Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That sucker punch changes things: if Villarreal get one at Anfield, we need three.

Now, we know we can score three. We did it against Dortmund, who are an infinitely better side. But Villarreal will come and they will frustrate, they will dig in, and they now have something to protect.

They are also a much better side going forward than many give them credit for. They had chances tonight, and I thought Bruno was excellent in the centre of the park - head and shoulders above anybody else in yellow.

I felt our midfield three had tremendous games. Milner was his usual experienced and industrious self, Lucas seamlessly came into the midfield like a top professional and a role model for the younger players, and Allen's deployment allowed us to get further up the pitch than we would have without him.

Regardless, Allen should score - we should have taken at least one goal back to Anfield with us - and the tie should look more pleasing than it currently does.

We didn't really force the issue, and that's the most galling thing. We seemed happy for a goalless draw, and that's fine when you're a Benitez side at the Bernabeu or Stamford Bridge in 2005, but we should have forced the issue tonight and we didn't.

That said, we also need better game management. We were caught too high up the pitch towards the end of the game. There's literally 90 seconds left, and we've given them a freebie.

There are plenty of positives to take out of tonight - the game is not dead, Moreno looks a different player to a month ago, Kolo Toure and Lovren had a calm and assured night which bodes well for Sakho's absence, and Mignolet was on form.

But Coutinho looked a shadow of the player we've come to expect, and I don't know if Klopp made the right team selection. Sturridge should have started -
    mainly because he's our main (and only) goal threat. I get why Firmino was deployed, but with Coutinho off colour (I'm willing to attribute his disappointing display to illness) and Lallana ineffective, we needed somebody who wasn't blunt in the attacking third - and that, for me, is Daniel Sturridge.

Edit: Oh, and I wouldn't have brought on Ibe.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the point of using Benteke was because Klopp was happy with a draw and wanted some hold up play.

ReputationRep:
    Disappointed that we played for a 0-0. It's a dodgy enough tactic when we have sakho-lovren but especialy with sakho out we were asking for a result like that. Away goals are important in this competition and we missed that opportunity. If they score in the second leg, we're going to have to do a dortmund all over again.

Sturridge absolutely must start next week, so no more than 60 minutes for him at the weekend plz. The newcastle result extinguished any faint hope of getting top 4, so **** the league now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Maybe the point of using Benteke was because Klopp was happy with a draw and wanted some hold up play.
    That was definitely the point. No question. Klopp's said he felt Benteke could help us with some defensive aspects of the game.

The more baffling substitution - for me, anyway - was Ibe initially at half-time. And then not to introduce Sturridge was baffling.

To score, you need goalscorers. And somebody can say "well, you would have been happy with a 0-0" but it wasn't looking like that sort of game at 60. There were chances there for us - chances to score - and we should have forced the issue.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ward likely to play on Sunday.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sunday's such a quick turnaround - 12pm kick-off - that I'd really hate to see anybody who featured last night play. That's another reason why I'd have used Sturridge last night, and rested him completely this weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Flanagan not in match day squads as Klopp wants him to build up his fitness.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...ains-11264217?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nice to see PL teams paying their respects for the verdicts this week with applause and YNWA.

ReputationRep:
    Danny Ward to start today I've heard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LFC_RV)
    Danny Ward to start today I've heard?
    From what we expect, yes.

I'm glad - he had a very good debut against Bournemouth and was desperately unlucky not to get a clean sheet.

If he can repeat a performance like that tomorrow, I'll be very optimistic about his future as our 2nd keeper, still in the hope that we sell and replace Mignolet for the top spot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    From what we expect, yes.

I'm glad - he had a very good debut against Bournemouth and was desperately unlucky not to get a clean sheet.

If he can repeat a performance like that tomorrow, I'll be very optimistic about his future as our 2nd keeper, still in the hope that we sell and replace Mignolet for the top spot.
    With that long contract and high wages, he's not going anywhere. Might be better for Ward to go on loan and get regular game time again to develop quicker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    With that long contract and high wages, he's not going anywhere. Might be better for Ward to go on loan and get regular game time again to develop quicker.
    I said hope, not expectation
    Who knows? He hasn't been terrible in recent months (just the odd fatal error...) - maybe we could sell him if we're lucky.

Yeah, I think today is important for him to show that the Bournemouth game wasn't a fluke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    I said hope, not expectation
    Who knows? He hasn't been terrible in recent months (just the odd fatal error...) - maybe we could sell him if we're lucky.

Yeah, I think today is important for him to show that the Bournemouth game wasn't a fluke.
    I think it's the dream for everyone

Wonder what the starting line-up will be like today..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I think it's the dream for everyone

Wonder what the starting line-up will be like today..
    We'll probably change the majority of the back 5, maybe keeping one first teamer (Lovren or Moreno I reckon).

We'll probably play Stewart in midfield and Sturridge up front. After that it's hard to judge because we have so many injuries and will likely be rotating in the second half too.

P.S: Is Can back yet or is that next game?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ward, Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Smith, Stewart, Chirivella, Ibe, Ojo, Coutinho, Sturridge.

Subs: Mignolet, Benteke, Lallana, Lucas, Brannagan, Teixeira.

6 subs as Randall had a virus. Skrtel captain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    We'll probably change the majority of the back 5, maybe keeping one first teamer (Lovren or Moreno I reckon).

We'll probably play Stewart in midfield and Sturridge up front. After that it's hard to judge because we have so many injuries and will likely be rotating in the second half too.

P.S: Is Can back yet or is that next game?
    Can has ruptured ankle ligaments so will miss the rest of our season.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    1-0 Swansea deserved.

ReputationRep:
    1-0 Ayew
    From a corner.

This is the worst I've seen us all season.
    Absolutely shocking.

ReputationRep:
    This is already reminding me of the Hull and West Brom games at the end of last season, playing like **** running the season down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    This is already reminding me of the Hull and West Brom games at the end of last season, playing like **** running the season down.
    Attackers aren't pressing, midfield getting embarrassingly overrun and it's leaving the defence ridiculously exposed. Nothing the back 5 can do here.

We have too many players on the pitch who want to run with the ball and they're losing possession too easily. Terrible.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.