The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
Invading a defenseless country and slaughtering thousands of civilians can hardly be described as a 'fair fight'.

It's not really slaughtering thousands though is it. Israel tends to respond to Palestinian attacks. The pattern is, Palestinians attack, Israelis respond.

The Israelis are better at protecting its people. The Palestinians are happy to create civilian casualties for propoganda purposes.
Original post by felamaslen
But they didn't predominantly immigrate from Europe. Less than half came from Europe. Many came from America and huge numbers came from North Africa and the Middle East (in fact, many were forced to by oppression, as in the case of Libya with its pogroms). Why are you highlighting the European ones as if they are somehow worse?

Anyway you said that the "Zionists of Israel should leave and go back to Europe...", ergo you support an ethnic cleansing since that would entail millions of Jews, who are mostly Zionists, to leave their home country.

More, and worse, injustice does not cure past injustice.

I'm not support ethnic cleansing of all jews, I didn't say kill them off which is what Israel is trying to do with the Palestinians. My argument is many suffer at the hand of Israel not just Palestinians. Immigrant Jews from Africa also suffer at the hands of the Israeli government. Surely with you defending Israel you're also supporting the ethnic cleansing of millions of Palestinians.
Actaully that's not the pattern. The Pro Israel lobby always paints the picture of Israel 'responding'.

How about Israel blockading the citizens of Gaza and stopping basic supplies getting in?

Israel is as much the aggressor as anyone.
Israel slaughtering thousands of innocent civilians is not protecting its people.

I'd stick a blockade around Palestine if I was in charge of Israel to try and stop the rockets coming in that are targeting Israeli civilians.

Israel's main priority is to defend it's population. Not Palestinian civilians who the Palestinian authorities are more than happy to knowingly out into the firing line to cause casualties.

http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/09/hamas-quietly-admits-it-fired-rockets-from-civilian-areas/380149/

http://m.ndtv.com/world-news/ndtv-exclusive-how-hamas-assembles-and-fires-rockets-641680
Original post by QueenSI
I'm not support ethnic cleansing of all jews, I didn't say kill them off which is what Israel is trying to do with the Palestinians. My argument is many suffer at the hand of Israel not just Palestinians. Immigrant Jews from Africa also suffer at the hands of the Israeli government. Surely with you defending Israel you're also supporting the ethnic cleansing of millions of Palestinians.

If Israel is trying to "kill off" the Palestinians, why has the Palestinian population grown enormously over the last few decades? E.g. in Gaza there are now 1.8 million people.

Ethnic cleansing is not the same as killing off. It is the forced removal of a population by any means. You advocate an ethnic cleansing of the Jewish population of Israel.

If African immigrant Jews suffer so much in Israel, why do they constantly risk their lives trying to get there? They aren't stupid.
Oy vey! We can't let the Palestinian supporters have a place on campus, can we goyim?
Original post by MatureStudent36
I'd stick a blockade around Palestine if I was in charge of Israel to try and stop the rockets coming in that are targeting Israeli civilians.

Israel's main priority is to defend it's population. Not Palestinian civilians who the Palestinian authorities are more than happy to knowingly out into the firing line to cause casualties.

http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/09/hamas-quietly-admits-it-fired-rockets-from-civilian-areas/380149/

http://m.ndtv.com/world-news/ndtv-exclusive-how-hamas-assembles-and-fires-rockets-641680

Sending links is not a substitute for an actual argument.
I have Israeli citizenship, I've lived in Israel, I don't need you to send me any crap biased links about the conflict thankyou very much.
The average age of Gaza is 17. Israel recklessly bombed schools and hospitals which they knew civilians were hiding in. Israel can defend itself against rocket attacks thanks to American money, it didn't need to go in.

It went into Gaza, it slaughtered thousands of civilians.
Hamas are awful, but that doesn't excuse Israel.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SotonianOne
Israel.

Because Palestinians are Jordanians. I do not condone all of Israel's actions though, I think their economic sanctions are taking it too far. Palestine is far too radicalized to just "let it go", but I think an immediate two-state solution and a gradual release of sanctions should be in place, along with some constitutional guarantees, such as a ban on a Palestinian military and a mandatory check by Israel on all goods coming into Palestine.

And around 70% of modern Israeli's are Europeans. Does that give them the right to displace people?
Why should Israel check all the imported goods, it's not like it doesn't do that anyway. Palestine doesn't have a military. Whilst Israel's "defence" force is one of the best equipped and funded in the world.
I reckon both Israel and Palestine, share a heavy burden of guilty for shelling one another's civilian populations for mere political gain.

Neither side can be considered 'heroic' due to the staggering loss of human life that has been created from this lengthy stand off.
Original post by DesmondHarry
And around 70% of modern Israeli's are Europeans. Does that give them the right to displace people?

What gives someone the right to displace people?

Original post by DesmondHarry
Why should Israel check all the imported goods, it's not like it doesn't do that anyway. Palestine doesn't have a military. Whilst Israel's "defence" force is one of the best equipped and funded in the world.

Yeah I don't know where you've been when the tunnels were being built and Hamas were shooting rockets and killing Israeli soldiers once a month for the past 30 years but it wasn't on Earth.

Israel should check all imported goods precisely for that reason. The only goods that should enter Palestine are capital and consumer goods. Not materiel.
This debate is always being had:

[video="youtube;jjkivkkZYNo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjkivkkZYNo[/video]
What gives someone the right to displace people?

Yeah I don't know where you've been when the tunnels were being built and Hamas were shooting rockets and killing Israeli soldiers once a month for the past 30 years but it wasn't on Earth.

Israel should check all imported goods precisely for that reason. The only goods that should enter Palestine are capital and consumer goods. Not materiel.

Collectively punishing the entire population of Gaza which has an average age of 17 for the actions of a few extremists is absurd.
How about Israel forcibly displacing Palestinians from their homes in the West Bank where they don't have a right of appeal?
If you think bombing Palestinian hospitals and schools in which little children are hiding for their lies is justifiable then there really is no hope.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ExcitedPup
It's an odd sort of apartheid where all 1.1 million Arab Israelis have the vote, and where in surveys the majority of them prefer to remain living under an Israeli government than the Palestinian Authority.

Considering the apartheid analogy is generally meant as about the occupied territories, especially the West Bank, rather than 'Israel proper', this is irrelevant.

And it's an odd sort of apartheid where Nelson Mandela would have said, "I feel at home here". I think Nelson would have known apartheid when he sees it.

I can't find any reference to such a quote. The closest thing I can find is him saying “Now I feel at home my rabbi is here” in reaction to meeting the South African chief rabbi in Israel.

Then again, if you want to talk people who 'would have known apartheid when they saw it', then you could also say Desmond Tutu, Kgalema Motlanthe or Ahmed Kathrada, to give just a few who have all used the apartheid analogy with regard to Palestine.
Collectively punishing the entire population of Gaza which has an average age of 17 for the actions of a few extremists is absurd.

Wow, I never knew they are reproducing like rabbits. You've actually made me more anti-Palestine, it seems they are all young and indoctrinated & radicalized at a severely premature age.

How about Israel forcibly displacing Palestinians from their homes in the West Bank where they don't have a right of appeal?

At no point have I supported that.

If you think bombing Palestinian hospitals and schools in which little children are hiding for their lies is justifiable then there really is no hope.

If you think leaving Palestinian hospitals and schools alone even though they are shooting and storing rockets is justifiable and Israel should simply take it then there really is no hope.
Wow, I never knew they are reproducing like rabbits. You've actually made me more anti-Palestine, it seems they are all young and indoctrinated & radicalized at a severely premature age.

At no point have I supported that.

If you think leaving Palestinian hospitals and schools alone even though they are shooting and storing rockets is justifiable and Israel should simply take it then there really is no hope.

So you're anti Palestinian because it has a lot of young defencelss people?
You think they should bomb schools and hospitals which have little children hiding in? Most of these schools were PROVEN not to have rockets in.

Yet you support the murder of young children? Okay then.

I'm not anti-Palestinian, I am swaying to being anti-Palestinian, because they multiply at rates higher than Uganda which is unsustainable and I don't see why Israel should be responsible or be held accountable for this and any future diseases/famines/problems/riots as it seems a domestic cultural problem.

But yes, I am becoming more anti-Palestinian thanks to this website as I am beginning to notice that the majority of anti-Israelis and pro-Palestinians tend to be whiny little liberals, not a movement I want to be associated with.

You think they should bomb schools and hospitals which have little children hiding in? Most of these schools were PROVEN not to have rockets in.

3 schools were proven to contain rockets out of 7 bombed. No, I do not condone these and I believe shelling of schools and/or shelters should be prevented until the very last resorts, but the fact that 3 schools were found to contain weapons is enough to raise questions for me about the validity of the UN and the Gaza cause.

Err .. no.
I'm not anti-Palestinian, I am swaying to being anti-Palestinian, because they multiply at rates higher than Uganda which is unsustainable and I don't see why Israel should be responsible or be held accountable for this and any future diseases/famines/problems/riots as it seems a domestic cultural problem.

But yes, I am becoming more anti-Palestinian thanks to this website as I am beginning to notice that the majority of anti-Israelis and pro-Palestinians tend to be whiny little liberals, not a movement I want to be associated with.

3 schools were proven to contain rockets out of 7 bombed. No, I do not condone these and I believe shelling of schools and/or shelters should be prevented until the very last resorts, but the fact that 3 schools were found to contain weapons is enough to raise questions for me about the validity of the UN and the Gaza cause.

Err .. no.

You do know rockets barely kill any civilians? Israel has an amazing Iron DOme defence system which gets pretty much everything. The only Israelis killed are soldiers who invade Gaza.
Oh yes and liberals are awful aren't they? Damn liberals caring about human life rather than supporting the slaughtering of innocent civilians like you are.
You literally just supported bombing schools and hospitals which had little children hiding in them. In other words you supported the murder of children.

I suggest avoiding using conventional morality to reason with him. I've found several times that he lacks the compassion or empathy to care.
Original post by Jacky Hearts
I suggest avoiding using conventional morality to reason with him. I've found several times that he lacks the compassion or empathy to care.

He said there's no hope because I don't support bombing a hospital in which children were hiding for their lives.
Deary me.

So I don't support the mass killing of civilians and i'm the extremist?
(edited 8 years ago)
You do know rockets barely kill any civilians? Israel has an amazing Iron DOme defence system which gets pretty much everything. The only Israelis killed are soldiers who invade Gaza.

So? Each rocket costs around 100 000 dollars. The upkeep of Iron Dome's existence goes into the hundreds of millions. Why should Israel suffer economically as a result? Would you justify Hamas shelling Israel every single day just because of the Iron Dome? (if the answer is yes, dont bother replying)

With 735 rockets hit down during that period that's a cost of 73 500 000. Funny though, because 33% of Gaza'an rockets launched by Hamas have landed in Gaza. Which is why I heavily doubt the validity of statistics.

The cost of the July/August operation was 2 500 000 billion, which is more than 1% of Israel's GDP. It also resulted in a GDP contraction of -0.4%. That's a terrible economic consequence. If this carried on for a year, Israel wouldn't be able to survive.

Oh yes and liberals are awful aren't they?

Yes they are terrible human beings. The world would be much better without them.

You literally just supported bombing schools and hospitals which had little children hiding in them. In other words you supported the murder of children.

Pull another straw.
So? Each rocket costs around 100 000 dollars. The upkeep of Iron Dome's existence goes into the hundreds of millions. Why should Israel suffer economically as a result? Would you justify Hamas shelling Israel every single day just because of the Iron Dome? (if the answer is yes, dont bother replying)

With 735 rockets hit down during that period that's a cost of 73 500 000. Funny though, because 33% of Gaza'an rockets launched by Hamas have landed in Gaza. Which is why I heavily doubt the validity of statistics.

The cost of the July/August operation was 2 500 000 billion, which is more than 1% of Israel's GDP. It also resulted in a GDP contraction of -0.4%. That's a terrible economic consequence. If this carried on for a year, Israel wouldn't be able to survive.

Yes they are terrible human beings. The world would be much better without them.

Pull another straw.

Has anyone told you that lives are more important than money and economics or is that a new one to you?

I'm also interested to hear your problem with Liberals, but you strike me as someone who doesn't really know much about ideologies other than what the Mail says so I'd expect a nonsensical rant.

Latest

Trending

Trending