This discussion is closed.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I'm pleased to hear that 4 of my A-levels fit in your "properly challenging" category.
Shame it's only 4

Posted from TSR Mobile
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
But philosophy as an academic field...
As I said, as a mathematician or pains me to say so, but even we wouldn't be able to do much without philosophy and one could argue that I am really a philosopher

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree there. What I'm saying is that the A-level isn't academically challenging.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
Only a philosopher could come up with that
I'm not on about the general importance (though Id argue languages are 10x more important) but the academic rigour of the A-level. Anyone with half a brain can get an A in Philosophy. The only subjects that are properly challenging are Languages, further maths, chemistry and physics. History, English and Biology also respectable and academic, but not quite so challenging.
And once again this is wrong. A grades in A Level philosophy are incredibly hard to achieve because the course is so demanding (well... was, if it's been dumbed down).

For example, the AQA board (the only ones to do solely Philosophy) results:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2014.PDF

Less people achieve A* in philosophy than they do AQA Physics, Biology and Chemistry.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
I agree there. What I'm saying is that the A-level isn't academically challenging.
Did you do it or even have a good look at it? Or are you basing that on stereotypes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anon_98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Needs2Achieve)
Thankfully I didn't have any today, I don't have any for another 11 days but unfortunately I've 5 in 4 days starting beginning of June 😪
Ahh well thats good!
😭😭😭Thats terrible, Im sorry!!- 5! What are they playing at -huh?!¿

Posted from TSR Mobile
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you do it or even have a good look at it? Or are you basing that on stereotypes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a go at one of the past papers, as a friend was studying it at another school. Got a C according to him. Which having not studied it at all isn't too bad and suggests anyone with a bit of basic reasoning skills can achieve a good grade if they top that up with studying the subject for a year or 2.
Don't get me wrong, it's not a 'non-academic' subject like PE or art, but it's certainly not up there with languages, maths, physics and chemistry. Though as I say, I do find the concept of it, and the degree to be fairly academic and very important.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
And once again this is wrong. A grades in A Level philosophy are incredibly hard to achieve because the course is so demanding (well... was, if it's been dumbed down).

For example, the AQA board (the only ones to do solely Philosophy) results:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2014.PDF

Less people achieve A* in philosophy than they do AQA Physics, Biology and Chemistry.
Just means thickos study it. English language B according to that must be one of the most challenging based on lack of A* grades, and that's total nonsense. I got full marks in it and know quite a few others who did, too. And many more who got As. The problem with humanities is the subjectivity (and bias) of the markers.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
Just means thickos study it. English language B according to that must be one of the most challenging based on lack of A* grades, and that's total nonsense. I got full marks in it and know quite a few others who did, too. And many more who got As. The problem with humanities is the subjectivity (and bias) of the markers.
Not necessarily. What had to be considered is the nature of the papers. Maths and the sciences are easy to do well in because, generally, you're either right or wrong, in the humanities you get MASSIVE ambiguity and far greater variance from marker to marker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not necessarily. What had to be considered is the nature of the papers. Maths and the sciences are easy to do well in because, generally, you're either right or wrong, in the humanities you get MASSIVE ambiguity and far greater variance from marker to marker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's exactly what I've just said.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
That's exactly what I've just said.
Shush
I've had a lot to drunk y (having a few days break given my next Evan is best Thursday and I can easily learn modules in a day or two)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
Just means thickos study it.
Oh please do explain how so.

English language B according to that must be one of the most challenging based on lack of A* grades, and that's total nonsense. I got full marks in it and know quite a few others who did, too.
Congratulations. So the fact you 'know a handful of people' now means you are able to actively make an assumption about every single person who took that English exam.

The problem with humanities is the subjectivity (and bias) of the markers.
For crying out loud... subjectivity... this isn't bloody Art & Design. In philosophy you have to learn a set number of arguments and ideas and you have to explain/analyse/etc. them in a very specific and logical way.

One of the main reasons philosophy is so difficult is because the emphasis upon essay writing is huge and so many people lose marks because they fail to explain something correctly, or they don't link arguments together concisely, or they are unable to recall the whole argument and so on. You have to think about every single sentence you write incredibly carefully and that is not something easily done by the most intelligent at times.

Philosophy is not a subject studied by thickos. Anyone who takes philosophy will understand in the first few weeks, if you are not good then you should drop it and most of them have the common sense too.
--
God I don't even know why I'm attempted to reason with a person who is clearly so adamant that STEM subjects are the only ones worth it :rolleyes:
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-32831905

How sad. The exam board is dumbing down the coming Maths exam.

If we can't compete with comparable exams in South Korea and Singapore then change the damn teaching.
A non - story, the exam papers could have been written in a way too challenging for the syllabus. As a one off, could be a mistake.

Do schools operate with a rough bell curve for grades still?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
A non - story, the exam papers could have been written in a way too challenging for the syllabus. As a one off, could be a mistake.

Do schools operate with a rough bell curve for grades still?
Have you looked at the exam results?!

And a this of it isn't a job story, it's chucked up that one of the Austin requires calculus to do proudly when our education secretaries are still too stupid to put it on the GCSE syllabus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it is too hard for the current lot of students, then it is logical to, in your words, "dumb it down" (lol).

Unless you wish to have pupils taught a wealth of information within 6 weeks then I don't think there are any other alternatives. The government should focus more on teaching a more difficult curriculum next year if they somehow view this as a drastic problem.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Needs2Achieve)
I don't do medical stuff but was it that hard?
Think of it like sitting an exam on Hitler's Germany and not being asked a single question involving Jews, Blitzkrieg or anything well known. But very obscure questions like which army brigade he was in or the school he studied Art at.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
If it is too hard for the current lot of students, then it is logical to, in your words, "dumb it down" (lol).

Unless you wish to have pupils taught a wealth of information within 6 weeks then I don't think there are any other alternatives. The government should focus more on teaching a more difficult curriculum next year if they somehow view this as a drastic problem.
The questions agent hard though!!!
We just live in s system since the 80s with the introduction of GCSEs where you make the exam easier every year and/or change moderation so every year results improve so the government can praise the education system, even though or is failing. By indulgenced standardised tests people are about 6pc less capable than at the turn off the century.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you looked at the exam results?!

And a this of it isn't a job story, it's chucked up that one of the Austin requires calculus to do proudly when our education secretaries are still too stupid to put it on the GCSE syllabus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, grades down across the board?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
No, grades down across the board?
Not a bell curve being the relevant bit. Grades aren't falling fast enough though.
Thatcher was right to oppose GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The questions agent hard though!!!
We just live in s system since the 80s with the introduction of GCSEs where you make the exam easier every year and/or change moderation so every year results improve so the government can praise the education system, even though or is failing. By indulgenced standardised tests people are about 6pc less capable than at the turn off the century.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you have some objective evidence they're not hard for the large majority of students then do please offer this?

And the conservatives have made (attempts at least, to make) exams harder over the past few years, have they not?

There has to be a limit and that's where people lose all sense of reality. Some would absolutely love if the entire AS Maths curriculum was stuffed into GCSE, but this is nowhere near realistic at this stage.
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
Only a philosopher could come up with that
I'm not on about the general importance (though Id argue languages are 10x more important) but the academic rigour of the A-level. Anyone with half a brain can get an A in Philosophy. The only subjects that are properly challenging are Languages, further maths, chemistry and physics. History, English and Biology also respectable and academic, but not quite so challenging.
Out of interest how many of these have you studied at A Level?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (83)
68.03%
No I haven't decided yet (23)
18.85%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
13.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed