This discussion is closed.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
If you have some objective evidence they're not hard for the large majority of students then do please offer this?

And the conservatives have made (attempts at least, to make) exams harder over the past few years, have they not?

There has to be a limit and that's where people lose all sense of reality. Some would absolutely love if the entire AS Maths curriculum was stuffed into GCSE, but this is nowhere near realistic at this stage.
The majority should be irrelevant. Are you suggesting that there shouldn't be any questions to challenge the able?
As I said earlier, the telegraph included two of the questions in its online article and as I said earlier one shouldn't be challenging to the able (the other was the one requiring calculus)

I don't think all of AS should be HCSE, bit some such as the very simple calculus including polynomials at the VERY least should be

The diffusion of topics from a level to GCSE had really slowed, consequently from degree to a level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
The majority should be irrelevant
No. Then the majority won't have as good a chance at getting that B grade that colleges and unis love to circlejerk over and will be even more disadvantaged (especially if they're poor unsurprisingly). It should not all be about the super intellectuals.

Are you suggesting that there shouldn't be any questions to challenge the able?
If by able you imply proficient - not once have I said this. You wanna challenge the more able, then you give them the option to take AS Maths exam in Year 11 as plenty of schools already do.

"Able" is a broad term. If "able" is not the majority then I would call them proficient.

said earlier one shouldn't be challenging to the able (the other was the one requiring calculus)
If they don't learn calculus then why should it be in there exactly?

I don't think all of AS should be HCSE, bit some such as the very simple calculus including polynomials at the VERY least should be
And it's perfectly acceptable to think this way, but not to have students rushed into it. It will take a few years to get students built up to higher levels of intellect and I think (based on the article about the difficult questions) they are being rushed there too early after supposedly years of dumbed-down Maths.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by St. Brynjar)
Out of interest how many of these have you studied at A Level?
Probably studied Maths, Further Maths, Bio, Chem & Physics and achieved A*A*A*A*A* and any other subject is utter toff
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably studied Maths, Further Maths, Bio, Chem & Physics and achieved A*A*A*A*A* and any other subject is utter toff
Tbh I'm just butthurt that Geography didn't make the cut :'(
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You make very little sense, you know that, right?
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by St. Brynjar)
Out of interest how many of these have you studied at A Level?
For what it's worth: french, German, (highly challenging / academic) English language, (not at all) general studies (the lowest of the low) and biology (academic enough but not at the level of physics or chemistry).

My point (which I fear has been mistaken slightly and is making me look a snob) isn't that certain subjects are better than others. Just that some require a more academic outlook, but then there are others that require more hard work and graft, some improve other skills etc.
Oxbridge did produce a list a while back of exams they considered 'challenging' and philosophy wasn't on there.
Geography was, though but it ranked below history
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm actually disappointed in philosophy at A level. My peers make such dumb arguments. I routinely have to gout people in class discussion for simple errors such as collapsing a lack of options into an inability to choose, for example. I look at most peoples essays and i think "that's wrong, that's a fallacy, this does not follow" but because you've picked one of the 3 outdated possible conclusions and argued it from the text book, well done you you've got an A.

I wish they enforced the study of logic at A level philosophy.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
For what it's worth: french, German, (highly challenging / academic) English language, (not at all) general studies (the lowest of the low) and biology (academic enough but not at the level of physics or chemistry).

My point (which I fear has been mistaken slightly and is making me look a snob) isn't that certain subjects are better than others. Just that some require a more academic outlook, but then there are others that require more hard work and graft, some improve other skills etc.
Oxbridge did produce a list a while back of exams they considered 'challenging' and philosophy wasn't on there.
Too be fair on that list (if you're talking about the one I'm thinking of) said that challenging subjects such as economics and I think philosophy were respected but they didn't include them because they weren't required subjects for many courses. Btw It's hard to compare humanities and Science subjects ; I find people who are good at sciences really struggle with history.
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)

Fair enough, wish I had the balls to take French A Level instead of bloody English. FWIW I did English Lit/Lang, Geog & Maths A2, Geology, Chemistry & EPQ AS, largely after seeing that Oxbridge 'facilitating' subjects list. Geography below history? Where did you see that?
honeywell17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Too be fair on that list (if you're talking about the one I'm thinking of) said that challenging subjects such as economics and I think philosophy were respected but they didn't include them because they weren't required subjects for many courses. Btw It's hard to compare humanities and Science subjects ; I find people who are good at sciences really struggle with history.
Well Biology and History are my best two subjects
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by honeywell17)
Well Biology and History are my best two subjects
Among the recognized hard subject, difficulty is so individual and subjective.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm actually disappointed in philosophy at A level. My peers make such dumb arguments. I routinely have to gout people in class discussion for simple errors such as collapsing a lack of options into an inability to choose, for example. I look at most peoples essays and i think "that's wrong, that's a fallacy, this does not follow" but because you've picked one of the 3 outdated possible conclusions and argued it from the text book, well done you you've got an A.

I wish they enforced the study of logic at A level philosophy.
nonononononono
If you did that grades would fall! couldn't possibly do that, it would suggest the colleges are failing and/or people are getting dumber, neither of which is acceptable! </piss taking>
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
nonononononono
If you did that grades would fall! couldn't possibly do that, it would suggest the colleges are failing and/or people are getting dumber, neither of which is acceptable! </piss taking>
To be fair I'd say I was exceptionally good at philosophy for my level of education and that since many of my peers are academic in their own right, it shows that the knack to arguing philosophically isn't easy.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be fair I'd say I was exceptionally good at philosophy for my level of education and that since many of my peers are academic in their own right, it shows that the knack to arguing philosophically isn't easy.
Not necessarily.
For an intelligent person you don't seem cynical enough. The ONLY thing most governments care about in education is to be able to claim that the system is making people smarter, and if they can't argue that they find somebody else to blame, such as with Sturgeon and the Scottish Education Secretary.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not necessarily.
For an intelligent person you don't seem cynical enough. The ONLY thing most governments care about in education is to be able to claim that the system is making people smarter, and if they can't argue that they find somebody else to blame, such as with Sturgeon and the Scottish Education Secretary.
I'm aware of the political side of dumbing down, but i wouldn't single out philosophy at A level and I would say that the dumbing down is overhyped.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm aware of the political side of dumbing down, but i wouldn't single out philosophy at A level and I would say that the dumbing down is overhyped.
I wouldn't say it's over hyped that much
At least one of the maths questions deemed too hard was just fine (another lot of Pythagoras and then some trig), those are the sort of questions that should be in exams, but no, somebody had to think, it's too hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't say it's over hyped that much
At least one of the maths questions deemed too hard was just fine (another lot of Pythagoras and then some trig), those are the sort of questions that should be in exams, but no, somebody had to think, it's too hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths is a tricky one to solve though. On the one hand, if you're good enough to do it at uni, gcse and a level is trivial. On the other hand, make it to hard or too much like pure maths and more people fail and it becomes useless to the scientists. It a "clicky" subject that and that makes the balance much harder.
Snufkin
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Why not?! It's one the key languages you need to learn to succeed in business,Arabic, Mandarin and Russian.

Arabic + Russian = Middle Eastern jobs.
English + Mandarin = Asian jobs.
French + German = Western European jobs.
German + Russian = Eastern European jobs.
Portuguese + Spanish = South American jobs.
English = Rest of the world.

Of course he did, he did it so he could impress me and then I'll consider him to be my fluffer
Gosh no, Mandarin's importance/usefulness is way overhyped.
Needs2Achieve
Badges: 6
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anon_98)
Ahh well thats good!
😭😭😭Thats terrible, Im sorry!!- 5! What are they playing at -huh?!¿

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just got to revise a lot
Anon_98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Needs2Achieve)
Just got to revise a lot
Yeah, I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads