would be interesting to see what he's like irl.

Closest friends of mine are those I grew up with at school, from like year 7. We still talk and see each other during the hols even after 12 years since we first met even though we all work in different fields and in different places.

Friends at uni aren't that close except for maybe 2. The rest I could live without talking to for the rest of my life tbf (even though I wouldn't want to ofc). I'm not the kind to shun people out of my life but then again I can recognise when someone isn't taking the effort to keep in touch so I have no problem in reciprocating that same sentiment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isometrix just rekt man. Stress.

Just had a phone interview for a recruitment role. Just didn't know what to say, it was so ****ing sudden. Literally 5mins after sending the application I got a phone call. Wtf no preparation whatsoever... Guess that's recruitment for you. I'm 100% sure I'm not getting that job. Was so nervous. Minor though onto the next one. Should be better next time round.

They said by Friday I should know so oh well.
Original post by jam277
Isometrix just rekt man. Stress.

Just had a phone interview for a recruitment role. Just didn't know what to say, it was so ****ing sudden. Literally 5mins after sending the application I got a phone call. Wtf no preparation whatsoever... Guess that's recruitment for you. I'm 100% sure I'm not getting that job. Was so nervous. Minor though onto the next one. Should be better next time round.

They said by Friday I should know so oh well.

Recruitment lol.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Recruitment lol.

Why lol. Genuinely interested as to the problems there?
Not really here to take shots cos I'm happy, but isometrix flirted on Mangela/Miel Purple's wall and via PM and then tries to take shots at others? Lol.
Because of the culture and especially because the people in uni these days are of the era that was brought up in solitude and computerized/mobile communication... people are socially inept. I am 23 so I am a little bit older, but generally people growing up these days stay in their rooms with their ipads/computer games and don't even talk to their familes. So how can we expect them to talk to relatively unknown people in a comfortable human manner? They can buy some nice clothes and look cool sure and have some conversational skills of course, but they generally lack warmth and humanity.

But warmth and humanity is not what I'm getting at, what I mean is that do other people not find the need for some kind of intellectual discussion, or do they just get that to a satisfactory standard in their daily lives
Original post by jam277
Why lol. Genuinely interested as to the problems there?

They're all ****ing cowboys.
They're all ****ing cowboys.

Explain cowboys?
Original post by New Slavess

I think this place would be better off non-moderated, or at least loosely so no illegal or disturbing **** can be posted. Seems to me it's a cesspool, it's almost an escape from life's ****. So sure we may not know each other personally, or at all really, but in some strange ****** way, we're all linked by a common denominator- life. We allow ourselves to detach from emotional bias and problems within our worlds and just, well, post freely and without consequence, something which means we can express ourselves really, our true views and opinions in a manner that we've never done before, certainly not to our friends and family. In a way guys, we know each other better than anyone else does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7039
Y'all need Jesus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest